Your fleet running reports

Beany

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Beany »

Apparently everyone wants to buy my car. Two people at the local curry house, and according to my neighbour, at least one person a month has popped their head over his gate when he's been working on his cars, asking if the 330ci is his, and if it's for sale.

To which he says 'no', and 'no' because he's determined to buy it off me when I come to sell it.

I've also had two people ask me if it's for sale just when I'm filling it up.

Bizarre.

Still, I am quite tempted by an E9x 335i with the wick turned up....
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:50 pm For those of you that haven't seen on insta, phase 1 of project S1 has been completed in outstanding fashion by Mr @dan Webster.

A few minor performance mods to pep the old girl up a bit ;)

Well jel. A Hondalise has always been on my list 😎
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:59 pm Apparently everyone wants to buy my car. Two people at the local curry house, and according to my neighbour, at least one person a month has popped their head over his gate when he's been working on his cars, asking if the 330ci is his, and if it's for sale.

To which he says 'no', and 'no' because he's determined to buy it off me when I come to sell it.

Bizarre.

stick it out for a while - the bottom has been reached on e46s, M3 prices have already gone crazy so it's now trickled down to lower models!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

jamcg wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:50 pm Does Dan want to experiment fitting those engines in a front wheel drive French shopping trolley? I’ll graciously let him try with my car……
His work always brings similar thoughts, albeit in a Jazz... this (Dunc's) engine's spec sounds perfect for not just the Good Road but the boring bits getting there 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:04 pm
Beany wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:59 pm Apparently everyone wants to buy my car. Two people at the local curry house, and according to my neighbour, at least one person a month has popped their head over his gate when he's been working on his cars, asking if the 330ci is his, and if it's for sale.

Bizarre.

stick it out for a while - the bottom has been reached on e46s, M3 prices have already gone crazy so it's now trickled down to lower models!
Yeah, I'm seeing more and more 330ci's being advertised at approaching £10k which to be fair my car ain't worth, but £4-5k seems (genuinely) reasonable.

And what are E9x 335is starting to approach? £5-6k....

Maybe next summer ;)
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

240PP wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:33 pm
duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:50 pm For those of you that haven't seen on insta, phase 1 of project S1 has been completed in outstanding fashion by Mr @dan Webster.

A few minor performance mods to pep the old girl up a bit ;)

Well jel. A Hondalise has always been on my list 😎
Doesn't get much better tbh, other than an f12 with a Novitec.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dan wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:48 am It did slightly better than I expected too, I would have been happy with anything over 240hp given the oem plenum and throttle body, but its not a coincidence that it goes so well, its the result of everything being optimised for the install.

Now every rolling road you go to claims to be accurate and i'm no exception to that rule, but what I have is a lot of empirical data to base that on. The rolling road I use is known universally as either pessimistic or just plain telling lies, but I like to think it gives a pretty true representation. For example, a completely standard EP3 civic will make around 195hp on our rollers, I think from memory they were rated at 197ps.

Standard K20's with a few bolt on mods make anywhere between 200 and 225hp as they're very sensitive to things like exhaust manifold design and intake runner length. Every other company that converts honda elises claims 240hp out of the box and to be honest they're so quick you'd believe that without a moments hesitation so when Duncs finds himself alongside another '250hp' k20 elise he's going to enjoy it immensely.

Its not the headline figure thats most impressive though, the torque curve is the best bit. Its doing 160lb ft by 3000rpm and peaks at 177lb ft, but never drops below 160 all the way to the redline. Thats 88lb ft per litre from a pretty mild spec engine, more than the old M3 lump that held the production car record for donkeys year. The way it delivers it is also super impressive, there's no discernible change in delivery when the VTEC switches over to the higher profile other than a slight change in intake note. There's a number of reasons for this - firstly, the lower profile now has more lift then OEM K20 vtec cams on high lift, but more importantly the phase is shifted on the cam lobes meaning the variable cam timing doesn't have to make a big change in position when the cams switch from the low to the high profile. The variable cam timing gear can only move at a certain maximum speed (about 10 degrees of cam advance per tenth of a second) and with standard vtec cams the engine desires drastically different advance figures on the low to the high cam (mostly for economy and efficiency reasons, also to provide a bit of drama and that kick in the back when the vtec switches) but that's no longer necessary on Duncs' engine so the change is virtually imperceptible.

