£100

Zonda_

Re: £100

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:14 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:05 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:57 pm In my head it's still a lot of money.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's less than a tank of petrol, and slightly prompted by DaveE's update, it's about half an hour's labour at a Porsche dealer. It's not "a lot" of money.
You have a big tank! £60 fills mine :D
That’s no way to refer to the Bentley Zonda. :?

I don’t think I have ever put more that £70 in the Evora….
Ye, the TT was regularly over £70, the M135i might occasionally go over £60 but only if I’ve run it really low and it still gets the same miles as the TT did!
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Drinks are the one that's killing me. I quit drinking in 2012 and started again in December 2019 which was swiftly followed by a pandemic which wiped out most social occasions. I'm only just re-discovering how mind-bendingly expensive it can be to have a half-decent night out in town. Oh, and any restaurant that's vaguely nice.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavster wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:21 pm Drinks are the one that's killing me. I quit drinking in 2012 and started again in December 2019 which was swiftly followed by a pandemic which wiped out most social occasions. I'm only just re-discovering how mind-bendingly expensive it can be to have a half-decent night out in town. Oh, and any restaurant that's vaguely nice.
Yep, we went to the local Thai place and 4 mains with drinks came to just shy of £200!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:05 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:57 pm In my head it's still a lot of money.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's less than a tank of petrol, and slightly prompted by DaveE's update, it's about half an hour's labour at a Porsche dealer. It's not "a lot" of money.
You have a big tank! £60 fills mine :D
I do very few miles now so I rarely brim any of them, I just put in £50 as & when. So I had to check the capacities. Google says...

Cayenne = 100 litres
Scimitar (not mine any more, but I have a vested interest) = 97 litres
Spur, Galaxie = 90 litres
Vantage = 80 litres
996 = 64 litres (prob just about £100 of SUL)

Second division:
Compact = 52 litres
MINI = 40 litres
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Yep, the M135 has a 52 litre tank too, probably the same one from the Compact! It always gets SUL manly because it’s only 5p a litre more.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:26 pm Aye, it’s been catching me out a lot recently. I went through 2 weeks salary in about 4 days last weekend, wasn’t even really doing anything :lol:
I've noticed this a lot this last 12mo. Typically I might previously have had a run of 2-3mo of costs and then my account would start to recover. That's just not happening anymore. I don't expect anyone to get their small violins out, but I think the tax threholds being frozen, particularly the higher rate one, has really started to bite. I effectively haven't had a payrise since leaving my previous employer and setting up a business.

I'm sure I read the other day that the average weekly pay has stagnated, and remains the same as it was pre-2008. Just found it int he Guardian actually:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -thinktank
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Gavster wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:21 pm Drinks are the one that's killing me. I quit drinking in 2012 and started again in December 2019 which was swiftly followed by a pandemic which wiped out most social occasions. I'm only just re-discovering how mind-bendingly expensive it can be to have a half-decent night out in town. Oh, and any restaurant that's vaguely nice.
And then some.

Went out with friends last week and we had a nice meal in a not-too-upmarket restaurant. Three courses each, shared a bottle of wine, and had a glass of dessert wine each. £95/head. Nobody went overboard on the ordering, wine was at the cheaper end of the list.

Went to a pub after, again nothing fancy. Two glasses of red £21.50.

I did enjoy being out among people again though.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Just about enough to buy 10 pints of neck oil. £6.20 in my local which isn't apparently that bad :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We checked the other week as dog food has gone up again.

In 2019 we needed £2300 put into the joint account to cover everything for an average month. It’s now just tipped over £3000.

£450 a month now to feed the dogs alone. That’s more than our mortgage.

We have no sky, only Amazon.
Cheap internet, the house itself is cheap to run and the car taxes, insurances etc are paid off whenever needed so no other loans or monthly bills.

Can’t complain too much, there is savings, shares, kids savings and we aren’t struggling but considering what we earn we aren’t making the progress we feel we should be.

The only saving grace is I genuinely want house prices under control as currently they are just stupidly expensive.

Dave!
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:58 pm We checked the other week as dog food has gone up again.

In 2019 we needed £2300 put into the joint account to cover everything for an average month. It’s now just tipped over £3000.

£450 a month now to feed the dogs alone. That’s more than our mortgage.

We have no sky, only Amazon.
Cheap internet, the house itself is cheap to run and the car taxes, insurances etc are paid off whenever needed so no other loans or monthly bills.

Can’t complain too much, there is savings, shares, kids savings and we aren’t struggling but considering what we earn we aren’t making the progress we feel we should be.

The only saving grace is I genuinely want house prices under control as currently they are just stupidly expensive.

Dave!
Mental isn't it, I used to have a healthy pot for savings, doing stuff etc each month and it's drying up. My massive 2% pay rise just isn't enough to make any difference either.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My mortgage is 3 times that - I couldn't afford your dogs even if I wanted them! 😄
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

We've had it good for over a decade with low inflation and low interest rates and didn't realise it. Lack of wage inflation is now biting us in the bum, the media and politicians talking about austerity after the credit crunch and that we were all hurting, this is the hurt!

I get to see a broad range of circumstances through my work and if you are able to broadly maintain your standard of living even if that means trimming what you were saving/investing your'e doing great. This more so applies to those with dependent children and mortgages.

Don't beat yourself up, better days will come.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It's funny when they say high interest rates are good for savers - seems incredibly naïve to me? The bank rates are crap, especially after a few grand. I remember reading earlier in the year that JPM made monster profits in America as they were offering customers 1% interest whilst they were putting the other 4% in their own pocket. Not much better here.
Then you get some old twat on the news comment that it's good for savers whilst everyone is getting screwed and everything is increasing more. You're earning a measly return on a large sum on money whilst everything else has doubled in price. Fuck me sideways.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mrs Miggins with her index linked pensions and £200k in the bank isn't feeling the squeeze!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:15 pm It's funny when they say high interest rates are good for savers - seems incredibly naïve to me? The bank rates are crap, especially after a few grand. I remember reading earlier in the year that JPM made monster profits in America as they were offering customers 1% interest whilst they were putting the other 4% in their own pocket. Not much better here.
Then you get some old twat on the news comment that it's good for savers whilst everyone is getting screwed and everything is increasing more. You're earning a measly return on a large sum on money whilst everything else has doubled in price. Fuck me sideways.
Yes very much this. Plus it’s ignorant of the fact that rising rates are being used to combat inflation. With inflation running at 8% still the cash in my ISA opened earlier this year is worth 5% less annually even net of the interest received.

This volatility is also difficult to navigate for pension funds and most people are ‘savers’ through their pension assets. Mine made a small loss last year and given inflation the real terms value of the pot decreased by around 10%. Not good at all.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:01 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:26 pm Aye, it’s been catching me out a lot recently. I went through 2 weeks salary in about 4 days last weekend, wasn’t even really doing anything :lol:
I've noticed this a lot this last 12mo. Typically I might previously have had a run of 2-3mo of costs and then my account would start to recover. That's just not happening anymore. I don't expect anyone to get their small violins out, but I think the tax threholds being frozen, particularly the higher rate one, has really started to bite. I effectively haven't had a payrise since leaving my previous employer and setting up a business.

I'm sure I read the other day that the average weekly pay has stagnated, and remains the same as it was pre-2008. Just found it int he Guardian actually:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -thinktank
Yeah, I've been quite lucky as I've been upwardly mobile at work, so I've been getting decent raises for the last couple of years. 5 years ago these circumstances would've been a real struggle with both my partner and I on not great wages.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

New Mortgage is going up £400, fixed for 3 years...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…