Twitter

Wibblewobblebeepgaggawacka

1. Its time to leave teh Twitter
No votes
2. I’ll stick it out and see what changes
38%
3. It’s blusterpish as usual. It’s not going to change noticeably.
10%
4. I don’t care, I don’t use Twitter.
21%
5. I don’t care.
26%
6. I just like to wash my hair, and go.
No votes
7. I’ve seen a horse fly
No votes
8. I’ve seen a dragon fly
No votes
9. I’ve seen an elephant fly
No votes
10. My old man’s a dustman
5%

Total votes: 39

jamcg

Re: Twitter

Post by jamcg »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:54 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:59 pm Same as when MySpace started going to shit, then suddenly appeared Facebook which was pretty much the same thing, but less shit and fresh.

Critical moment for Twitter, and Threads has the added advantage that it’s linked to Instagram which makes everything much easier.
myspace and Facebook were different though, if threads is literally the same, what forces people to change? Being part of instagram isn’t a reason to change, it’s a fantastic advertising platform though.
What forces people to change? The bloke running twitter into the ground perhaps?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

For a lot of people who already have plenty of followers it is enough of a reason.

Not having musk at the controls is enough of a reason.

No limits on threads you can post or read might be enough.

It doesn’t really matter. Don’t like it, don’t use it. I’ve had a poke about and made a couple of posts but that’s about it. I’m not going to pretend it’s going to revolutionise my world.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:57 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:59 pm Same as when MySpace started going to shit, then suddenly appeared Facebook which was pretty much the same thing, but less shit and fresh.

Critical moment for Twitter, and Threads has the added advantage that it’s linked to Instagram which makes everything much easier.
myspace and Facebook were different though, if threads is literally the same, what forces people to change? Being part of instagram isn’t a reason to change, it’s a fantastic advertising platform though.
What forces people to change? The bloke running twitter into the ground perhaps?
how does that affect the average user though? (I'm hugely critical of him by the way and got loads of shit on this thread for pointing out all the ways he's fucking it up).
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

The average user will follow the celebs they follow on the platforms. If there’s a mass exodus from twitter to threads of big content posters then the average user will follow
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:59 pm For a lot of people who already have plenty of followers it is enough of a reason.

It doesn’t really matter. Don’t like it, don’t use it. I’ve had a poke about and made a couple of posts but that’s about it. I’m not going to pretend it’s going to revolutionise my world.
I didn't think you used Twitter Harry?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

jamcg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:02 pm The average user will follow the celebs they follow on the platforms. If there’s a mass exodus from twitter to threads of big content posters then the average user will follow
yep, that's a valid reason. So why will the celebs who've already built their massive following migrate?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

If meta can manage the integration between Facebook, instagram and threads well that will possibly shift it over. The more that Elon causes controversy then could be a move to disassociate themselves from him.

I’m not saying this would be an overnight success and that it’s a guaranteed thing, but they have every chance to make a go of this and fuck twitter over big time
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

So Musk fired a load of Twitter engineers, and now he's upset that they got new jobs doing the same thing somewhere else.

<facepalm>
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just some of my annoyances with Twitter recently - 20-25% of the tweets being ads, frequently broken, pushing me Elon’s tweets, the sheer amount of spam which ruins reading tweets from anyone with a semi large following.
Threads doesn’t have to have a new USP, just make it less annoying and that’s good enough.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:04 pm
jamcg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:02 pm The average user will follow the celebs they follow on the platforms. If there’s a mass exodus from twitter to threads of big content posters then the average user will follow
yep, that's a valid reason. So why will the celebs who've already built their massive following migrate?
I suspect that most of them are already on Instagram, so it won't be a massive issue to switch (and if they're big enough they have people to manage their social media presences).

If threads can do Twitter better than Twitter and Mastodon, they'll do alright.

Edit: or at least be less Musky.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:03 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:59 pm For a lot of people who already have plenty of followers it is enough of a reason.

I have 17 followers and made approx 10 tweets in the past 10 years or so.

I don’t even bother looking at posts or threads people link to Twitter on here any more since it’s become incredibly annoying.

I have an account. I don’t consider myself a Twitter user.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:29 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:03 pm

I don’t even bother looking at posts or threads people link to Twitter on here any more since it’s become incredibly annoying.

I can see why you're concerned about limits to the number of threads you can see...

I'm pretty much playing devils advocate on this one - I genuinely can't see enough people jumping ship for it to become the default choice ahead of Twitter, but it's been interesting hearing the pretty compelling reasons why it could/should. I do think Musk is a bit of a penis though and it'll be nice to see him lose (and not be told "where's your billions" if you dare question anything he does).
Beany

Post by Beany »

I deleted my account on twitter because using it became a tedious fucking chore.

Look for a hashtag, spend two minutes scrolling, you hit a rate limit and you're done for the day.

Fuck it, account gone.

In the same way that Netflix only succeeds while it's just slightly more convenient than piracy, twitter only succeeds while it's slightly bettter to use/has better content than the competition.

Well, for me, I couldn't reliably access that content, so what's the point? I'll wait to see where all the decent current affairs analytics people go to and just lurk on that instead.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:33 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:03 pm I didn't think you used Twitter Harry?

I can see why you're concerned about limits to the number of threads you can see...

I'm pretty much playing devils advocate on this one - I genuinely can't see enough people jumping ship for it to become the default choice ahead of Twitter, but it's been interesting hearing the pretty compelling reasons why it could/should. I do think Musk is a bit of a penis though and it'll be nice to see him lose (and not be told "where's your billions" if you dare question anything he does).
I didn’t say those were reasons I would swap, just reasons why other people might prefer threads over Twitter.

I just never really liked or used it, and like it even less now moon face is in charge.
Cheers, Harry
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Rich B wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:03 pm I didn't think you used Twitter Harry?

Are you actually using Threads? Foodie Threads is more alive and busy than Food Twitter has been in years.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:53 am

Are you actually using Threads? Foodie Threads is more alive and busy than Food Twitter has been in years.
ive had a quick look (and seen it is IDENTICAL to Twitter) but not signed up yet.

As I've said, I've not really got anything invested in either and really just giving an "average user" type opinion. I'm intrigued to see if this initial boom actually translates to long term switching.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:15 pm
Just some of my annoyances with Twitter recently - 20-25% of the tweets being ads, frequently broken, pushing me Elon’s tweets, the sheer amount of spam which ruins reading tweets from anyone with a semi large following.
Threads doesn’t have to have a new USP, just make it less annoying and that’s good enough.
But it's Meta. So it will become just as irritating and chock full of shite and ads as they did with FB and started doing with Insta.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Zuck said earlier 70m people had signed up, so guessing it’s off to a good start at least.

I mainly look at twitter for FPL content and some football updates/news. I wasn’t desperate for a new twitter, but was easy to sign up and anyone I follow on instagram can be followed on threads now with one click. It’s ok, and I’ll probably just look at it occasionally.

I’m not fan of Elon, so ignoring something of his is a plus in my books.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

IanF wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:09 pm

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
If he ever tried to sue Threads, the literal dozens of posts like this, where he gleefully states that the sacked staff were useless wastes of space, would be exhibit A.

I mean, it's basically come down to that he's paid $44bn to be told he's going to fail, and then speedrun actually failing.