It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Mito Man

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by Mito Man »

Driver probably thought the cyclist would move over to make space but dodgy from both there.
I guess that's something else which is an unusual habit. With cars everyone is happy to move towards the kerb to make space, say there's a van stopped on the road, and you go to pass even if you're halfway across the oncoming lane. The oncoming car will happily make space. With a cyclist however that's a definite no and if anything they will try and hit you head on to prove a point about priority :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

She was in more or less the middle of the lane, but it looks like as she saw the approaching car/tried to get two hands on the bars/etc she accidentally caused herself to steer towards the edge of the lane and was inches away from the white line as the car passed. The car was a bit far over, but that wouldn't have been a problem if she was in control of the bike and maintained a more central position in the lane.
Screenshot_2023-09-27_18-16-10.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-27_18-16-10.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 841 times
It's a main road - better to spend more time paying attention to your positioning and maintaining it, and less time making jolly-what-ho over-enthusiastic arm gestures to other cyclists, on a vehicle almost entirely steered by your arms and body positioning/balance - which gets thrown off when you raise your arm above your head to wave at someone...

The more I watch that, the more I think it's almost entirely her own fault that being friendly nearly cost her a literal arm and a leg, even if it was accidental on her part.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

If they wanted to make a point about bad drivers they shouldn’t have included that external shot.

The car is no closer than a car going the same direction as her would have been at the same point. I struggle to believe the car was so fast it instantly appeared in front of her. Seemed completely oblivious to the whole situation until she nearly wobbled into the car.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:36 pm I really can't blame the cyclist in any way there - we didn't see why she was a way from the kerb but she was perfectly entitled to ride in the middle of the lane if she wanted. Good job she didn't; a very close shave.
we did see why she was weaving around so far from the kerb - she had one hand in the air, wasn't watching where she was going and wasn't in control of her bike.

I agree the car was clearly at fault and as you say, she could have positioned herself anywhere she wanted on that side of the road, but by weaving in and out, clearly out of control, she was riding far below what would be expected of a competent and careful cyclist.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The car was overtaking with an oncoming cyclist. There’s no way I’d have made that overtake. Cyclist was absolutely not at fault. FFS.

Victim blaming much?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:29 pm The car was overtaking with an oncoming cyclist. There’s no way I’d have made that overtake.
i 100% agree with that.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I probably wouldn’t have overtaken there, no. But if I was going the same direction as her would I have passed at the same time as the truck? Yes I probably would, and without seeing the speeds could have had just as high a closing speed.

If a cycle or motorcyclist wasn’t in control of their vehicle and nearly clipped me after wobbling and riding on the line down the middle of the road would I blame them? I certainly would!
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

If it was someone walking randomly down the road you would give them a wide berth. She wasn’t madly careering all over the place; the Highway Code specifically states how much space you must give a cyclist because of the fact they wobble around.

There was a video of a Land Rover passing some oncoming cyclists too close (but further than this Peugeot) on a narrow road which led to the Land Rover driver getting a conviction. I’ll see if I can find it.

ETA: here it is - https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/northamptons ... ter-video/
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Wonder if that land rover slowed down a bit and she fell in the ditch still would they still have been convicted, given that you can’t give 1.5m gap as the roads not a huge amount wider than that
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:41 am Wonder if that land rover slowed down a bit and she fell in the ditch still would they still have been convicted, given that you can’t give 1.5m gap as the roads not a huge amount wider than that
I don't think anyone here would just barrel past a cyclist on a single track lane without slowing down a bit. Sometimes it's just obvious when a driver is a cnut.

The Land Rover was further away from the cyclists and moving at a slower speed than the Peugeot in yesterday's video though. You could argue the cyclist in the Land Rover video was less competent too, since the waving lady did not fall off :lol:
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Looks like the truck moved slightly right to give the other cyclist space too.

Even if the bike wasn't there, the overtake appeared to be very close to the oncoming car. You can just see the headlights of a black car and there is not much space between the reg car and the truck as it moves back in front.
mik

Post by mik »

Not a cycle, but interesting.

Biker (who lost a toe in the accident) apparently received a nominal fine for this (presumably due to their speed being possible to calculate from the video evidence?).

A little more detail here. Provisional licence only, no insurance.

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:03 pm Not a cycle, but interesting.

Biker (who lost a toe in the accident) apparently received a nominal fine for this (presumably due to their speed being possible to calculate from the video evidence?).

A little more detail here. Provisional licence only, no insurance.

Speed camera in the shot likely triggered also. Although not sure if that's admissible evidence heading towards them
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
tim

Post by tim »

Fucked around & found out.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

Mr Vile is such a penis….

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m surprised he hasn’t had a heart attack or stroke from all that rage he carries with him. How can someone be so angry all the time 😂
How about not having a sig at all?