Suspected dead things in wallspace :(

Foz

Suspected dead things in wallspace :(

Post by Foz »

So over the past week a strange smell appeared in the kitchen..

From starting out like milk that had gone off- Que blaming the 4 yr old, to a strange vomit type smell after a couple of days, to now an OMFG that's utterly disgusting WTF- smells like the worst cat shit you have ever smelt/bacterial badness..

The wall has been identified, naturally behind the hob and kitchen units, with glass splash backs and wall hung units, the worst area being above the wall units, and the extractor vent has been checked and is all ok.

I have pulled the lower panels and checked out the fireplace- the kitchen was previously 2 rooms and this end meant covering over an old fireplace but the smells not coming from there.

I cant remember the smell of decomposing animals but I imagine it must be pretty close to this, short of physically removing the units and splashbacks and knocking holes ouf of the existing walls- its an old house- circa 120 yrs, so the walls are solid granite with a lath and plaster wall with a void to let the house breath, i don't see that i have any other options but to ride it out and hope whatever is back there dries out soon enough!

I also went under the floor last night and no evidence of any rodent activity and also zero presence of the smell.

Any other ideas, other than kill everything with fire obviously!

This has been going on for about 7 days or so with the last 3/4 days at the WTF stage :(
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Suspected dead things in wallspace :(

Post by Rich B »

I had a dead rat under my floorboards, it smelt awful. I eventually found it thankfully. I think it’s a long time before the smell goes on it’s own, so I’d be trying to pinpoint the location and knocking holes!

Here’s the little fucker...

I dowsed the void with chemicals after and the smell completely went with little ratty thankfully...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Not got any good ideas except for air fresheners. Just be prepared for the flies. We had a rodent expire under the house and after a week of horrendous smells we then had the house covered in flies and it was disgusting on a whole new level.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Foz

Post by Foz »

:(

how long before you gave in and started pulling up floorboards?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

You had ONE SHOT at the thread title of 'There's (Possibly) A Rat In My Kitchen, What Am I Gonna Do' and you turned it down?

Da fuq man.
Foz

Post by Foz »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 pm You had ONE SHOT at the thread title of 'There's (Possibly) A Rat In My Kitchen, What Am I Gonna Do' and you turned it down?

Da fuq man.
I was humming that to myself last night crawling about under the floor :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That makes it worse!!! 😂
Foz

Post by Foz »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:48 pm Not got any good ideas except for air fresheners. Just be prepared for the flies. We had a rodent expire under the house and after a week of horrendous smells we then had the house covered in flies and it was disgusting on a whole new level.
:|
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Foz wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:52 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:48 pm Not got any good ideas except for air fresheners. Just be prepared for the flies. We had a rodent expire under the house and after a week of horrendous smells we then had the house covered in flies and it was disgusting on a whole new level.
:|
Soz, Foz.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
GG.

Post by GG. »

We currently have mice - makes me realise I need to trap the little fuckers sharpish before I end up in this situation. I've bought a rolling log trap from Amazon. Just need to find time to set the thing up at the weekend.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm We currently have mice - makes me realise I need to trap the little fuckers sharpish before I end up in this situation. I've bought a rolling log trap from Amazon. Just need to find time to set the thing up at the weekend.
Don’t bother with cheese, chocolate worked on first try.
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

Peanut butter supposed to work well for the purposes of this rolling log trap - you smear on the spinning log and once they've crawled out onto the log to get the bait it swings round and they drop into the bucket below... well, that's the idea.

The bucket is supposed to be half full of water to drown them but not sure I won't just catch and release in the woods behind our house (well away from our house obviously) - the drowning bit seems a tad unnecessary.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

We've had mice a few times. PITA

Bought some savage mouse traps from ebay and gave them all a dollop of peanut butter and the mice were exterminated in short order. Those little friggers go crazy for peanut butter!

Make sure you kill the destructive little fuckers! They breed like crazy.

ETA - It was these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/OuYi-Mouse-Tra ... mouse+trap
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I think I lasted 4-5 days before I started ripping stuff up - the whole house was smelling though. Get someone with a good sense of smell to go quickly into the room from outside and try and pinpoint it - once you’ve been in there for a bit you start getting used to it and lose the sense to locate it.

My Mrs managed to locate ours within a few feet whereas I wasn’t even sure which side of the room it was. Hopefully you’ll find him quick with minimal damage!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Can't you just borrow a dog for an hour? They can root out gross shit at a thousand paces.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I dumped them at the end of our garden (200ft long) and threw chocolate in the garden of the bint who shouted at my son for trying to help her with her bags.. 👍

I’ve heard good things about peanut butter aswell... we’ve since bought a couple of dogs that easily (well, one does) keep the vermin under control. Hunter, our working cocker, has killed two squirrels, a rat 😳 and a rabbit in the last year. He looks SO happy doing it aswell... love him to bits! 😄
Cheers,

Ian
GG.

Post by GG. »

McSwede wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 pm ETA - It was these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/OuYi-Mouse-Tra ... mouse+trap
They do look savage! Not sure how they'd get on around our 2 year old... :?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 pm
McSwede wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 pm ETA - It was these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/OuYi-Mouse-Tra ... mouse+trap
They do look savage! Not sure how they'd get on around our 2 year old... :?
Make sure the little one doesn't like peanut butter :lol: :lol:
Foz

Post by Foz »

Further investigation this evening, pulled out all the Downlights where it seems the smell is even more intense, however with the available access no dead stuff located. (A number of joist voids with no access)

Tomorrow will be spent pulling up the carpet and floorboards in the room above, as the smell has actually appeared in that room later on this evening so I think that’s where it’s coming from!
scotta

Post by scotta »

An endoscope thing for your phone might help locate the bastard. £20 from Amazon.