Elite Dangerous

duncs500

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by duncs500 »

Thanks! I'll get stuck into those links. TBH I'm having fun with it at the moment anyway, it's quite funny how you can be roving across a baron landscape and come across stuff like some cannisters guarded by those drone things. Poach a few and leg it!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

So it's was a weekend of chaos and setbacks. Friends came over for a BBQ and chatting it turned out one was a fan of original Elite on the C64 (as was I) so being hospitable I let him have a run around on E:D.

Unfortunately I was in my Anaconda parked out in the Orion nebula, nevertheless he had fun flying through asteroid fields (Orion Tourist Centre is in a pretty spot) and blowing up a few pirates.

Then of course he tried docking, Anaconda being a huge bastard that scrapes the sides half the time anyway this did not go well. Stuck in the toaster rack I was unable to back it out in time and the station defenses made short work of the Most Harmless, Mostly.

That meant not only did I cop the rebuy but was dumped 1000LY away in the clink.

Frustrated, decided to try some thargoid scout combat. This was not a wise decision. The caustic damage means you're often paying out more in repairs than you earn.

Wondering what else to try apart from to earn credits.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm
Then of course he tried docking, Anaconda being a huge bastard that scrapes the sides half the time anyway this did not go well. Stuck in the toaster rack I was unable to back it out in time and the station defenses made short work of the Most Harmless, Mostly.
Ouch. What's your rebuy?

I'm going alright with my FSD upgrades, although my jump range hasn't gone up because I've added some fairly beefy hard points seeing as I'm going a bit of combat at the moment. Still, it's mid-30s with a bit of junk in the hold too.

Do you know if you can get 4A beam lasers gimballed or turret? I used EDDB but the stations it sent me only had fixed.

Hired a rookie crew member, they only take 2% so thought I might as well see if they get pasted for fun.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 pm
RobYob wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm
Ouch. What's your rebuy?

I'm going alright with my FSD upgrades, although my jump range hasn't gone up because I've added some fairly beefy hard points seeing as I'm going a bit of combat at the moment. Still, it's mid-30s with a bit of junk in the hold too.

Do you know if you can get 4A beam lasers gimballed or turret? I used EDDB but the stations it sent me only had fixed.

Hired a rookie crew member, they only take 2% so thought I might as well see if they get pasted for fun.
9Million, running the cheaper internals has some up sides :lol: though the 15% original purchase discount really is the gift that keeps giving, I save 15% on every rebuy too. Current build is sitting at 51LY unladen 8-) Coriolis link

HUGE class 4 hardpoints are fixed only, I imagine gimballed could be considered OP or maybe it'd just be a bit silly looking.
Nothing stopping you putting a class 3 turret or gimbal on a class 4 hardpoint though. lots of people swear by Huge efficient beam with thermal vent, cools youre ship as it damages the enemy, very handy.

that 2% will increase as they increase in rank, pilots who you rank up yourself are always cheaper than hiring experienced ones though.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Oof, that looks class. I don't know about some of the gear you've got on there. What is that FSD booster?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I am getting used to flying that beast, it would be crazy to go back into a proper maneuverable ship now, as it feels normal turning in that.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 pm Oof, that looks class. I don't know about some of the gear you've got on there. What is that FSD booster?
Guardian FSD booster adds a flat increase in jump range. A grade 5 (the largest) adds 10.5LY in range.

One of the most useful Guardian tech upgrades. If you like atmospheric locations I highly recommend checking out Guardian space.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Put in some hard yards this weekend and got the Guardian FSD booster. Took a while to figure it, but my jump range is now at a very satisfactory level. 8-)

I did hire a low rate crew member in the end too, for the level of combat I dabble in she's fine, so far I mostly send her off in the fighter and let her the bring down the shield with her beam lasers before I give it everything with my multicannons.

At some point In still going to have to decide what I actually want to do, but at the moment engineering is my main focus. I read that the majority of the Guardian upgrades are no better than engineering so I'll probably not bother with the rest of them for now unless you reckon otherwise?
tim

Post by tim »

I've not played any ED for a couple of weeks because holiday, but I'm home for a couple of days before I clear off again, so I thought I'd look into the Mobius group and move out of Solo play.

Seems their website is down. At least for me anyway.

https://elitepve.com/
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mobius site is up for me atm. I spent the weekend's bounty hunting CG in Mobius EU. Lower stress not having to watch your back and the nearby HazRez was less crowded than in Open too.

On the other hand winged up and not having to watch your back meant carving through pirates at a ridiculous rate. One wing I was in was me in my Conda, a Krait and two Corvettes. An Elite NPC Anaconda lasted all of fifteen seconds...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

New SLFs previewed for Chapter 3 which drops next week.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

How to do sourcing wing missions for profit and well, more profit.

If anyone's around to wing with it'd be a nice change from Robigo bussing.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Decided to earn some cash before all the new stuff drops next week.
Focus'd my Python build into close to I think the optimum Robigo Bus
No shields, maximum passenger cabins, goes from Robigo to Sothis in two jumps.

I could improve it slightly by engineering that tiny power plant for Engine Focus which would give me back the boost functionality.

Flying it determinedly but carefully (I bumped another ship at one point and lost 17% of my hull) I made 104million credits in 59minutes.
I did have a determined NPC bounty hunter follow me all the way back from Sothis to Robigo mines at one point which was nerve wracking but he didn't open fire when I was close to the station, he did scare a couple of my criminal passengers into ejecting though which was irritating and ridiculous.

Now to wait for whatever broken gold rush drops in next week's update.

Or hitch a ride on the research megaship Gnosis to parts unknown...
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Yep, I had to do a Robigo boost the other day too. I have basically brought my Conda and AspX to Ceos and now I will just leave my Asp there so that I can drop back and do some wherever needed.

When I was doing the run I noticed that it's not too bad for getting the firmware type stuff for the engineering upgrades as well.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

On sale link along was the base game and Horizons add on.

My quest to get my Python engine boost working on 2A distributor lead me near to the system currently under Thargoid attack. So I shipped in my combat kitted Krait and had fun blowing up aliens in something that didn't handle like a truck or a bus.

Also got chased and blown up by the Save the Thargoids group patrolling the system, that was a bit too much PVP for me then so flipped into Mobius to resume alien shootering in peace...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

On board the Gnosis for the megajump into the Permit locked Cone Sector in 32 hours.

Expecting lots of Thargoids.

Anything could happen.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Well the Gnosis jump was a festering suckhole of incompetence that left the majority of people feeling thoroughly deceived. If it was a road trip I'd describe as having crashed into the hedge opposite your own driveway, catching fire and thrn being attacked by a swarm of bees.

Q4 update looks like thoroughly redoing of exploration so I might head for Sagittarius A then on to Colonia before F:Dev have a chance to screw it up.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I don't understand all of what you wrote, but what are they doing to exploration?

I haven't managed to get on in a few weeks.:(
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gnosis trip was a serious disapointment. Haven't played since. Revisiting Frozen Synapse has filled my gaming time.

Extensive exploration gameplay changes link

ADS no longer to reveal all system bodies but supply data for a mini-game thing a bit like the SRV scanner.

Planets can now be mapped using DSS but with what sounds like a Mass Effect like mini game.

Only real positive change is USS' are no longer random.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Well I couldn't stay away.

Headed for Colonia via the Neutron highway, six hours later I had a buch of new discovered systems although still no earthlikes.

Neutron charging was daunting at first although got used to it, ran through a lot of field maintenance ammo repairing the fsd in 22kLy of jumps though.

Lava world I discovered