Theres a million other really cool details....just ask if you want to know anything specific.
@duncs500 @dan I'm really quite envious. How much have you done other than replacing the engine and gearbox?

ETA: just realised I have actually been looking at this on Dan's FaceyB page (ban me, @Matty :lol:) and simply didn't realise whose car it was. I thought it was actually for you, Dan!
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Duncs, I'm disappointed. I thought Phase 2 would be a big old Supercharger.

At the very least, do me a favour and make Ph2 some S160 Victory wheels!
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 am ETA: just realised I have actually been looking at this on Dan's FaceyB page (ban me, @Matty :lol:) and simply didn't realise whose car it was. I thought it was actually for you, Dan!
Totally unrelated but I didn't get a notification for that tag :? Maybe it knew I wouldn't want to see it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Matty wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:44 pm Duncs, I'm disappointed. I thought Phase 2 would be a big old Supercharger.

At the very least, do me a favour and make Ph2 some S160 Victory wheels!
Famous last words, but I'm happy that this is the sweet spot for my needs. :)

I think you'll like some of the Ph2 enhancements, even if they are minor in comparison. ;)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 am
@duncs500 @dan I'm really quite envious. How much have you done other than replacing the engine and gearbox?

ETA: just realised I have actually been looking at this on Dan's FaceyB page (ban me, @Matty :lol:) and simply didn't realise whose car it was. I thought it was actually for you, Dan!
Yep, Dan posted up my suspension work his Insta (so assume the FB page too), although he does post stuff about his car too.

This is my suspension:

Would post up some pics of my shifter mechanism which is lovely (and I'm sure everyone has seen what they look like), but my phone is a potato these days. I reckon the most likely way I'm going to crash this car is getting transfixed by the mechanism while driving.:lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

A potato camera has never stopped beany before, don’t let it stop you either :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

jamcg wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:15 pm A potato camera has never stopped beany before, don’t let it stop you either :lol:
:lol:
mik

Post by mik »

In time @duncs500 (reasonable time - don't wait too long ;) ) we will need a e-start vid, in addition to your lengthy prose on how it now drives with close to double the power, and the suspension work. 8-)
dan

Post by dan »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:05 am In time @duncs500 (reasonable time - don't wait too long ;) ) we will need a e-start vid, in addition to your lengthy prose on how it now drives with close to double the power, and the suspension work. 8-)
More than double the power.
mik

Post by mik »

dan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:20 am
Apologies - I couldn’t remember what original spec Duncs had.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:26 am
dan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:20 am
Apologies - I couldn’t remember what original spec Duncs had.
118bhp I think!

Had you driven a Honda Elise Duncs? Or was driving yours out of Dan's the first time? Must've seemed pokey if so :D
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Duncs, I know your Exige was an S2 but did it have a supercharger? Either way, I'd be very interested in how the S1 Honda feels in comparison. It's got to be about 200kg lighter and the engine is going to be so much more appealing than a standard Toyota unit.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I had the honour of driving my nephew to his prom in the Boxster a couple of weeks ago

He asked me while we were shopping for his prom suit

The area where they live is quite affluent, so there were all sorts of cars that had been brought out for the same task

From classic Mustangs to a very modified R35 GTR

He was so excited to be dropped off in front of his friends in my car though, and he looked amazing in his suit

I was so proud, and driving home I tired to imagine how I'd have felt, being dropped off at a school event by my uncle in his Porsche...
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

@DaveE 8-) Great to be able to do that stuff.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:04 pm @DaveE 8-) Great to be able to do that stuff.
Yeah, I'm finding I'm "sharing" the car an awful lot

Offering lifts, taking people out for a drive etc

It's still kind of mind blowing that I own it, and it's a wonderful to be able to share the experience with friends, family, neighbours etc

Actually, I've just remembered, I took my Dad* to Brands the other weekend to watch the Super Touring event (which was ace btw)

I picked him up, we drove there and back down little country roads with the hood down the whole time

He's been really down of late (mid 80s and I think he's just feeling very mortal), and he's a complete petrol head - we had an amazing time, and he was made up/rejuvenated by the day.

We talked about and looked at cars all day, I'd made a nice picnic, the weather had been OK

Just a lovely day, book-ended by a lovely drive in a Boxster

* technically, he's my Mum's second husband, but we're all so close, and he's such a lovely man, it seems odd to not call him Dad