Overdue service / New Car

Carlos

Re: Overdue service?

Post by Carlos »

:ugeek:
Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:50 am When did they start adding the "911" badge too? 996/997 never had it - was it around this 991 time?
Some 996's had them. The Millennium and 40Jahre cars definitely did.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

jamcg wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:47 am Looks great, you’ll be needing a decent sized torque wrench if you even want to remove your own wheels I believe

As for the badges I’d leave them- given the cars age, anything that gets removed may still be visible due to different rates of physical wear from polishing etc and different uv reactions- so if you remove them there’s a risk you’ll always see a ghosting/shadow of where they used to be
A torque multiplier and decent modest sized torque wrench is a more transportable solution. Good torque wrenches which will do big lb/ft ( mine are 350 ) are large and expensive! Need to be able to torque in both directions too as I expect one side has reverse threads. Even if they have a reversible ratchet most only torque accurately in one direction.
Cheers, Harry
John

Post by John »

8-)

Perfect colour combination for the weather we are experiencing at the moment :D
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:25 am
jamcg wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:47 am Looks great, you’ll be needing a decent sized torque wrench if you even want to remove your own wheels I believe
A torque multiplier and decent modest sized torque wrench is a more transportable solution. Good torque wrenches which will do big lb/ft ( mine are 350 ) are large and expensive!
Spec is quoted as 500-600 newton meters (~370ftlb—443ftlb). And most people seem to aim for the top end of that range - which is (a bit weirdly) measured with the wheels off the ground.
GG.

Post by GG. »

As for the badges I’d leave them- given the cars age, anything that gets removed may still be visible due to different rates of physical wear from polishing etc and different uv reactions- so if you remove them there’s a risk you’ll always see a ghosting/shadow of where they used to be
A torque multiplier and decent modest sized torque wrench is a more transportable solution. Good torque wrenches which will do big lb/ft ( mine are 350 ) are large and expensive! Need to be able to torque in both directions too as I expect one side has reverse threads. Even if they have a reversible ratchet most only torque accurately in one direction.
Happily with it being a Porsche Approved car I don't need to worry about it so much. I don't think it is ever something I'd attempt myself having seen videos of people using what looks like a 3 foot long breaker bar to get them off! The centre caps were all mangled from previous attempts so that was something else I had them swap before taking delivery.

The 'badging in black' of the GTS means that it doesn't draw so much attention to the word soup on the back (which I also hated when the 991s were released). As has been mentioned I'd never fiddle with it now as from prior painful experience the existing badging will leave etching below which will never polish out completely plus getting the badging back on properly is seemingly some kind of dark art :?

The satin black wheels do look much much better in real life than they do in the photos. Digital/iPhone cameras fail to have the dynamic range necessary to capture the difference between black paint, wheel arch shadows and black wheels without just merging it all into one. The picture Mik commented on is truer to life.

Anyway - seems like a number of people are up for a meet somewhere in the South. Either West Sussex near Goodwood or somewhere in Oxfordshire might suit a number of people. Maybe I'll start another thread for that.
GG.

Post by GG. »

John wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:35 am 8-)

Perfect colour combination for the weather we are experiencing at the moment :D
I know - that's before we get to the pollen dust bath everything is receiving. Oh well - it'll look nice for a couple of days :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

GG. wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:43 pm You’re near Croydon right? I’ll come round one day and we can go for a spin.
Orpington. Please do! I've got a couple more weeks of being a man of leisure before I start my new job.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:48 am
Anyway - seems like a number of people are up for a meet somewhere in the South. Either West Sussex near Goodwood or somewhere in Oxfordshire might suit a number of people. Maybe I'll start another thread for that.
Metcalfe triangle North of Burford…?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

mik wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:43 am
A torque multiplier and decent modest sized torque wrench is a more transportable solution. Good torque wrenches which will do big lb/ft ( mine are 350 ) are large and expensive!
Spec is quoted as 500-600 newton meters (~370ftlb—443ftlb). And most people seem to aim for the top end of that range - which is (a bit weirdly) measured with the wheels off the ground.
I’ve seen some videos with people saying Porsche are very specific with the tightening/ loosening procedure.

Have to have the car raised, have to pull up against the suspension etc. I don’t really see why, the huge force on it is easily going to pull the wheel on even if it’s at a slight angle with the weight of the car on it.

I guess a lot of it is to scare owners off trying it themselves, also in case someone guns the nut right off without lifting the car and the whole thing falls over etc.

I can understand not pulling down on the suspension with a huge bar with the car raised, but don’t see how it can do any harm with the car on the ground.

I’ve always done mine reasonably tight by hand with a normal torque wrench ( probably about 100 lb/ft ) before dropping to the ground and torquing properly with a multiplier. Doing everything in the air then needs a way to lock the brakes too. Even on tarmac if you try pulling up with a long bar to 400lb/ft you’re just going to make a front wheel spin!
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Re: Overdue service / New Car

Post by duncs500 »

Looks lovely @GG.. 8-)

I'd be keen for a meet if it's Oxfordshire way. :)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:53 pm
mik wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:43 am

I’ve seen some videos with people saying Porsche are very specific with the tightening/ loosening procedure.

Have to have the car raised, have to pull up against the suspension etc. I don’t really see why, the huge force on it is easily going to pull the wheel on even if it’s at a slight angle with the weight of the car on it.

I guess a lot of it is to scare owners off trying it themselves, also in case someone guns the nut right off without lifting the car and the whole thing falls over etc.

I can understand not pulling down on the suspension with a huge bar with the car raised, but don’t see how it can do any harm with the car on the ground.

I’ve always done mine reasonably tight by hand with a normal torque wrench ( probably about 100 lb/ft ) before dropping to the ground and torquing properly with a multiplier. Doing everything in the air then needs a way to lock the brakes too. Even on tarmac if you try pulling up with a long bar to 400lb/ft you’re just going to make a front wheel spin!
It sounds like Porsche wank. I can't see any reaosnable reason why the nuts need to be torqued so high, nor why it needs to be done in the air.

It will be to scare owners into ensuring they take it to an OPC so they can fleece them.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:19 am It sounds like Porsche wank. I can't see any reaosnable reason why these should be on a consumer road car in the first place.
FTFY.

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:19 am It will be to scare owners into ensuring they take it to an OPC so they can fleece them.
Yep.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Of course, I made that comment without seeing that the wheels are centre-locking :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:33 am Of course, I made that comment without seeing that the wheels are centre-locking :lol:
pffft :lol:

I quite like the aesthetric of centrelocks, but there are too many disadvantages for a road car imho.

Also - check out these numbnuts - aren't the wheels on the right hand side of the car reverse-threaded? So they are actually doing their best to further tighten these rather than loosen them?

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Err, how did cutting the outer portion of the wheel off help?!
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:04 pm Err, how did cutting the outer portion of the wheel off help?!
Maybe that's standard practice when you try to loosen your wheel nuts by tightening them? :geek:
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

GG. wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:51 pm Image
Approved :!:
Cunt.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

mik wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:53 am

Also - check out these numbnuts - aren't the wheels on the right hand side of the car reverse-threaded? So they are actually doing their best to further tighten these rather than loosen them?
In my experience, yes. Im sure a lot of race cars are too which is why you used to see them with different colour nuts on each side 🧐
Cheers, Harry
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Stunning car. Congratulations!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Looks fantastic GG, congratulations.
Left over crest; tightens.