Part time working hours

davecG60

Part time working hours

Post by davecG60 »

Eldest son works for a local supermarket. They're working 5 1/4 hours until midnight on Sunday, can they be told tonight they are back in work the following day ( Monday) at 9am until 3pm ? I'm not sure on the legality of it as it's P/T hours.
Cockwobble
integrale_evo

Re: Part time working hours

Post by integrale_evo »

From my understanding there aren’t really any rules.

You’re supposed to get 11 hours rest between shifts, but then says it might not be possible if you’re switching shifts, which kind of makes saying you’re supposed to have 11 hours a bit useless.

https://www.acas.org.uk/rest-breaks#:~: ... eir%20rest.
Cheers, Harry
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

It does sound a mixed up set of rules with various get out clauses for employers.

He used to work Mon, Thurs, and Friday 5.15pm till midnight. Its only a summer job while he's home from uni so it fitted in fine ( even though we have to taxi him the 20mins each way evey day!) .
On a Thursday he was asked if he would work nights the following week and to have an answer by the following day. He went in that Friday and explained he didn't want to do nights so they then changed his shifts to 6.45 to midnight Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
2 weeks ago we taxi he him up to the shop on Sunday and they tell him they've booked him off on holiday without his knowledge :roll:
Last week they tell him they didn't want him in this Friday but wanted him in bank holiday Monday, only to then change his working hours last night to 9am - 3pm. So tomorrow he's works 6.45 - midnight and then back in stacking shelves 9hours later.....

Considering its a huge national supermarket it really is run by a bunch of #uckwits :roll:
Cockwobble
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Pretty standard for service industry tbh, they’ll take the piss all day because staff are totally expendable.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:24 am Pretty standard for service industry tbh, they’ll take the piss all day because staff are totally expendable.
Basically this - what's 16-20 year old gonna do, take them to court?

Tell him to make sure he takes all his toilet breaks in company time, not break time, too. Fuck 'em.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Meh, Welcome to the world - no point thinking it's going to be 9 to 5. Work the hours, earn the extra cash, spunk it all by the end of the first week back at uni.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

No point in working more than you want/need to for a shit job though.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:38 am No point in working more than you want/need to for a shit job though.
He can say no then, but it might involve him then having to put more effort into going out and finding a better job.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It sounds harsh, but I think the experience of crap jobs/companies is part of education. You find out what you don't want to do and get motivated to not end up doing them.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:51 pm It sounds harsh, but I think the experience of crap jobs/companies is part of education. You find out what you don't want to do and get motivated to not end up doing them.
I had a series of quite tough and also mind-numbing jobs from 16-18, when I looked at the middle-ages blokes around me that had been doing the same thing for 8hrs a day for decades it was a proper kick up the arse.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:51 pm It sounds harsh, but I think the experience of crap jobs/companies is part of education. You find out what you don't want to do and get motivated to not end up doing them.
Everyone should have to work in the service industry for a year. It’s fuckin’ miserable but you get a sharp lesson in how not to get fucked over.

Also people who’ve never worked retail are usually the worst customers :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Just tell him to grab whatever hours he can, no point worrying about working regs etc at this age.

Dave!
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Ta for the replies & advice. Despite our moaning about his treatment ( and his lack of sleep) he ventured off to work. When he arrived he was told by the manager that there was no work for him and he shouldn't even be in ! Luckily he's only got a couple of shifts to go before he finishes on Friday - just hope they get his wage correct this week!
Cockwobble