Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Rich B »

Video of both tyres...

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:06 pm Interesting idea - there are plenty around and perhaps they're just the right width to do this. Maybe there's some with a more pronounced edge on them?

Hmmmm...
A lot of those speed bumps have really rough edges from everyone straddling them. I'm sure that's what it'll be.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Makes sense to me too, and they’re usually coated with something abrasive. Ok you won’t be going that fast or covering huge distances over them, but it will put a lot of pressure on a small area, especially as the tread depth thins out as it curves into the sidewall.

I can’t see a simple geometry issue causing so much wear in such a small area unless it was miles out combined with very low pressure.
Cheers, Harry
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

100% that's island speed bumps sadly.

Best going over them as a pair than going over the actual island if you can, I used to see so many examples of that
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:05 pm I can’t see a simple geometry issue causing so much wear in such a small area unless it was miles out combined with very low pressure.
Yeah. Same. It's like you'd get BITD on a Cal look Beetle with really absurd camber. I wouldn't have guessed at speed cushions but it does make sense.
mik

Post by mik »

Fit some chunky 25mm rear spacers.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:57 pm Fit some chunky 25mm rear spacers.
it's the only sensible option left.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Model 3 seems to have lost quite a few electrons. I kept trying to run a battery health test via its onboard service menu tonight but it doesn’t seem to work.
Apparently the 2019 Model 3 had a 78.8 kwh battery of which 73.5 is usable.

So battery charged to 100% and discharged to 2.1% after using 61 kWh - let’s say there’s another 2 kWh left in that 2.2% - what’s happened to the rest…
63/73.5 = 16.7% degradation in almost 82k miles

The warranty is 120,000 miles at 30% so Elon has done his homework in that regard as the deg will come in under that.

Also if you want to keep an EV for a long time/high miles you need one with a way bigger battery pack than you initially think due to the deg.
188 miles range in 20 Celsius weather on a dry day ain’t much for longer trips and in reality you’ll want to stop 30 miles before that to find a supercharger as they’re not found everywhere like petrol stations.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Bit of semantics there Dave!

You could say it has 86% of its original battery status after 81,000 miles.

It's likely to be on 180k+ miles before the 70% threshold is met and way beyond what most ICE cars last anyway!

ETA - is it a 4wd model as 3 mile/kw seems really low?
Last edited by Carlos on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes, Performance model pre heat pump - its lifetime average is 312w per mile which about is what they all seem to achieve.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Last edited by Carlos on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:17 pm
Or 30mm even.

I think these are the right PCD and centrebore for yours (?). Come in silver or black. If they don't provide a complete cure, an extra 60mm track would have to improve things significantly.... (so long as they don't start fouling the arches of course - but I imagine there is plenty of space on a cooking 320D).
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s pretty shit for a battery considering it doesn’t have much range anyway.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

16vCento wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:36 pm 100% that's island speed bumps sadly.

Best going over them as a pair than going over the actual island if you can, I used to see so many examples of that
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I don't think it's speed cushions that are the cause. I've never had this issue on the E91, and yet our area is littered with these - I actually can't get out of our area without going down several roads with these. Lived here 11 years, and had the E91 virtually all that time. And Trafford Council don't do road maintenance, so most of those cushions are screwed, with sharp edges where the sides have worn away.

I don't know what the difference in track width is between E91 and F31 (I'd expect the F31 to be slighter wider), but the E91 doesn't fully straddle most of these speed cushions.

I need to check my rear wheel bearings this weekend, and take the rear arch liners off to check for any signs of corrosion (I will briefly become devoutly religious as I pray to all the divine beings on that score), so I'll take a look at my rear tyres to see if I have any similar signs on this latest set.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I think if it doesn't fully straddle a speed bump, and it's noticeable when you go over them, enough of the tyre is in contact to spread the load, and probably just wear out the lower arm bushes by pushing the arms apart instead :lol:

If they only just touch the bump, then this happens, I reckon the spacer idea would probably stop it happening altogether.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:33 am Yes, Performance model pre heat pump - its lifetime average is 312w per mile which about is what they all seem to achieve.
Is that just because it's a performance model? My LR has averaged 244w per mile over 2 years (currently averaging 211w) and 30k miles. Getting 300+ miles out of it is pretty easy. Was thinking about maybe getting the performance model next year, but not if the efficiency is that much lower.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:06 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:17 pm
Or 30mm even.

I think these are the right PCD and centrebore for yours (?). Come in silver or black. If they don't provide a complete cure, an extra 60mm track would have to improve things significantly.... (so long as they don't start fouling the arches of course - but I imagine there is plenty of space on a cooking 320D).
its got 255/35/19s on it, so it's not got loads of room left!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

16vCento wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:56 am I think if it doesn't fully straddle a speed bump, and it's noticeable when you go over them, enough of the tyre is in contact to spread the load, and probably just wear out the lower arm bushes by pushing the arms apart instead :lol:

If they only just touch the bump, then this happens, I reckon the spacer idea would probably stop it happening altogether.
Nah, I'm not having that. The gradient of the cushion will be consistent at the top and bottom (unles it's been repaired hundreds of time like the ones near us), so how much it doesn't fully straddle the cushion wouldn't make much difference. Besides, you'd expect any wear to be spread across the shoulders, and on Rich's tyres it looks like it's all entirely on the inner side of the sidewall.

You'd also expect similar wear on the front tyres of course if it were down to a feature on the road...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:43 am
16vCento wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:56 am I think if it doesn't fully straddle a speed bump, and it's noticeable when you go over them, enough of the tyre is in contact to spread the load, and probably just wear out the lower arm bushes by pushing the arms apart instead :lol:

Nah, I'm not having that. The gradient of the cushion will be consistent at the top and bottom (unles it's been repaired hundreds of time like the ones near us), so how much it doesn't fully straddle the cushion wouldn't make much difference. Besides, you'd expect any wear to be spread across the shoulders, and on Rich's tyres it looks like it's all entirely on the inner side of the sidewall.

You'd also expect similar wear on the front tyres of course if it were down to a feature on the road...
the fronts do have it too, but nowhere near as bad - though the fronts are only 225 width, so maybe the 30mm on each pushes them just out beyond the edge of the hump?

I'm fairly convinced on the suggestion. I've driven it to work today and I went over some bumps that do look like they have the ability to wear the inner tyres.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:13 am I'm fairly convinced on the suggestion. I've driven it to work today and I went over some bumps that do look like they have the ability to wear the inner tyres.
But only on BMWs... I think this is a bit of a red herring. Plenty of BMW drivers find the inside of the rears are worn down to the cords; it can't solely be one manufacturer's cars reacting to a specific type of speed hump can it?