Re: The Watches Thread

Post by GG. »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:34 am
GG. wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:44 am
dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:18 am
I have a Seamaster from 1962
Pictures please!!
I've no pictures of mine so library pic

the straps gone and it's back not working again - winding mechanism is broken. In truth, it's probably too brittle to wear any more. even just for Special Events which is all I wear it for
Very nice. The comment about it being brittle is what I worry about. If I spent significant money on one (IIRC yours was an heirloom?) I would want it to work!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah heirloom - my great Uncle’s retirement present from the Irish Police
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:03 am
dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:45 am Went looking at Omega's yesterday - there seems to be several new face colours and shades that i haven't seen before
They released a new Aquaterra in 2022, although I've yet to actually find an AD/shop that has any yet!

And even though I quite like it, they're £6000 now

That's daft money IMO for such a watch
I tried on a small seconds Aqua Terra in New York in June. Think it worked out about £5k at the exchange rate that day; that seemed expensive to me but I realised when I got home it was cheaper than here.

Nice as it was, it felt a bit soulless. I prefer the older versions with the lines faces. The case also felt thick; I expected it to be more elegant. Putting my Seamaster back on I simply liked what I have much more. Saved some money 😄
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:45 pm
DaveE wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:03 am
dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:45 am Went looking at Omega's yesterday - there seems to be several new face colours and shades that i haven't seen before
They released a new Aquaterra in 2022, although I've yet to actually find an AD/shop that has any yet!

And even though I quite like it, they're £6000 now

That's daft money IMO for such a watch
I tried on a small seconds Aqua Terra in New York in June. Think it worked out about £5k at the exchange rate that day; that seemed expensive to me but I realised when I got home it was cheaper than here.

Nice as it was, it felt a bit soulless. I prefer the older versions with the lines faces. The case also felt thick; I expected it to be more elegant. Putting my Seamaster back on I simply liked what I have much more. Saved some money 😄
I think you were wearing your Omega to the meet but I didn't get a good look at it - which variant is it again?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

2016 ceramic Seamaster 300M in black. The model with the plain face, not the original with waves or current one with waves. Ironic that I thought the AT was boring when I have the simplest looking version of mine 😄
GG.

Post by GG. »

It is very elegant - pulls off the sports/dress combination well.
John

Post by John »

I think my Seamaster 300m is my favourite watch. It might get relegated from use when I buy a new watch but once the newness wears off that I usually return to the Seamaster on a regular basis.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Which version do you have John? A mate of mine has an original model from the late 90s and would never sell it. He also has a 2004 Submariner which is so much more elegant than the more recent maxi case versions, but has such a jangly bracelet.
John

Post by John »

It's the later model, on a rubber strap. My rubbish photos don't do the watch face justice so I won't bother :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Mine is on a leather strap - I don’t mind the bracelet despite it being divisive but I do think taking it off the bracelet, which draws attention to itself somewhat, allows the watch itself to shine.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Pete_ wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:06 am A 60 year old watch would surely be more trouble than it's worth...
A week after me dissing old watches... :lol:

When I went to visit him a few days ago my dad gave me his old Omega which he found in a drawer . I never remember him wearing it but did once find it in a cupboard when I was a child and thought it was cool.

It's a Genève Chronostop from the late '60s / early '70s and amazingly it's running well for a watch that's been sitting in drawers for decades. There's a bit of a clump sound when it's rotated though so will need to get it serviced, but would like to get the crystal polished up or replaced anyway (can't see the omega logo on it so don't think it's original anyway).

The original strap was completely destroyed. I know the NATO on a non dive watch will be triggering to some but the colours work well I think so will leave it on this for a bit. Would like to get a mesh bracelet or rally style strap for it at some point but it won't be worn daily so no rush..

Nice video on this model for anyone interested:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Now for the other end of the spectrum :lol:
The Apple Watch really doesn’t like high g-force events. Anything involving hammering or other such violent actions will cause it to try to dial 999 and sometimes even reboot…
So I invested 10 of my finest British pounds on this bad boy:
I primarily picked it because it doesn’t look like a copy of a Rolex/Omega. I’m not actually sure what it’s based on…

Must say it’s a decent watch, nicely finished, actual leather strap, and even the glass is nice. I usually hate cheaper watches as the glass looks rubbish when you view them from an indirect angle but this is …very good

Let’s see how it holds up after some furious hammering.
That sounds wrong.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Even if it is cheap tat, it boggles my mind how someone can make that and still make a profit off a £10 sale price.

Edit: not saying it is cheap tat. It looks nice.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:02 pm
I primarily picked it because it doesn’t look like a copy of a Rolex/Omega. I’m not actually sure what it’s based on…
You are correct... it is a copy of a Heuer / Tag Heuer Carrera

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I have a soft spot for the Omega Aquaterra, but I'm buggered if I'm spending £6k on one

Thankfully, San Martin heard my prayers, and only wanted £150 :lol:

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:40 pm

So it is. Pleased to note that my copy is accurate down to the minute details such as having it's chronograph hands ever so slightly misaligned just like the real thing in the image above :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

GG. wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:40 pm

There's a resemblance to some El Primero variations too I think. Though obviously without the blue outer ring.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:42 pm I have a soft spot for the Omega Aquaterra, but I'm buggered if I'm spending £6k on one

Thankfully, San Martin heard my prayers, and only wanted £150 :lol:

The lugs are a noticeably different shape to the Aqua Terra but the face on that is nice.

After your message last night I had a good look at the Seiko Alpinist GMT, which is available as a limited edition for £1290 or a non-limited version for £990. It's a bit thicker than a normal Alpinist (thick watches annoy me) but the limited edition has a nice vibe of Alpinist crossed with polar Explorer II - the indices are a bit Explorer as well:

Looks like still the same basic Seiko bracelet though; even Seiko seem to realise Alpinists look best on straps because they sell the nicer versions with two alternative straps now: https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/product ... -spb355j1/ and https://www.seikowatches.com/be-fr/prod ... d_edition/
mik

Post by mik »

Watch related - following a pointer I bought a couple of "Scotchbrite Webrax" Scouring pads off ebay for £buttons and used the 100-grit one to re-brush the SuperEngII that I use with my Chris Ward C11 (but haven't worn for ages as it had picked up a couple of scratches that were annoying me). I'd used a small pad previously which was sold as watch-specific, but it appears to be the same material cut into 1/10th of the size.... :roll:

You have to take care to brush repeatedly in exactly the right direction, or it looks like a dogs dinner, but so long as you can do that - works great! Did the bracelet, and that gave me the confidence to also tidy up the sides of the watch case, and re-brush a couple of pieces of mrs mik's jewellery.

8-)
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

mik wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:19 am Watch related - following a pointer I bought a couple of "Scotchbrite Webrax" Scouring pads off ebay for £buttons and used the 100-grit one to re-brush the SuperEngII that I use with my Chris Ward C11 (but haven't worn for ages as it had picked up a couple of scratches that were annoying me). I'd used a small pad previously which was sold as watch-specific, but it appears to be the same material cut into 1/10th of the size.... :roll:

You have to take care to brush repeatedly in exactly the right direction, or it looks like a dogs dinner, but so long as you can do that - works great! Did the bracelet, and that gave me the confidence to also tidy up the sides of the watch case, and re-brush a couple of pieces of mrs mik's jewellery.

8-)
I was given some Polywatch a while back, and that was great at removing some light and heavier scratches from the 'glass' of a Timex I own - I'd recommend this if people have scratches on plastic