Carbon Fibre Wheels

Would you?

1. Not for me.
67%
2. If buying new, I'd almost certainly spec another wheel option
25%
3. I wouldn't go out of my way to spec them, but I also wouldn't change them if they were oem on the model
8%
4. CF wheels are awesume
No votes

Total votes: 12

mik

Carbon Fibre Wheels

Post by mik »

Prompted by the A110R discussion.

No arguing that CF is an awesome product, and can provide some interesting designs/visuals when used on wheels, but I always have a nagging doubt that using a material that tends to crack/shatter when stressed to the point of failure isn't the best idea for wheels - which can endure a pretty hard life.

scotta

Re: Carbon Fibre Wheels

Post by scotta »

Gordon Murray refused to use CF for the wheels on the new T50 for that exact reason. A sniff of a kerb could render the wheel unsafe. You know how anal GM is about lightweight.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Cast aluminium is a bit prone to fracture rather than bend on impact - that's one of the reasons forged wheels are so much more desirable.

Anyway, those French got there decades ago with carbon composite wheels: the Citroen SM roues resin - https://www.hemmings.com/stories/articl ... -the-wheel
They seem to have lasted OK I think.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Carbon Fibre was once again ruled out for F1 wheels during the recent size changes to 18" as they would fail catastrophically if damaged and they stuck to magnesium. In fact carbon wheels are not allowed in any FIA regulated motorsports. But anyone with the money can buy a road car with carbon wheels now, smack it into curbs and potholes. Yep, not for me.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

There’s loads of reports of corvette carbon wheels suffering damage from having tyres swapped, including by Chevy dealers with recommended machinery. How much is actual damage and how much is YouTube omg Chevy put a 1mm scratch on my wheels I don’t know but I could be another downside is finding someone to work with them and not break them
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Good point, also imagine the common scenario in which a grease monkey over tightens the crap out of the wheel bolts. Wonder if it will stress fracture.
How about not having a sig at all?
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:42 pm Carbon Fibre was once again ruled out for F1 wheels during the recent size changes to 18" as they would fail catastrophically if damaged and they stuck to magnesium. In fact carbon wheels are not allowed in any FIA regulated motorsports. But anyone with the money can buy a road car with carbon wheels now, smack it into curbs and potholes. Yep, not for me.
Atleast they don't catch fire like Mag wheels used to.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I'd go for high quality steelies over any other material.
A set of tefals would suit our roads well.
Peterlplp

Post by Peterlplp »

CF is like an LV monogram bag now, I always assume it's fake.