Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Courtesy Car Lottery

Post by Jobbo »

Blimey, it has an electric bootlid.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:16 am Bumping this for @nuttinnew but also because I have a discourtesy car today; my Allroad is being serviced. It's a brand new Audi Q2 30TSI manual S-line.

Conceptually similar to our Yeti I guess, though the platform sharer would have been the previous-generation Q3. This feels smaller, lighter, a bit flimsy and hollow but nippy. Quite fun, and despite being darty it has great directional stability and rides well. A very polished car to drive, though I'd be disappointed with the amount of different plastics and the generally hollow feel, coming from an A6 or even compared to the Yeti - lightness is good but comes at a perceived quality cost.

It's well equipped but being a car launched in 2016 there are some things which are now incongruous:
- Normal key with no push-button start.
- Manual gearbox with a clutch (how very old-fashioned)
- Incongruous electronic handbrake and full digital dash which can be all nav map
- rotary MMI controller rather than touch-screen
It's more the incongruity of all the modern shit alongside the turn key and manual gearbox that gives it a weird vibe. A DSG version would feel much more appropriate.

Other things I'd mention:
- Engine is a 110bhp 1.0 turbo. It sounds fine, very quiet, but compared to the 1.2TSI with 110bhp in the Yeti it feels less strong. It won't fool you into thinking there's a much bigger powerplant than there is.
- The digital dash is fitted angled away from you at the bottom. I'm sure it's to reduce reflections but it makes it much harder to read the map even when it fills the whole screen. I reverted to digital dials; the map is still visible on the centre screen.
- The standard VW/Audi mirror controller is cheaper-feeling than my A6; it feels like moving it presses a microswitch on a 1980s joystick, not the nice satisfying feel I've always encountered before (even in things like my ex-wife's Beetle, 20 years ago).

If you don't mind that I'd probably recommend it - except it's just over £30k new on the road and over £33k if you get the DSG version (which comes with the 1.5 engine and 150bhp, so definitely preferable).
An interesting comparison, the MG has a 1.5t with manuel, 162bhp @5500rpm, 184 lb ft @1500-4400rpm, 0-60 9.6s, 118mph, 1539kg.
In some respects I'm not best placed to comment because I lack of experience of competitors to know how it compares, and I have to remind myself it's a cheap car - £26,055 (though I'm sure it said £25,995 t'other day (ah, probably went up April 1st :roll: )).
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm ID3 seems to be one of the main ones that's specifically offered. And we'd only be using it whilst we're at a rental house, which has an EV charger.

I'd obviously have to enquire first as to whether any extra would be due to cover any charging, but otherwise I was half tempted to give it a crack. It's more the driving aspect I'm unsure of - having never driven one I've no idea just how different it would be to drive. Hence on unfamiliar roads could be an issue?
Well, we didn't hire an EV in the end. We opted for the fairly vanilla choice of a V60 at £280 for 8 (I think) days. Nearly upped it to a V90 as rates were so cheap but glad we didn't as the roads near the house we rented were fairly tight.

Was well impressed with the Volvo I have to say - it was a diesel model with 45,000km on the clocks and yet it was like new. I've never driven one before and it genuinely surprised me just how good it was and how much I liked driving it. Had a solidity and heft to the controls and ride that reminded me of the E91 actually. And far superior to any F series BMW I've driven or any offerings from the VW group stable. I think if I was in the market for a family car (i.e. if the wife didn't want to keep her Superb) one of these would definitely be considered.

Simon

Post by Simon »

We keep looking at the XC60 to replace the yeti. Obviously a fair bit bigger but likely necessary at some point as it's a bit tight with the kids and pram etc in there.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Don't know how the XC60 compares to the V60 for size - I assume they're meant to sit in the mid size bracket together. The boot in the V60 isn't huge tbh - probably the same as the E91. Fitted 2 medium suitcases, a carry on size case with just enough space left for a couple of small rucksacks.

ETA - It was nice to see that the estate car still ruled out in Sweden - relatively few SUVs
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:16 am Bumping this for @nuttinnew but also because I have a discourtesy car today; my Allroad is being serviced. It's a brand new Audi Q2 30TSI manual S-line. I may be one of the first people to drive it because switching between menus on the MMI gave me messages about how to zoom the nav map which look like first-time use things.

Conceptually similar to our Yeti I guess, though the platform sharer would have been the previous-generation Q3. This feels smaller, lighter, a bit flimsy and hollow but nippy. Quite fun, and despite being darty it has great directional stability and rides well. A very polished car to drive, though I'd be disappointed with the amount of different plastics and the generally hollow feel, coming from an A6 or even compared to the Yeti - lightness is good but comes at a perceived quality cost.

It's well equipped but being a car launched in 2016 there are some things which are now incongruous:
- Normal key with no push-button start.
- Manual gearbox with a clutch (how very old-fashioned)
- Incongruous electronic handbrake and full digital dash which can be all nav map
- rotary MMI controller rather than touch-screen
It's more the incongruity of all the modern shit alongside the turn key and manual gearbox that gives it a weird vibe. A DSG version would feel much more appropriate.

