Tipping

Do you tip? (Assuming you are somewhere that has a tipping culture).

Poll ended at Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:59 pm

1. I don't tip. I don't feel I should be expected to.
No votes
2. I don't tip unless I get exceptional treatment. Will tip a nominal amount.
15%
3. I don't tip unless I get exceptional treatment. Will tip a % of the bill.
15%
4. I generally tip, but at less than the expected "normal" %. For exceptional service I might throw in "normal" % tip.
4%
5. I generally tip, at expected "normal" %
35%
6. I generally tip, at a bit more than the expected "normal" %
23%
7. I always leave a big tip. Pays dividends next time I visit.
4%
8. I always leave a big tip. It shows I have loadsamoney.
No votes
9. Keep the change ya filthy animal.
4%
10. I prefer to argue about the tip (with the recipient or others in my party)
No votes

Total votes: 26

McSwede

Re: Tipping

Post by McSwede »

Funnily enough, I just tipped this afternoon. We had been out shopping and popped into a Bella Italia for a quick pizza. We were served by Raven from Our Yorkshire Farm. My little girl was super excited.

Raven was lovely. Polite, helpful, engaging, and charming. Service was excellent so I tipped 🎉🎉
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I generally tip at least 10% but like others, if the service has been crap then they get heehaw. I di find it more awkward now that I rarely carry cash, have to try and remember to make sure I have actual money as most places don't seem to have the option to add it to the bill if paying by card.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I’m amazed at how many places have the option to card tip and the waiting staff click to skip it. Sometimes it’s a godsend because nothing deserved it but many times I’ve wanted to leave a tip but with no cash and them skipping it I couldn’t
mik

Post by mik »

@jamcg - I think this is cos it is far more attractive to get cash instead (untaxed income) but like Gavin I often don’t have cash nowadays, so it’s via the card or nada.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I tip to convention as a norm but will give more for good service,

Back at home, I’ll always shout the Barman a pint too in the first round. That’s quite an Irish thing. (Have one yourself…)

I generally overpay tradespeople as it has almost always paid dividends ( people prepared to drop everything and come out in an emergency for example). Not massive amounts but my last job was £240 so I gave him £280 and he immediately gave me £20 worth of spare roof tiles)

I do believe in loading up the Karma bank a bit…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I'm with Mr. Pink. I only tip if the service has been over and beyond what I've expected. I got in a row with my mates when I was about 18 when I refused to tip as the service was utterly shit. They all came from wealthy homes where Daddy would tip regardless. I have the mentality that you shouldn't be rewarded just for doing your basic job. Doing more however, deserves a little extra.

Would you tup your binman at Christmas if 52 weeks of the year, the bastard left your bin in the middle of the road and most of the contents of the recycling were blowing around the street? Just because its Christmas and that's what everyone does, right? No. You'd tip him if he put your bin back where he found it, or even better on your drive and stopped when you'd forgotten to put the bin out and have come running after him in your dressing gown.

This tipping culture is getting too American. What next, tipping your mechanic because he's put your wheels on properly?
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Dinner for 4/5 people approx £200

Why should the waitress get £20 for walking between a table/bar/kitchen a few times ?
Real-life Females
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Oh good, we're at the pointless argument part of the tipping discussion :lol:
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:21 pm Oh good, we're at the pointless argument part of the tipping discussion :lol:
I refer you you the video in my original post.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I'll generally tip unless I get bad/indifferent service and then they can GTF.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

A good few years ago now, after a night of food and drinks I tried to pay and my card was declined. Within 30 seconds a slightly drunken me was explaining to amex that no I didn't wish them to approve a transaction for over £9000. Turns out I had typed my pin twice, once into the tip and a 2nd time to the actual chip and pin. :D
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

😂

I’ve noticed in the US that they’ve all increased to default tip amounts (18/20/22/25%) but locals custom tip back to previous levels (10-15%). I think it takes the piss a bit when you’re ordering a coffee to go, but then I looked at the actual amounts and really can’t give a fvck about 18 cents! 😂

I’m probably a generous tipper in UK because of the amount of time I spend in the US..
Cheers,

Ian
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Out on South Beach Miami last night.. 10c Ukraine, 25c Mt Sinai, 20% on everything tip, 6% state tax, 1% county tax, 2% resort tax. Totals nearly 30%!
Cheers,

Ian
Beany

Post by Beany »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:21 am A good few years ago now, after a night of food and drinks I tried to pay and my card was declined. Within 30 seconds a slightly drunken me was explaining to amex that no I didn't wish them to approve a transaction for over £9000. Turns out I had typed my pin twice, once into the tip and a 2nd time to the actual chip and pin. :D
So we know your pin starts with 9....

....carry on ;)
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:16 pm
MikeHunt wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:21 am A good few years ago now, after a night of food and drinks I tried to pay and my card was declined. Within 30 seconds a slightly drunken me was explaining to amex that no I didn't wish them to approve a transaction for over £9000. Turns out I had typed my pin twice, once into the tip and a 2nd time to the actual chip and pin. :D
So we know your pin starts with 9....

....carry on ;)
It doesn't anymore, its now 0-0-0-1 ;)

In actual fact, I don't know any of my pins now as im reliant on Apple Pay. There was one time I needed to insert the card as the contactless was broken, I had to go into the app to reveal the pin.