Coaster/YK

dan

Re: Coaster/YK

Post by dan »

Thats really shit, RIP.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Very sad, met him the once at Snetterton when he wasn't having a great day but he still was happy to chat to a fellow forum member.

RIP
mik

Post by mik »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:54 am Had been thinking about him every time a freightliner went past the bottom of our garden.
I didn’t know what he did until I saw this tweet - and he got a response from Tiff 8-)

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Always seemed like a kind soul. RIP
Real-life Females
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

That's terrible news :( Never met him, but always seemed like a really nice bloke. RIP.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:18 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:54 am Had been thinking about him every time a freightliner went past the bottom of our garden.
I didn’t know what he did until I saw this tweet - and he got a response from Tiff 8-)

8-)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

So sad. Always came across as a lovely guy :(
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

RIP, sounds like he didn’t waste a minute.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Awful news. RIP Coaster.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thoughts echoed. Never had the pleasure of meeting many people on here, Coaster included, but saddened none the less for what is a terrible loss to his family and friends.

RIP Coaster.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Brian_T

Post by Brian_T »

Rather gutted at the news.

YK was such a genuinely nice guy; generous with his time and his dream car, and a total Car Guy.

I’ll remember with fondness the Highland p-rides, flat-6 roaring away and will raise a glass to him tonight.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:38 am Awful news. Really rather cut up about that. :cry:

YK loved a good run up in the Highlands and was always keen to meet up. Thoroughly nice bloke and an absolute CG - it was a stretch to buy his GT3, and he then used it as it was designed to be used. No investment pampering for YK.

I have more than one memory of him holding / poring over a large map instead of a phone screen - searching for local knowledge to finalise his route. I did well to hide the fact that I was rather chuffed when he insisted on a quick p-ride in the VXR8 at Glenshee - giggling at the awesome noise it made the first time I pulled from single-digit mph to the redline in 2nd - and expressing surprise at how much grip/traction it found.

My fave kinetic memory was chasing him along the best section of The Secret Road - first time I had seen his GT3 - me in the Evora. He was a handy wheelman, and it was great to watch the arse of the GT3 squatting into compressions, and generally moving in a way that only 911’s do. I had the undoubted benefit of following, but we were glued together by a long invisible bungie-rope for several twisty & undulating miles. When we got out at the next stop, we grinned at each other, and then burst into a fit of the giggles like naughty schoolboys.

These were (very hastily) taken elsewhere on that day. As usual - any time that could have been spent setting up the cars for a decent shot were instead spent gabbing or driving.

RIP friend. :cry:

That was indeed a great day. Flip side of that photo. Think we are all in this one.

Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Well, that's just awful. Like many of you, I never met him but was always by how generous and friendly he seemed. I'm sure he'll be sorely missed.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Marv

Post by Marv »

Must admit, I'm hurting from him passing away today. Back from the days of him owning a Corrado we used to PM each other quite often. Then when he was training to be a train driver, he visited Ipswich and we finally met up. In typical YK fashion, he instantly insisted that I drive his ITR! We must have done about 4 or 5 road trips together as well as meeting up when we could, despite living quite a distance from each other. We'd always keep in touch, and we'd always talk excitedly about or car plans and what trips we'd be doing that year. He really was a genuinely lovely bloke and a great friend. The thought of meeting up with him in future for some adventure or just lunch or dinner was always something I to looked forward to, and I'm really sad that it's not going to be possible anymore.

Thanks for the good times YK, I'm missing you like hell already.
Oui, je suis un motard.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Awful news. Rip coaster.
Barry wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:30 am The owner has purchase a cherished plate with YKs initials on it, to commemorate a good man.
That’s a nice touch. A genuinely lovely gesture
Barry

Post by Barry »

jamcg wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:57 pm Awful news. Rip coaster.
Barry wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:30 am The owner has purchase a cherished plate with YKs initials on it, to commemorate a good man.
That’s a nice touch. A genuinely lovely gesture
I exchanged messages with Simon (new owner) and he said he'll get me a picture when the new plate arrives. Lovely gesture indeed. 😎
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Very sad to hear that, and thanks for sharing Barry. Most of you are just usernames who I’ve not met in real life, which was true of Coaster, yet it’s still quite a shock and saddening when something like this happens.

Godspeed, with some full opposite lock on the way.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Bloody hell. I'm another who didn't meet YK, but as far as that old forum adage walking the walk goes, he was clearly one of the best of us. You could clearly see he got the most out of his car enthusiasm! Enjoyed all his posts about the GT3 and will miss them. RIP YK.
Barry

Post by Barry »

This was taken after an initial run, as we approached Nurburg the night before, in which I failed to video it on my phone - without realising we'd passed an unrestricted section he just dropped to third and nailed it. I saw 299kph on the dash.

Determined to get proper footage we went back the next night:

Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Ahh, that's horrible news. I too met him at ages ago in the Corrado days, him giving me a ride in that, and me him in the Pug. Seemed a really nice guy. Condolences to his family and you guys that knew him as a mate.
Cheers.

Gwaredd