Other things I'd mention:
- Engine is a 110bhp 1.0 turbo. It sounds fine, very quiet, but compared to the 1.2TSI with 110bhp in the Yeti it feels less strong. It won't fool you into thinking there's a much bigger powerplant than there is.
- The digital dash is fitted angled away from you at the bottom. I'm sure it's to reduce reflections but it makes it much harder to read the map even when it fills the whole screen. I reverted to digital dials; the map is still visible on the centre screen.
- The standard VW/Audi mirror controller is cheaper-feeling than my A6; it feels like moving it presses a microswitch on a 1980s joystick, not the nice satisfying feel I've always encountered before (even in things like my ex-wife's Beetle, 20 years ago).

If you don't mind that I'd probably recommend it - except it's just over £30k new on the road and over £33k if you get the DSG version (which comes with the 1.5 engine and 150bhp, so definitely preferable).
My A3 has the same engine, I went to Hitchin and back in it last week, 400 mile round trip, 60.1 MPG.

It's no ball of fire but it's superb on petrol.

Materials feel cheap interior wise for how much the car is worth I think, and the steering feel is awful, but it's a great shopping car.

I'll miss it a bit when it goes back next week.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

16vCento wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:48 pm Materials feel cheap interior wise for how much the car is worth
My mate said similar things. His A250e of due back with Merc, and he wants to go electric. Despite not liking the looks very much or wanting an SUV he's ended up with an EQA. He was very disappointed with the Audi e-tron interior feel and quality. It is about the same cost as the Merc, but felt very inferior by comparison. Same for other VW group products.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:19 pm Well, we didn't hire an EV in the end. We opted for the fairly vanilla choice of a V60 at £280 for 8 (I think) days. Nearly upped it to a V90 as rates were so cheap but glad we didn't as the roads near the house we rented were fairly tight.

Was well impressed with the Volvo I have to say - it was a diesel model with 45,000km on the clocks and yet it was like new. I've never driven one before and it genuinely surprised me just how good it was and how much I liked driving it. Had a solidity and heft to the controls and ride that reminded me of the E91 actually. And far superior to any F series BMW I've driven or any offerings from the VW group stable. I think if I was in the market for a family car (i.e. if the wife didn't want to keep her Superb) one of these would definitely be considered.

@Swervin_Mervin Might be a good time to buy one Mike - seems Volvo are binning everything but SUVs :(
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... -cars-axed
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:48 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:19 pm Well, we didn't hire an EV in the end. We opted for the fairly vanilla choice of a V60 at £280 for 8 (I think) days. Nearly upped it to a V90 as rates were so cheap but glad we didn't as the roads near the house we rented were fairly tight.

@Swervin_Mervin Might be a good time to buy one Mike - seems Volvo are binning everything but SUVs :(
What an utterly bizarre strategy. All of their SUV lineup these days have weedy engines as well.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:48 pm

That is a very bizarre strategy! But perhaps not surprising given that people in the UK seem obsessed by SUVs. As I intimated further up, it seems that in their homeland at least the estate still ruled the roost over the SUVs. Every 2nd driveway had a V60 or V90 parked on it. It was only when we got into the truly wealthy suburbs (bearing in mind the houses near where we were staying were very well north of £1m) that we noticed more SUVs.

I'd certainly be keeping my eyes peeled in future I think for one of these, especially if the Superb starts to get tired (which it feels like it will).

Or maybe we'll just move to Sweden.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

In Croatia visiting the Plitvice national park. Hired a Citreon C4 or equivalent for the week. Was given a Skoda Superb estate with a 1.6 diesel so a good upgrade for the space available. Engine feels the weight of the car after being used to an electric car with nearly double the horsepower for the last 18 months. It does also feel wide and long than what I'm used to as well, especially driving on narrow roads on the wrong side!

Having to use a fairly dated feeling sat nav after forgetting to take the USB out of my car before leaving and only having USB-C with no adapters to use Android Auto. My own fault really!

Decent car if you need the space but I think most people used to having a decent engine will feel underwhelmed without a 2.0 diesel or a more powerful petrol.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Superb went in for it's new rear bumper on Monday so last Friday I picked up the equivalent car which was.... a Citroën C5 Aircross.

It is utterly hideous in every way, night driving is ruined by the huge bright displays, the steering is stodgy and has some sort of inconsistent lane assist bollocks, the clutch is badly placed giving me cramp in my foot within 300 yards and a few gearchanges.

Happily my car comes back tomorrow so I only drove the courtesy car 30ish miles. That is 30 miles too far though, what an utterly awful white good.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

The EQV is in for a service and the sales team have provided a GLE 400e, it rides very well and has a great interior. Im almost loath to admit that its easy to see why so many go for an suv over a saloon.

But £90k for a 2 litre! :shock:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

375 hp though.

You pay for the power these days in an 'e' - not the engine size...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:10 am 375 hp though.

£90k though, I'd be wanting AMG power for that
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:37 am £90k though, I'd be wanting AMG power for that
:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:37 am

£90k though, I'd be wanting AMG power for that
You’ll get 50 AMG badges instead.
How about not having a sig at all?
John

Post by John »

Today I had the pleasure of a 2013 Ford Ka. As a new car it might have been "OK", this one wasn't.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yeah, but - 4 cylinders. Having said that my wife's Macan is 4-cyl and it's quite a nice engine; I could live with the EA888 engine. Unlike that Volvo V90 I had which was a bit coarse.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It’s the way it’s going though.

You can’t expect to pay 2.0 4 pit prices when you’re getting V6 or V8 performance