Serial (not killer)

Do you make a note of serial numbers for expensive purchases?

1. Never bother. I see no point.
44%
2. I plan to, but only sometimes record them for big (ie expensive) items only (eg bikes, tellybox etc)
22%
3. I usually record them for big items.
No votes
4. I always record them for big items.
11%
5. I record them for big and medium-value items too.
11%
6. I record them for big, medium, and low value items.
No votes
7. I even record my cereal numbers
No votes
8. I created a log of all my serial numbers, and someone stole it.
No votes
9. Peas
No votes
10. Carrots
11%

Total votes: 9

mik

Serial (not killer)

Post by mik »

Do you make a note of them?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Serial (not killer)

Post by Rich B »

What numbers?
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:26 pmWhat numbers?
Eleventeen twentington.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

That’s numberwang!

I’ve still no idea what you mean by serial numbers though.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yes - for anything over £100 or so. Although I just take pics.

Makes Insurance claims a lot easier. And also, getting your stuff back if it's found...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I have enough of them at work, especially when any Worcester product has a million digit long number, printed so small you can’t read the fucking things, and normally I’ve got to record 3 of them on about 3 different forms
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:38 pm
I’ve still no idea what you mean by serial numbers though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_number
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I'm assuming you mean on electronics then. Nope, if I ever need any details of items I just refer back to the email confirmation when I bought whatever it was
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:03 pm I'm assuming you mean on electronics then.
I was thinking of "anything" higher value. Cycles, electronics, watches, life-size photo-realistic "TruTouch" sex dolphins etc etc)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:06 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:03 pm I'm assuming you mean on electronics then.
I was thinking of "anything" higher value. Cycles, electronics, watches, life-size photo-realistic "TruTouch" sex dolphins etc etc)
for what? If they're stolen? Personally, I wouldn't want my sex dolphin back if it was stolen...
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:13 pm for what? If they're stolen? Personally, I wouldn't want my sex dolphin back if it was stolen...
I would like to direct you towards option 1 sir.
GG.

Post by GG. »

I hadn't actually given too much thought to this - I'm not sure insurers would actually ask for the serial numbers as a requirement to pay out. They did require the IMEI for my phone which got nicked (was on the back of the box) and the VIN for your car (on the invoice and dealer/manufacturer will have a record) but outside that I'm not sure they care so much.

Does have me thinking I should note down the S/N of my watch - though again I expect that is on the warranty card in the box.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

No. Because that would be weird behaviour mik.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Never. Not because I don’t see the point, I just can’t be bothered and don’t have a house full of the latest and greatest electronics anyway.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not so much record but on some items you need to submit the serial for warranty purposes which is the only time I bother. I think it’s just Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ecoflow and DJI that I can remember.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

GG. wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm I hadn't actually given too much thought to this - I'm not sure insurers would actually ask for the serial numbers as a requirement to pay out. They did require the IMEI for my phone which got nicked (was on the back of the box) and the VIN for your car (on the invoice and dealer/manufacturer will have a record) but outside that I'm not sure they care so much.
It made things a lot easier for us the second time around. I didn’t have to dick around looking for receipts for items stolen, I just sent them the pictures of the serial numbers. Direct line made me prove I actually owned just about everything I claimed for.

And even if your stolen goods are recovered, if you can’t prove that particular item is yours, you won’t get it back. Laptops and IPads yes as you will have the passwords but cameras and lenses, no
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
GG.

Post by GG. »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:49 pm
GG. wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:23 pm I hadn't actually given too much thought to this - I'm not sure insurers would actually ask for the serial numbers as a requirement to pay out. They did require the IMEI for my phone which got nicked (was on the back of the box) and the VIN for your car (on the invoice and dealer/manufacturer will have a record) but outside that I'm not sure they care so much.
It made things a lot easier for us the second time around. I didn’t have to dick around looking for receipts for items stolen, I just sent them the pictures of the serial numbers. Direct line made me prove I actually owned just about everything I claimed for.

And even if your stolen goods are recovered, if you can’t prove that particular item is yours, you won’t get it back. Laptops and IPads yes as you will have the passwords but cameras and lenses, no
Given 94% of burglaries in the UK go unsolved I don't think you need to worry much about getting your stuff back!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

True - although one of mine was.

The gang (from Liverpool) would hit quiet villages, hit 8 or 10 houses and be gone before the first one was reported. They would take pillow cases and use them for the loot. About 2 months after our break in a house was raided and plod found loads of pillow cases full of stolen gear.

Our stuff had all been replaced by that point. I never found out if my Sons missing FC Barcelona pillow case was in there