The Movie Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Rich B »

Tenet was ruined because of shit sound where you couldn't hear dialogue. I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet but it sounds like nothing has been learnt since then...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It's not as bad as Tenet and there's an argument to say the dialog you miss isn't critical but still, it seems unnecessary.

In addition to this though, the IMAX was incredibly loud but the tension this created ahead of the test and inevitable blast was pretty cool
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Possessor on All 4, pleased to see Brandon Cronenburg is following in his father's weird footsteps. 9/10 dead butterflies as it does have some pacing issues. Any of you seen his follow up, Infinity Pool?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Red Lights

Since my other half's infatuation with Cillian Murphy began, I'm having to slowly work my way through all of his films. This one isn't bad without being remarkable. Good cast - Sigourney Weaver, Robert Di Niro, Toby Jones, Elizabeth Olsen etc al an interesting story line.
Spoiler
I'm totally rubbish at seeing the twists coming in movies and missed this one too completely - made the ending quite satisfying really
A Solid 7 out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mik

Post by mik »

Paul

Yes it's been out for over a decade, but I saw it for the first time on Film4 last night. Amusing.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:08 am Paul

Yes it's been out for over a decade, but I saw it for the first time on Film4 last night. Amusing.
bloody illegal aliens, get him on a barge/plane to Rwanda...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Puss In Boots - The Last Wish
Yeah, a bit behind the curve on this one, but this is way, way better than it has any right to be, a full decade after the last one, and after it's parent franchise has died.

Basically everything about this is good at worst, and genuinely above and beyond at it's best. It's nicely directed, looks good, the voice acting is on point, the story is 'fun' but has a solid underpinning about taking yourself more seriously - but probably not in the way you expect - with some surprising moments of quite mature pathos.

....Again, in a PG film ostensibly aimed at kids.

If you haven't seen it and see it on yer netflix/amazon prime - just stick it on. I can practically guarantee you won't regret it.

It's not The Shining or Schindlers list obviously, but I'd recommend it without reservation to anyone. It's not just good for a kids film, it's just a good film, period.

A solid seven out of ten. Although I'd suggest not checking out reviews for it beforehand as there's a bit of a twist to be spoiled near the end that I quite enjoyed, having gone in blind.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

To be fair, there's been more good movies aimed at kids than there have adult ones over the last few years. Between the endless Ryan Reynolds/Rock Netflix crap and the bottom of the comic book pile Marvel shit polluting the cinemas, there not been many actually decent big films.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

The Meg 2 - One of the worst films I've seen and I sat through Boxing Helena.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:14 pm The Meg 2 - One of the worst films I've seen and I sat through Boxing Helena.
I've not decided if it's bad/good or or just bad/bad.

Although Statham swimming around at 25,000ft because he can empty the air from his sinuses was pushing it a bit.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I can confirm that Resident evil: Raccoon City on Netflix is as awful (and not in a good way) as you can imagine it to be
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:08 am It's not as bad as Tenet and there's an argument to say the dialog you miss isn't critical but still, it seems unnecessary.

In addition to this though, the IMAX was incredibly loud but the tension this created ahead of the test and inevitable blast was pretty cool
I saw people complaining about the dialogue thing but never struggled at all in Oppenheimer.

Watched Barbie last night and it was very entertaining and very funny from start to finish, highly recommended.

Also watched Squaring The Circle about Hipgnosis who were legendary designers of album covers in the 60s and 70s - notably Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Well worth watching if you have even a passing interest in that subject.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Dodgeball

Haven't watched it in at least a decade, possibly longer. With a few exceptions it hasn't aged badly, and is still fun.

Exactly the relatively mindless entertainment I needed today.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

A bit behind the time, but Everything Everywhere All At Once is as good as everyone says it is, Michelle Yeoh is (as always) charismatic as all fuck, it's delightfully goofy, emotionally interesting (but not to the degree of being cloying), has lots of fun action and just plain weirdness in it.

If you've not seen it, do it, it's great fun.

Seven bagels out of ten
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

The Equaliser 3
Two hip flask film, fucking great. An exercise in vengeance/revenge. Denzel is Black Jack Reacher, what ever the baddies do, he will fuck you up worse.

And how to do a trilogy, 1 2 3 and done.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Talk to Me
Aussie horror movie about some kids who find a way to talk to dead people. Brilliant stuff, one of the best of the genre I've seen in a long time, well worth watching.

After that, I started watching Fast X last night. WTF :shock: Despite being tempted to watch the series a while back, I never got round to it so I've come into this one cold and despite the terrible dialogue, shoddy special effects & CGI, I can't help but keep watching... But honestly, WTF?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Black Adam

:lol:

I’ll leave it at that…
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

No One Will Save You, (on Disney) as recommended by Stephen King and Guillermo Del Toro on Twitter. Great fun, with a really rather excellent performance from Kaitlyn Dever 😎
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Not great but in the other hand, not too bad either. Some of the fx are a little ropey but interesting enough premise and nice little twist.

6/10
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:08 am 65

Not great but in the other hand, not too bad either. Some of the fx are a little ropey but interesting enough premise and nice little twist.

6/10
it was a generic bore with randomly huge and obvious plot holes (in the paper thin plot). The only interesting thing about it was the "twist" that they gave away in the marketing anyway.

Adam Driver was quite watchable though, he deserves a better storyline.