It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

dinny_g

Re: It’s time for another forum cycle/vehicle disagreement

Post by dinny_g »

I, for one, did NOT know speed limits do not apply to cyclists.

This seems poor to be honest because getting hit by a peloton of bikes travelling at 40 miles per hour is serious going to screw up your day...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:45 am I, for one, did NOT know speed limits do not apply to cyclists.
Snap. And it seems rather stoopid....
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We all have an instinctive sense of closing distances for cars motorbikes and "whether it's safe to cross" in 30 zones but I can't say the same is true for push bikes
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I'm not sure if speed limits specifically apply or not, but there are sections of the Act under which cyclists can be prosecuted for an offence, such as careless/inconsiderate cycling or dangerous cycling, so I guess there could be provision under those sections to prosecute if a cyclist exceeding the limit is considered to be riding carelessly or dangerously.

And so it seems perfectly appropriate imo to give some words of advice to a group of cyclists travelling at 40mph in a 30mph limit.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:45 am I, for one, did NOT know speed limits do not apply to cyclists.

but the police should!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:52 am

but the police should!
Which presumably they did, as all they've stated is that they stopped them to give them some words of advice. I'm not sure I see what they've done wrong here.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:57 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:52 am

but the police should!
Which presumably they did, as all they've stated is that they stopped them to give them some words of advice. I'm not sure I see what they've done wrong here.
They stopped them for doing nothing wrong. Must have been an interesting conversation!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

They were stopped and advised about the offence which they weren’t committing. Doubtless the police would have referred to their dangerous cycling if that had been an issue but they don’t mention it.

Cyclists rarely get up to 30mph anyway. Speed limits apply to mechanically propelled vehicles (legal e-bikes are considered not to be mechanically propelled because they’re only assisted and assistance cuts out at 15.5mph, so the people all over the web referring to them are confused).

I’ve done 40mph+ downhill on road on both my eMTB and normal bikes; it’s not a massive issue. Disk brakes mean stopping isn’t a problem.

Whatever your view of the merits of being stopped when you’re doing nothing wrong, posting a moralising tweet about it is utterly inappropriate.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:08 am I’ve done 40mph+ downhill on road on both my eMTB and normal bikes; it’s not a massive issue. Disk brakes mean stopping isn’t a problem.
It is if someone steps out in front of you

Travelling on any device through a 30 mph zone at 40mph is wrong, no matter how it's propelled - In my opinion of course. :)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:21 am
Jobbo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:08 am I’ve done 40mph+ downhill on road on both my eMTB and normal bikes; it’s not a massive issue. Disk brakes mean stopping isn’t a problem.
It is if someone steps out in front of you

Travelling on any device through a 30 mph zone at 40mph is wrong, no matter how it's propelled - In my opinion of course. :)
travelling at 10 mph is a problem if someone steps out in front of you and you hit them. That's a daft argument.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I never understand how speed on one mode of transport is ok when on another it isnt. Surely it's the speed limit whatever you are on.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:03 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:52 am but the police should!
They stopped them for doing nothing wrong. Must have been an interesting conversation!
See above about riding carelessly/incosiderately or dangerously. 40mph through a 30mph limit around unsighted bends could have been judged to be pushing the limits of what's acceptable. Perfectly reasonable imo.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There’s not even a footpath on the side of the road which the cyclists are travelling down…
This is all turning a bit into the Middle Eastern style morality Police for me. Next they’ll be telling women to cover up to avoid being sexually assaulted by other officers…
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:26 am I never understand how speed on one mode of transport is ok when on another it isnt. Surely it's the speed limit whatever you are on.
there's no legal requirement for a speedo on a bike, so how would you enforce that people should know what speed they're doing?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:28 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:03 am

See above about riding carelessly/incosiderately or dangerously. 40mph through a 30mph limit around unsighted bends could have been judged to be pushing the limits of what's acceptable. Perfectly reasonable imo.
sounds like more "making up bullshit issues" to justify over stretching authority.

they're either breaking the law or they're not.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:31 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:26 am I never understand how speed on one mode of transport is ok when on another it isnt. Surely it's the speed limit whatever you are on.
there's no legal requirement for a speedo on a bike, so how would you enforce that people should know what speed they're doing?
Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's sensible or right. Travelling at the appropriate speed isn't something cyclists seem to understand.

There isnt a speed limit for horses but you don't seem them galloping through town at 50 mph.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Foxes can run at 45mph, they should be stopped too.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Now who's making daft arguments...
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:51 am Now who's making daft arguments...
Broccers.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

There are laws that apply only to cyclists for this kind of situation.