New new new new Top Gear

MikeHunt

Re: New new new new Top Gear

Post by MikeHunt »

Monkey was talking about his polestar on a recent podcast and alluded to his impending unemployment.
scotta

Post by scotta »

MikeHunt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:02 am Monkey was talking about his polestar on a recent podcast and alluded to his impending unemployment.
Return to the you tubes possibly pending then.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:57 am There must be a law suit in the offing as both sides remain silent.

Perhaps he had concerns about safety, felt pressured into doing it, had the accident and there's liability etc.
Can you really see anyone pressuring Flintoff into doing anything that he didn't want to? I don't think he's that types. He'd just tell you to f#ck off 😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

McSwede wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:48 pm Can you really see anyone pressuring Flintoff into doing anything that he didn't want to?
I can to be honest - Deadlines looming, light fading, need to get it in the can. If you don't then the segment is ruined, we've nothing else for the show etc etc etc.

I can imagine the pressure to deliver content for a viable show is enormous on a program like Top Gear
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Can you take the follow through a bit faster please? Get it fully sideways, all we’ve got is boring shots of you enjoying yourself
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

McSwede wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:48 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:57 am There must be a law suit in the offing as both sides remain silent.

Perhaps he had concerns about safety, felt pressured into doing it, had the accident and there's liability etc.
Can you really see anyone pressuring Flintoff into doing anything that he didn't want to? I don't think he's that types. He'd just tell you to f#ck off 😂
I'm fairly sure CH has said that's exactly what happens on shoots.
Marv

Post by Marv »

For quite a while, I've been amazed that many of stunts that they do on TG and the Grand Tour get through any safety assessment, or H&S for that matter.

They seem to take far too many risks and there's now a history of presenters badly injured as a result. All for some light entertainment... It's quite sad that the BBC didn't learn anything from what happened with Jem Stansfield
Oui, je suis un motard.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

After being in a real, reasonably serious car crash would I fuck be in one voluntarily
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Marv wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:22 pm For quite a while, I've been amazed that many of stunts that they do on TG and the Grand Tour get through any safety assessment, or H&S for that matter.

They seem to take far too many risks and there's now a history of presenters badly injured as a result. All for some light entertainment... It's quite sad that the BBC didn't learn anything from what happened with Jem Stansfield
I don't quite understand that article as it seems to state he designed the stunt himself? Is the liability that BBC had an oversight role but let him go ahead with it anyway?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:37 pm
Marv wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:22 pm For quite a while, I've been amazed that many of stunts that they do on TG and the Grand Tour get through any safety assessment, or H&S for that matter.

I don't quite understand that article as it seems to state he designed the stunt himself? Is the liability that BBC had an oversight role but let him go ahead with it anyway?
I imagine that the argument is the BBC did not do a proper risk assessment of the stunt and ignored any potential warnings to not do the stunt.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

scotta wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:07 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:37 pm

I imagine that the argument is the BBC did not do a proper risk assessment of the stunt and ignored any potential warnings to not do the stunt.
H&S at work act - It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees.

The "reasonable practicable"-ness of the BBC goes a fair way I would imagine, plenty of money, experience and resources available to say "that ain't safe".
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

“ I was given the wrong ladder at work” compo advert

H&S executive would be asking the question of why you used it then, your employer would be in line to get fucked and you’d be in line for a lesser punishment but a punishment non the less, probably some sort of slap on the wrist small fine

You’ll then get a fuckton of compo which would potentially take that into account

You’ll still come out as the victim, even if you knew better and were in a position to say no. Hence why sky engineers get fully harnessed up to go up 3 treads on their ladders
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I don’t know.. there must be limits to H&S. otherwise the IoM TT would’ve bankrupt the organisers years ago. I guess TG has some pretty ironclad contracts to prevent anyone on their show suing them afterwards.
Cheers,

Ian
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

IanF wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:35 am I don’t know.. there must be limits to H&S. otherwise the IoM TT would’ve bankrupt the organisers years ago. I guess TG has some pretty ironclad contracts to prevent anyone on their show suing them afterwards.
not really the same things though, fuck knows how the H&S works for motorsport, but there's still a duty of care. If all the riders decided it would be more fun one day if they did the race naked with no helmets, the organisers would probably be in trouble if they said ok.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I imagine there’s some sort of waiver for liability that they sign to absolve the organisers of any wrongdoing. Also remember that if you look at any tickets to events they all say “motorsport is dangerous, attend at your own risk” on them somewhere
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m not sure how excluding liability for death and or injury works in reality as such waivers can’t exclude death/injury which is caused from negligence.
That then probably boils down to safety equipment and how much of it you have.
How about not having a sig at all?
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Cba finding the GT Fred. Watched the new one, what a pile of dross.
Marv

Post by Marv »

IanF wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:35 am I don’t know.. there must be limits to H&S. otherwise the IoM TT would’ve bankrupt the organisers years ago. I guess TG has some pretty ironclad contracts to prevent anyone on their show suing them afterwards.
The cost of Public Liability Insurance very nearly cancelled all motorcycle road racing in Ireland this year. Alot of them have been saved, but a decent number have been cancelled too IIRC.

The thing that keeps the IOM TT going, is how much money it brings into the island. If it wasn't such a big event in the motorcycle world, I suspect it would be in trouble, like Irish Road racing was.

Surely an employer even the size of the BBC can't overrule/bypass the Health and Safety Executive, via their employees contracts? The Entertainment industry is regulated by the HSE, so I imagine they can be sued by the HSE for allowing poor safety practices, or failing to take adequate steps to protect their employees?
Oui, je suis un motard.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Add rallying to the mix also.. or are the groups of people you see next to/on the track only happening in foreign lands?
Cheers,

Ian
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Only been to a couple of rally in the uk and they’re marshalled and have cordoned off no spectating areas in dangerous places so I’m sure there’s a certain amount of risk assessing which has to be done before the event.
Cheers, Harry