Interesting carbon ceramic brake disk discussion

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Interesting carbon ceramic brake disk discussion

Post by Jobbo »

Much as I dislike linking to Pistonheads on here, I think this is something worth looking at: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 043120&i=0.

Chap bought a Ferrari FF via an online auction and has found a common issue with the Brembo CCM disks fitted to it - starting from his post from Monday this week which starts with photos of the FF up on jack stands. They are retained by unusual bolts which have a habit of corroding and breaking. It seems this is usually apparent because the disks themselves get cracked but he has removed the bolts from one and found it virtually impossible to get replacements.

Of course, it's not just a Ferrari thing. It seems at least Audi, BMW, Ferrari and Porsche have all used Brembo CCMs and I imagine that's not the complete list. So if you're buying a used car with them, I'd say there's a very high chance that the bolts will be an issue.

I'm keeping an eye on that thread to see if a sensible solution can be found. It does not look too complicated to manufacture direct replacement bolts either in the original material or an alternative, so this may be resolved relatively easily in time. But for the moment, you're buying a set of bolts for $780 per corner plus delivery from one supplier in the US, or a whole new disk each corner if you need to fix this.