Bye Bye Sunak..

MikeHunt

Re: Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by MikeHunt »

Announcing the cancellation of HS2 to Manchester at a party conference in Manchester, have they copied a plot line from the thick of it?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67008051.amp

I don't actually think it's that bad an idea - It's obviously not as ballsy as just banning it, but it's one way to phase it out.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:58 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67008051.amp

I don't actually think it's that bad an idea - It's obviously not as ballsy as just banning it, but it's one way to phase it out.
Reminds me of my ex-stepson - he turned 16 before the minimum age was raised to 18 so he started smoking legally, was banned, then was permitted to again. If the age limit increases by one year every year, someone who is currently 18 will always be able to smoke and someone who is 17 won't ever be able to do so legally. Which seems a very difficult thing to enforce by the time they reach their 20s, 30s etc.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its ridiculous. Sorry sir, I'm afraid the legal age this year is 42 and you are only 41 so are simply too young :lol:

Does this also cover Cuban cigars as well as cigarettes? I'm just imagining kids switching to Cohibas to get round it :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Pipes?

I think he should also impose a maximum age for vaping, probably 21.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Maybe cannabis will be legalised by then to take up its place...
No idea if it's a good idea or not and perhaps it'll be another thing for gangs to deal.
Also doesn't sit right with me banning it outright, you can look at alcohol and obesity related deaths and then start banning things related to those and it's all a bit of a slippery slope.
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:45 pm Its ridiculous. Sorry sir, I'm afraid the legal age this year is 42 and you are only 41 so are simply too young :lol:

Does this also cover Cuban cigars as well as cigarettes? I'm just imagining kids switching to Cohibas to get round it :lol:
The point is that the 41 year old would never have been able to buy cigarettes so would be less likely to want/need them anyway.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:53 pm Maybe cannabis will be legalised by then to take up its place...
No idea if it's a good idea or not and perhaps it'll be another thing for gangs to deal.
Also doesn't sit right with me banning it outright, you can look at alcohol and obesity related deaths and then start banning things related to those and it's all a bit of a slippery slope.
Most towns and cities stink of weed when you walk around, it's almost like it has been legalised 😂😂
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm now, as a non-smoker, browsing cigars. I'm not sure this is having the effect Sunak wants.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:18 pm Announcing the cancellation of HS2 to Manchester at a party conference in Manchester, have they copied a plot line from the thick of it?
It's all good though - they're going to extend the Metrolink to Manchester Airport according to Rishi.*

* That line opened in 2014 :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

See!! He’s delivering already… :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:21 pm
GG. wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:45 pm Its ridiculous. Sorry sir, I'm afraid the legal age this year is 42 and you are only 41 so are simply too young :lol:

The point is that the 41 year old would never have been able to buy cigarettes so would be less likely to want/need them anyway.
exactly, but hey Ho - let's fight for the right for a child who's 14 now to legally get addicted to something with absolutely zero health benefits and huge health risks!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:07 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:21 pm

exactly, but hey Ho - let's fight for the right for a child who's 14 now to legally get addicted to something with absolutely zero health benefits and huge health risks!
Are they even smoking anyway? They're more likely to vape aren't they? Can't remember the last time I saw anyone in the UK below the age of 30 smoking actual cigarettes.

Seems like another non-policy to me
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Really?

Quite surprising how many young people seem to be into it now tbh. Seems to be a bit of a cool anti-vape thing any the moment.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Isn't this 'escalating smoking age' thing what New Zealand are already doing?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:22 pm Isn't this 'escalating smoking age' thing what New Zealand are already doing?
yep, it's not a brand new idea.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Another left wing policy from a very confused conservative party :lol:
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Kids don’t want to smoke now. They just want to suck on pretty coloured tasty vapes. Mmmmmmmm addictive watermelon
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Disposable vapes can get to fuck too. An astonishing waste of resources.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

jamcg wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:36 am Kids don’t want to smoke now. They just want to suck on pretty coloured tasty vapes. Mmmmmmmm addictive watermelon
Exactly, kids want vapes, a lot of older teens are moving back to proper cigs because so many young kids are into vapes
Cheers, Harry