EV Thread

mik

Re: EV Thread

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:01 am
New electric caterham. Strange interior layout of 2+1
That was my favourite bit 8-) Potentially useable 3rd seat (for a sort distance at least - if there is sufficient gap between the front seats for some knee room?) providing a significant increase in luggage space when not occupied. :geek:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks lovely though. And nice to see that it doesn't boast a four figure power output and silly battery.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I like the idea of a lightweight EV sports car, but I think it'll suffer in the media by not being able to keep up with SUVs.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Caterham were involved with the Alpine A110, though they parted ways. This looks a bit like an Alpine A110. Did they keep some of the plans?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It looks really nice but I still have this personal problem with EVs where the want factor drops by 95%.
If that had an AMG 4 pot equivalent like the Lotus Emira I’d love it but meh. I realise it’s a me issue and I’m just becoming an old fart :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:05 am I still have this personal problem with EVs where the want factor drops by 95%.
I realise it’s a me issue
I don't think it's just a you issue.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:58 am I like the idea of a lightweight EV sports car, but I think it'll suffer in the media by not being able to keep up with SUVs.
Maybe in America, if it handles like you’d expect a caterham product to handle then hopefully it’ll be treat the same as something like an original Elise- not out and out fast (unless dans had his fingers in it) but handling to die for
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:05 am It looks really nice but I still have this personal problem with EVs where the want factor drops by 95%.
If that had an AMG 4 pot equivalent like the Lotus Emira I’d love it but meh. I realise it’s a me issue and I’m just becoming an old fart :lol:
With your i3 history would you prefer if it had a rex? Something interesting to make it worth not being pure ic, say jet turbine(s)?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:18 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:05 am It looks really nice but I still have this personal problem with EVs where the want factor drops by 95%.
With your i3 history would you prefer if it had a rex? Something interesting to make it worth not being pure ic, say jet turbine(s)?
The i3 worked well because it was designed as a city car and back in those days the charging infrastructure was crap which was alleviated by the ReX (barely better now tbh).
ICE city cars don’t have the most interesting engines so going electric is no loss and if anything the instant torque is a plus along with the comedic turning circle.

I just look at anything vaguely sporty I’ve driven or sat in and ask myself “would this be better if it had an electric motor” irrespective of the range issues I can’t think of any car I would say yes.

The Model 3 is alright in London, but you spend some time in it and it’s just boring - which is perfectly acceptable for a 4 door do everything saloon. You go on a motorway and it’s boring, just more wind noise. You go on a twisty road and it’s still boring. And with the latter it’s not just a weight thing or EPAS thing, there’s just no involvement bar turning the wheel a few degrees and pressing the throttle a bit and backing off to regen - I prefer hustling my Defender down a country road, or anything else as it’s satisfying.

Even my lazy automatic 6 series gives a nice howl when I boot it and I get to modulate the throttle and use the brakes.

I think Lotus got it right making an electric SUV, a lower bar overall to impress with and more potential customers.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I like the Caterham, but I'm a bit worried about who's actually going to buy it for all the reasons above. I'm sure by the time it's released there'll be more and more offerings by the likes of Porsche and Lotus in the £80k segment, they'll probably have better range and performance. It'll have to be absolutely outstanding to drive to attract even the most committed Caterham fans IMO.
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:01 am Caterham were involved with the Alpine A110, though they parted ways. This looks a bit like an Alpine A110. Did they keep some of the plans?
More details released yesterday - which draw even stronger comparison with the A110.

1190kg
single 268bhp electric motor powering the rear wheels
0-62mph sprint in 4.5sec
top speed of 143mph.
55kWh capacity
249 miles range
Holley

Post by Holley »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:37 am I like the Caterham, but I'm a bit worried about who's actually going to buy it for all the reasons above. I'm sure by the time it's released there'll be more and more offerings by the likes of Porsche and Lotus in the £80k segment, they'll probably have better range and performance. It'll have to be absolutely outstanding to drive to attract even the most committed Caterham fans IMO.
I'd be interested and also Alpine's own offering.

Having both an i3 and Model 3 I agree with Mito that the 3 isn't particularly fun (although the i3 is pretty good and enjoyable to hustle along). But with the 3 I think it's more to do with the suspension set-up and steering rather than being electric (a Passet or A4 isn't much fun either).

I've grown quite fond of electric and don't think I'd be too bothered about not having another petrol car (although I wouldn't say no). The effortlessness of power, regen through corners and quietness has it's own rewards.

Other than a Taycan, there isn't really a drivers electric car so will be interesting to see how these develop (although Matt Prior had given the upcoming Hyundai 5 N a very good review https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/hyundai/ioniq-5-n)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:19 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:01 am Caterham were involved with the Alpine A110, though they parted ways. This looks a bit like an Alpine A110. Did they keep some of the plans?
More details released yesterday - which draw even stronger comparison with the A110.

1190kg
single 268bhp electric motor powering the rear wheels
0-62mph sprint in 4.5sec
top speed of 143mph.
55kWh capacity
249 miles range
how much range if driven "spiritedly" though? Could it do a track day? Could it do a thrash around north wales and back?

Not much use as a sports car if it dies after 50 miles of thrashing.
Barry

Post by Barry »

250 claimed range on 55kwh does feel brave yeah, even taking that as read means realistic 200 range before you start looking for a working charger. Add lead foot into that and I think you'd struggle to do a full day at a big track day. And I've yet to see any tracks with rapid charging?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

MG4 Xpower looks hilariously good at TLGP for the money. 435PS / 600NM.

Beany

Post by Beany »

Speaking of normal EVs getting a sports rebrand bump, Hyundai seem to legit be having a bit of a giggle with the Ioniq 5 N

Fake gears (apparently done by disconnecting drive for a bit to similate a DSG box shift), a fake rev counter/sounds (apparently to help on track, so you can be 'in the right gear' for a corner rather than relying just on speedo), adjustable power distribution, drift mode with a simulated clutch kick, and most potty, the ability to know when a twisty bit of road comes up (I guess reading road signs or analysing GPS data)and to pop up and ask if you want to go into sports/fun mode etc.

Honestly, the intent behind it sounds more interesting than what others have been doing in the electric car sphere lately, which is just big numbers and flat footed handling. A Porsche might be a more mature sports car, and a Plaid might be faster, but the Ioniq 5 N sounds like it might be more of a proper fun car.

No driving impressions as yet, though.

Fully Charged:

Jonny Smith:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

That looks great. I’m not sure what the range is going to be like with just an 84kWh battery; the Taycan loses 10%+ range when specced with the bigger alloys, so there’s an intrinsic contradiction between making it sporty and making it real-world useful.

The body mods really work though, and the interior looks pretty much up to the Genesis GV60; this could be a bit of a special car.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Hyundai (and Kia) really seem to be the only people doing realistically interesting things with EVs these days, rather than pie in the sky fully self driving or 1200hp fat bastard spec £150k SUVs.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I think what they’re doing is interesting / cool, but the ionic is Huuge!

I don’t like fake engine sounds in petrol cars, I’m pretty sure I don’t want an electric one pretending it has one to start with 🤔
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

3.1cm shorter but 1.8cm wider than my X5

It’s not going to be a hot hatch on the back roads no matter how many pretend gears they give it :cry:
Cheers, Harry