Perpetual IKEA Poang Chairs

mik

Perpetual IKEA Poang Chairs

Post by mik »

We bought a pair of IKEA Poang chairs (library image) in 2002 - initially as a cheap way to fill a larger living room when we moved (and couldn’t afford to be buying a new couch), and as the kids got older they became seats in their sprog-biased areas.

About 10 yrs ago they were looking totally fooked - a pair of cheap new seat pad/covers (£25 per chair from memory) made them look like new. 8-) And repeat again today. Fooked to brand new in the space of 60 seconds.

I would say “would buy again”, but - don’t have have to! 8-)
Marv

Re: Perpetual IKEA Poang Chairs

Post by Marv »

The following members would like to thank you for this post: Marv
Oui, je suis un motard.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Piss taking aside, I obviously have an appreciation/affliction for keeping things for a long amount of time, so I do like hearing about things like this!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

IKEA gets a lot of crap for the cheap awful stuff, but they do have some great products. We have some of the EKENÄSET chairs that are very well made - far better than stuff twice it's price.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nice 8-)
Perhaps rename thread IKEA Poang Chair running report ready for a decade's time.
scotta

Post by scotta »

We've got IKEA sofa's in the lounge. We went to other sofa shops but the IKEA sofas were comfy, Cheap and available right then to take as opposed to waiting 12 weeks.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nowt wrong with Ikea, and it’s all functional.
Most of the stuff in Chelsea Design Centre starts at 5 figures and it’s utter crap just trimmed in high quality fabric.
How about not having a sig at all?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Same for our Ikea sofa, bought for our first unfurnished flat together about 15 years ago (I managed to pick it up in my Civic) and it's still absolutely fine. All the covers come off (including arms/base/back) to wash but I got a new unused set for £30 on ebay a couple of years ago and it was like a new sofa again. As the kids are still jumping on it, building forts and spilling stuff it'll stay.

Way too much other Ikea stuff in our house, much of it 10+ years old and survived move after move. And I'm sat at an Ikea corner desk that used to be my mum's and I think is from the mid 90s. Solid stuff.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We had a 12 week wait for our new sofa when we moved so bought 3 of them to tide us over. They're brilliant chairs.

We didn't have room for them when the sofa's arrived but we gave them to a nephew and mates kids.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

When we were looking for a new couch the place we were looking at was quoting 6 to 8 months because of covid. Bought one of these to tide us over and never bothered getting the other one.
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/landskrona ... s29272689/

If I'd been ordering the Ikea couch to keep I would've got one with a higher back but other than that it's been great. Also lucky that we didn't get the more expensive one as my partner's a midden and their seat is covered in stains :lol:

ETA it was also only about £700 when I bought it, I'm not suggesting £1k is a cheap couch.
Last edited by ZedLeg on Tue May 09, 2023 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I binned all the ikea furniture I had :lol: the chair went to my mams though where it still is now. It’s up to about 11-12 years since we bought it originally

All our furniture is now from charity shops, sanded and painted up. Got a lot of stag minstrel furniture now
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

The following members would like to thank you for this post: Marv
duncs500
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:43 am We had a 12 week wait for our new sofa when we moved so bought 3 of them to tide us over. They're brilliant chairs.

We didn't have room for them when the sofa's arrived but we gave them to a nephew and mates kids.
Similar - we had three, all bought s/h, sold two of them for pretty much what we originally paid when they were replaced by a sofa bed, and we still have the third one.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Popped into IKEA today and can confirm that they still have a lot of temptingly stylish and well built furniture.

They also do a dark lager which went down nicely at lunchtime
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Below a price point Ikea stuff makes a lot of sense. We recently went with their wardrobe systems. All the flexibility of a built-in custom wardrobe but at a fraction of the cost.

They do some great pans as well - triple-ply stainless steel I think. Called Sensuell (oo-err). Easily as good as the Le Creuset 3-ply pans we have, but at a far more reasonable price.