No F1 thread?

Mito Man

Re: No F1 thread?

Post by Mito Man »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:16 pm If they were to have touched, and Sainz had enough damage then Max would have probably received a 5 second penalty as you have to leave a cars width if an opponent is alongside - although these rules are less strict on lap 1.
I like George and Lewis as they’ll happily clash wheels with Max rather than get bullied.

I thought the race was pretty uneventful otherwise. Nice to see the Mercedes upgrades work and the new (or is that old) track layout was better.
What happened to Ferrari and Aston - nowhere today.
Edit - I don’t remember exactly but wasn’t Tsunoda’s penalty exactly for doing what Max did?

Edit 2 - 6 mins in that highlights video but Zhou was more alongside.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I said exactly the same thing about max corner one when watching it. What it did do was force sainz to back off, which indirectly caused everyone else to slow down and Lewis got a boatload of wheel spin when accelerating again, which lost lando half his wing
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

If Sainz had got past, Max would have been past using DRS within a few laps anyway but was a real shame for Lando. Better race than Monaco though from 2 backward at least. The squeezing on the first lap is fairly standard by mist drivers, so it is not just Max, and at least one, maybe two drivers, did get penalties for late moves etc.

Wonder of that is Mercedes now well ahead of Aston Martin, I guess not as Stroll was fairly close and Alonso is usually faster, he just seemed to never recover from quali.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

As said above, the 2 incidents look similar but it is right to allow things on the first corner of the first lap.

MV seems to make poor decisions at times, he isnt racing like the championship is his to throw away and a smarter driver would have given space and waited 2 laps for DRS, rather than risk a DNF. In the last 2 races, he has been overdriving with huge half a lap gaps on 2nd and 3rd. It wouldn't be so bad if it made the race more exciting, but it's still dull as dishwater.
mik

Post by mik »

Weirdly this popped up on my youtube feed yesterday (bots are listening - send for help)

GG.

Post by GG. »

MikeHunt wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:06 am In the last 2 races, he has been overdriving with huge half a lap gaps on 2nd and 3rd. It wouldn't be so bad if it made the race more exciting, but it's still dull as dishwater.
I got bored even watching the highlights and fastfowarded from the half way point. None of the leaders seemed to change position after that.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Have barely watched any of this year's F1. I caught half of the Monaco highlights and switched off. Cancelled my F1 TV subscription as well.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I’m getting bored with it now, particularly when I’ve watched the support races at the BTCC (also boring now) and you watch the racing that goes on in the one make series. Endless overtakes and excitement from start to finish.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 am Have barely watched any of this year's F1. I caught half of the Monaco highlights and switched off. Cancelled my F1 TV subscription as well.
Blame kids. :cry:

Thinking of getting rid of Sky as I'm getting to watch very little sport these days.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I blame sky. They've made it so expensive and their rules have forced channel 4 to have shit late coverage. It's killed it for me. I don't even bother with the 6 minute YouTube highlights any more.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm Thinking of getting rid of Sky as I'm getting to watch very little sport these days.
Between the nipper and his football and me with the golf, I've had Sky Sports for nearly 20 years now. I've managed to avoid BT sports however, due to Arsenal being shit and never qualifying for the Champions League. However, I'm now going to have to get that next year too so that's another £28/month
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 am Have barely watched any of this year's F1. I caught half of the Monaco highlights and switched off. Cancelled my F1 TV subscription as well.
Blame kids. :cry:

Thinking of getting rid of Sky as I'm getting to watch very little sport these days.
I can't blame the boy - he's old enough that he can occupy himself now. I'd typically watch the highlights on the Sunday evening when the wife disappears for a bath. But it's just too boring at the mo. RB are clearly so far ahead of the opposition, it's a foregone conclusion, and MV himself is a boring turd of a driver, so I have zero interest in watching him win. At least Merc had some inter-team rivalry during their period of dominance.
Marv

Post by Marv »

I watch the 8 minute highlights they put on Youtube :lol:
Oui, je suis un motard.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I still enjoy the c4 highlights, but I’m really not fussed about spending 3 hours of a Sunday watching it live, and I’ve not really liked the sky coverage when I have watched it elsewhere so there’s no way I’d pay for it.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:07 pm I still enjoy the c4 highlights, but I’m really not fussed about spending 3 hours of a Sunday watching it live, and I’ve not really liked the sky coverage when I have watched it elsewhere so there’s no way I’d pay for it.
the channel 4 highlights seem to be about 2 days later, and when they eventually arrive on all4 you are forced to sit through 5 minute advert breaks.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The Sky build up coverage has gone down hill lately, but the race coverage is still the best IMO.

C4 just seems awful with the delayed release, ad breaks, and often when I've watched it what seemed like way more time spent on chat than race coverage. Plus, I find the lead presenter annoying.

I'd rather watch the short YT highlights than C4.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:08 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:53 pm Thinking of getting rid of Sky as I'm getting to watch very little sport these days.
Between the nipper and his football and me with the golf, I've had Sky Sports for nearly 20 years now. I've managed to avoid BT sports however, due to Arsenal being shit and never qualifying for the Champions League. However, I'm now going to have to get that next year too so that's another £28/month
Fyi, with EE I get free BT sport. I then pay £5 per month so that I can cast it to my TV. Cheap as chips way to enjoy all BT has to offer. 👍
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:12 am The Sky build up coverage has gone down hill lately, but the race coverage is still the best IMO.

C4 just seems awful with the delayed release, ad breaks, and often when I've watched it what seemed like way more time spent on chat than race coverage. Plus, I find the lead presenter annoying.

I agree. I only watch the race anyway, I never bother with the the bumph and guff (pre- or post-race). If I can't watch the race live I watch the YT content instead. C4 coverage (although I record it) just doesn't feel like an event. Nothing says "we're stymied by contract" like ad breaks in a "live" event or that you suddenly skip x laps ahead. If I do watch it, there will be plenty of fast forwarding going on.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:12 am C4 just seems awful with the delayed release, ad breaks, and often when I've watched it what seemed like way more time spent on chat than race coverage. Plus, I find the lead presenter annoying.

none of that is by accident. I'm pretty sure I read that Sky have dictated the percentage of actual coverage they can show in C4s show, basically forcing them waffle to fill time and basically to be shit.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Sky coverage is also ruined by Croft who is genuinely thick as mince and the past few years they keep putting ads in between the quali sessions despite charging an extortionate amount 🙄
Brundle also going down the corporate brainless route more and more but can’t particularly blame him as he’s near retirement age and they have a bus full of ex-f1 drivers who are more than happy to replace him.

I don’t know why the Sky F1 contract was renewed recently as I thought F1 wanted to shift everything to their own platform which was a much better deal.
How about not having a sig at all?