Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by ZedLeg »

Voyager is a treat.
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00084 ... des/player

Excellent series, now with new episodes.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Sex Education final season

Brilliant TV with massively empowering narratives, I wish more TV was so positive. Great soundtrack too and special mention to whoever chose the cars for the series, some great choices in there.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:37 pm Sex Education final season

Brilliant TV with massively empowering narratives, I wish more TV was so positive. Great soundtrack too and special mention to whoever chose the cars for the series, some great choices in there.
great isn't it: I like the way the cars add a timeless quality to it too. Like they're chosen purely on character rather than to portray any specific time period. Plus The blue W123 is lovely.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:42 pm
Gavster wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:37 pm Sex Education final season

great isn't it: I like the way the cars add a timeless quality to it too. Like they're chosen purely on character rather than to portray any specific time period. Plus The blue W123 is lovely.
Very lovely, really distinctive private plate too. Agree about the timelessness too, they seem to cover a lot of decades with the cars, up until around the year 2000.

Also love the Groff family cars, a big Rover and a small Rover, fits that family personality perfectly :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

In my continuing adventures in pap tv we just finished Gilmore Girls. It has to be the most ambient tv show ever, no real drama, no real problems. Just a cast of ridiculous characters in a bubble. We liked it.
An absolute unit
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Rewatching The Expanse, as my first time around was patchy for the first 3 seasons so going full binge. Still brilliant.

Also new season of IASIP. Still amusing, Frank continues to carry it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:21 pm Voyager is a treat.
I've reached Season 5 and while it starts better than the other 90s series, the quality is.....inconsistent to say the least...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:19 am In my continuing adventures in pap tv we just finished Gilmore Girls. It has to be the most ambient tv show ever, no real drama, no real problems. Just a cast of ridiculous characters in a bubble. We liked it.
maybe it's time you considered an outdoor/sporting hobby?
mik

Post by mik »

A bit late to the party once again - I have now finished S1 & S2 of Top Boy Summerhouse, and re-started "S1" of Top Boy. (Having watched the first couple of episodes without appreciating the context). Gritty.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:36 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:19 am In my continuing adventures in pap tv we just finished Gilmore Girls. It has to be the most ambient tv show ever, no real drama, no real problems. Just a cast of ridiculous characters in a bubble. We liked it.
Christ, Rich woke up and chose violence today :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:38 am A bit late to the party once again - I have now finished S1 & S2 of Top Boy Summerhouse, and re-started "S1" of Top Boy. (Having watched the first couple of episodes without appreciating the context). Gritty.
theyve rebranded the first seasons as summerhouse haven't they - for Netflix? The first 2 series were incredible - some of the best tv ever imo.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:41 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:36 am
Christ, Rich woke up and chose violence today :lol:
He seems to have got bored now that Broccers has left and is trying to goad me into a reaction :lol:

I do have an outside hobby thanks Rich, I also work from home though so plenty of time sat on my arse with rubbish telly in the background.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jeez, it was only a joke...
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

I loved Gilmore Girls when it first aired (and was age appropriate). The way it made its own little world full of actual characters rather than just plot devices felt so calming and familiar once you got to know everyone. I used to rush home to watch it over the air because it felt more pure than recording.
'My So-Called Life' and 'Once and Again' are worth seeking out if you want to awaken more of your inner teenage girl. 'Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret' is also delightful for more recent movie in the same vein.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah I've always been a big fan of teen dramas so I've seen My So Called Life before. Party of five, Dawson's creek, the OC, I have the TV taste of a woman half my age :lol:
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Couple of recent ones...

The Woman in the Wall - Priest who ran the adoptions out of a Magdalene Laundry gets murdered years later and the investigation triggers a women to try to find her daughter. 6 parter - very good really. Ruth Wilson is a brilliant actor who manages to play Bipolar with an Irish accent perfectly. Neither are easy. She even manages the correct West of Ireland version of an Irish Accent.

The Long Shadow - Dramatisation of the investigation into the Yorkshire Ripper. Only one episode in and looks good so far. Toby Jones leads the cast. The similar Steeltown Murders from earlier in the year was also good.

The Black Snow - a young Aboriginal school kid was murdered in rural Queensland and a time capsule, buried shortly before her murder and opened 25 years after her death contains a letter suggesting she knew her killer. Story follows the Cold Case Officer assigned to investigate. 2 episodes in, plenty of twists and turns already and looking good so far.

Oh and I re-watched Chernobyl for about the 3rd or 4th time at the weekend - it really is a fantastic series.
Last edited by dinny_g on Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:48 am
mik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:38 am A bit late to the party once again - I have now finished S1 & S2 of Top Boy Summerhouse, and re-started "S1" of Top Boy. (Having watched the first couple of episodes without appreciating the context). Gritty.
theyve rebranded the first seasons as summerhouse haven't they - for Netflix? The first 2 series were incredible - some of the best tv ever imo.
Correct - a fuckaround that I missed. Luckily @John alerted me to that silliness before I got too far into Season1(actually Season3). :roll:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:48 am
Correct - a fuckaround that I missed. Luckily @John alerted me to that silliness before I got too far into Season1(actually Season3). :roll:
yeah, I did the same. I downloaded the whole of what I thought was the latest series before I went on a flight, only to find the same.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:48 pm
mik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:48 am theyve rebranded the first seasons as summerhouse haven't they - for Netflix? The first 2 series were incredible - some of the best tv ever imo.
yeah, I did the same. I downloaded the whole of what I thought was the latest series before I went on a flight, only to find the same.
enjoyed the last season, not as much as previous ones as it was a little predictable, but I suppose you get to know the characters after all this time. Still very good though.
Spoiler
It did suffer badly from "wrong car" casting for the last scene though, Sully and all the main characters have spent every episode in new range Rovers and Maseratis, so as soon as he got in the 64 plate A3 in the end I thought "that interior is about to be splattered with blood." Shame they couldn't have stretched to a fake interior or something to keep the final moment a little more "surprise".