Multi camera angles

KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Re: Multi camera angles

Post by KiwiDave »

tim wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:26 am When I was dicking about with 4k footage in Adobe Premier, you could set the preview to a much lower res, to help with situations like this. You only only need to render the final output to 4k.
That's a valid point.

Also re: cloud stuff, unless you're working on genuine movie making spec IT and software setups, most consumer grade apps are still written to leverage local storage and local computing power on the machine as opposed to trying to rely on a connection to the web powerful enough to work with film editing.

It's pretty difficult here to get actual specs and 'how-tos' for the NZ film industry but I do know the last few internet cables laid connecting us to the world, as well as the business case model for Amazon and Microsoft to be building data centres here (finally) were propped up by a sizeable chunk by the film industry. They can't hope to offer sound stages and filming capacity to Hollywood if they can't get the day's zillion TB of 8k footage in LA within hours.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Coming back to this thread to simply have a grumble about how editing video to a high standard is a ridiculously laborious process. The amount of time needed to do a really strong edit on a video is equally as long as it takes to do all of the research, scripting, prop buying and filming. Somtimtes the editing is the longest part.

Anyway, massive respect to anyone that grows a successful YouTube channel. It's a huge amount of work to deliver a high-quality 10 min+ videos once a week, especially when most of the time, you aren't earning anything from it.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

Yep agreed.

I've just started doing some for my work, dipping back into video properly for the first time in a while. We're using Camtasia which is a bit more accessible for people who haven't done it before and to be honest I'm liking the simplicity of it. I don't need to have 5yrs experience with fucking After Effects to get something vaguely nice out of it.

But Jesus wept the first few clips took some time to do while I was learning it. We did a 90min conference with four speakers and audience feedback where on the day one of the presenters slides messed up (so I had to recreate it manually later) - probably 20hrs work in that one clip.

I'll get better at it but still... :shock:
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

KiwiDave wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:57 am Yep agreed.

I've just started doing some for my work, dipping back into video properly for the first time in a while. We're using Camtasia which is a bit more accessible for people who haven't done it before and to be honest I'm liking the simplicity of it. I don't need to have 5yrs experience with fucking After Effects to get something vaguely nice out of it.

But Jesus wept the first few clips took some time to do while I was learning it. We did a 90min conference with four speakers and audience feedback where on the day one of the presenters slides messed up (so I had to recreate it manually later) - probably 20hrs work in that one clip.

I'll get better at it but still... :shock:
Thanks for sharing that, it looks like useful software for a specific type of presentation/tutuorial style output. I might trial it, because I'm supposed to be creating a class on Skillshare by the end of June and I'm dreading the editing stage. If can smash through a Keynote presentation + video and then chop it together with Camtasia then it might be a winning way to do it.

I started learning AE, however, it was a step too far in terms of time commitment. It works out far more efficient to keep animations relatively simple and only use the graphics/effects possible in Premiere, therefore a more streamlined process on a single platform. It would be easy to start obsessing over how a specific piece of text moves in AE and thus adding another hour simply to make something bounce nicely.