The Watches Thread

GG.

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by GG. »

Interesting - its a nice looking watch, though I'm not sure enough history behind it - the conquest name has been stuck on pretty much everything over the years and I think most often referred to a dress watch in their line up (but I could be wrong).

I wonder if Harry has considered an Espada to go with his Espada :D

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

GG. wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:55 pm Interesting - its a nice looking watch, though I'm not sure enough history behind it - the conquest name has been stuck on pretty much everything over the years and I think most often referred to a dress watch in their line up (but I could be wrong).

That's a whole hunk of metal right there

Shame you said you didn't like the Zenith as that's where my mind went first of all

There are numerous variants of it though, and it ticks the 'has history' box very nicely...
GG.

Post by GG. »

DaveE wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:59 pm
GG. wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:55 pm Interesting - its a nice looking watch, though I'm not sure enough history behind it - the conquest name has been stuck on pretty much everything over the years and I think most often referred to a dress watch in their line up (but I could be wrong).

That's a whole hunk of metal right there

Shame you said you didn't like the Zenith as that's where my mind went first of all

There are numerous variants of it though, and it ticks the 'has history' box very nicely...
I really like that one (but an original and a bit pricey) and also this a3818, just not the one everyone envisages when they first say "El Primero" (which is an a386 I think)

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’d be tempted by a different version of the Speedmaster. Plenty of limited editions which mean your watch won’t be the same as most other people’s. Even a reduced - I was looking at those in a jeweller’s window yesterday and thought they were lovely.

The obvious alternative is a Daytona but I don’t actually like them much. The Longines above looks a bit Tag and I’d never have a Breitbling.

Although: do you really want a chrono? I find they tend to be much harder to read at a glance due to the busy faces and often the lack of contrast between the hands and the sub-dials.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I was always of that view that I'd never have a breitling but the new CEO has really changed the direction of the brand. The watch below is the one I mentioned above - I tried one on recently and at 41mm it felt very petite! It is also a replica of the original down to pretty minute detail - also manual wind so very thin.

Biggest issue I have with the Breitling is I think I prefer the look of the Longines Bigeye (which I said I wouldn't buy :roll: :lol: ):

Agree re the Daytonas - I would not buy a modern ceramic bezel one - just doesn't do it for me. The steel bezel versions are nice but way overpriced for what they are. The Paul Newman era ones are gorgeous but, errr, £50,000 :lol:

I do like chronographs. Legibility not a huge issue for me and I do use the chrono function itself (often for timing when cooking food / making coffee - much easier than using the stopwatch app in your phone).

Agree re the speedy - I like the tonneau case mk ii but actually the Zenith nails that look too, is more off the beaten path and has the record of being the worlds first integrated chronograph, so lots to like.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Speaking of watches...

I started a new job a few weeks ago and met the CEO last week - really nice chap, self-made, built and sold several companies and doing very nicely from it

He was wearing a Patek Philippe Nautilus Travel Time Chronograph 5990/1R-001

They seem to go for around £230-250k 😮

Definitely falls into my "appreciate but wouldn't buy [even if I could]" as I'm not a fan of yellow or rose gold

Complete baller watch though! :shock:

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think that would would look rather nice in brushed stainless steel.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:01 pm I think that would would look rather nice in brushed stainless steel.
They do!

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Lovely. Though it’s still £56,000 or so, I see. Not going to put my name down for one 😄
GG.

Post by GG. »

One of the recently made up partners in our place bought himself one of those (well not sure it was that reference but it was a PP Nautilus - I didn't want to stare too much :lol: )... can't say I'm not envious but agree - for that money it lacks imagination somewhat.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

It definitely resolves the legibility issues I find with most chronos so maybe…

Actually, my black Seiko Daytona-style chrono also resolves the legibility issues so I’ll stick to that 😄
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:08 pm Lovely. Though it’s still £56,000 or so, I see. Not going to put my name down for one 😄
That's retail of course

Good luck actually being able to buy one from an AD

Or getting one for less than twice that on the grey market

Watches are fucked now IMO, I've resigned myself to not actually owning another from Omega, Rolex etc*

Retail and grey prices are stupid now

* I have a circa 20 year old Omega Seamaster, the small one, in black
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Went looking at Omega's yesterday - there seems to be several new face colours and shades that i haven't seen before
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:45 am Went looking at Omega's yesterday - there seems to be several new face colours and shades that i haven't seen before
They released a new Aquaterra in 2022, although I've yet to actually find an AD/shop that has any yet!

And even though I quite like it, they're £6000 now

That's daft money IMO for such a watch
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Love the 70s style El Primeros.

A 60 year old watch would surely be more trouble than it's worth but the original version of that Breitling you like is pretty
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/breitling/br ... 012044.htm
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Pete_ wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:06 am Love the 70s style El Primeros.

A 60 year old watch would surely be more trouble than it's worth but the original version of that Breitling you like is pretty
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/breitling/br ... 012044.htm
I have a Seamaster from 1962 and yeah, it’s a lot of trouble (but worth it)

A lot of places won’t touch it any more. It needs to be sent to a place in Leicester for work. Although I’m sure there are lots of places in London who would work on it
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:18 am
I have a Seamaster from 1962 and yeah, it’s a lot of trouble (but worth it)
I am certain Simon Milek would be happy to work on it too.
https://www.instagram.com/milekandco/?hl=en
GG.

Post by GG. »

I think if I went vintage I'd be tempted by something like this Navitimer. No box but it has the original manual and proof of sale from 1966! £8k is a whole heap-a-change though.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/breitling/br ... 120547.htm

The fact that they were an oversized 41mm back in the day means they look completely "normal" today. Most other stuff from the 60s was about 35mm! Even those retro styled Zeniths from today are 37mm - that will take some getting used to after a 44mm Panerai.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I have a Seamaster from 1962
Pictures please!!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

GG. wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:44 am
I have a Seamaster from 1962
Pictures please!!
I've no pictures of mine so library pic

the straps gone and it's back not working again - winding mechanism is broken. In truth, it's probably too brittle to wear any more. even just for Special Events which is all I wear it for