The Movie Thread

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:45 pm Lewis Capaldi netflix doc

I have no interest in his music but I like to see a wee guy from the scheme do well :lol:, pretty good music doc. I have a feeling it started off as a small "extras" project for his second album and spiralled with lockdown and his tourettes diagnosis.

Worth watching even if you're not a fan.
Ahh yeah, watched that too, he's brilliant for his candid personality. It was also really interesting to see how much pressure he was under to create hit songs, must be really stifling. And all the record company people had that PR kinda vibe where everything they said felt like it was laced with ulterior motives or trying to push him into a certain direction. It must be really hard to deal with, because until that first hit album, an artist thrives on doing whatever the hell they want. Suddenly having a team of people telling you not to make sad songs, or telling you that they're depending on you for their cut of the pie is pretty de-motivating. I'd want to tell them all to get fucked :lol: I get it on a low level when PRs try to tell me how to make my videos during brand collabs - I have developed lots of professional-sounding ways of saying "no, I'm doing it my way".
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Not watched the documentary, but that candid personality is on full show in this clip- nsfw language

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Gavster wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:02 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:45 pm Lewis Capaldi netflix doc

I have no interest in his music but I like to see a wee guy from the scheme do well :lol:, pretty good music doc. I have a feeling it started off as a small "extras" project for his second album and spiralled with lockdown and his tourettes diagnosis.

Worth watching even if you're not a fan.
Ahh yeah, watched that too, he's brilliant for his candid personality. It was also really interesting to see how much pressure he was under to create hit songs, must be really stifling. And all the record company people had that PR kinda vibe where everything they said felt like it was laced with ulterior motives or trying to push him into a certain direction. It must be really hard to deal with, because until that first hit album, an artist thrives on doing whatever the hell they want. Suddenly having a team of people telling you not to make sad songs, or telling you that they're depending on you for their cut of the pie is pretty de-motivating. I'd want to tell them all to get fucked :lol: I get it on a low level when PRs try to tell me how to make my videos during brand collabs - I have developed lots of professional-sounding ways of saying "no, I'm doing it my way".
Yeah, my partner is currently working on new music and the line “ you get your whole life to work on your first album and 6 months to work on your second” really resonated.

The footage of the wembley show is heartbreaking.
An absolute unit
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

jamcg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:58 pm Not watched the documentary, but that candid personality is on full show in this clip- nsfw language

😂

His TikTok account is something else, he’s always talking about wanking and walking around in his pants
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:21 am

Yeah, my partner is currently working on new music and the line “ you get your whole life to work on your first album and 6 months to work on your second” really resonated.

The footage of the wembley show is heartbreaking.
That line definitely hit hard.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Batman

Not great if I'm honest - too long, too dark (tone and brightness), Catwomen was a lost opportunity. Questions about whether Robert Pattinson could pull off Batman are a bit moot as he only appears as Bruce Wayne for about 5 minutes of a 2 3/4 hour film

3 fruity sounding Batcar's out of 10.

(side note - 2 Actors from Chernobyl appear in minor roles - Mining Guy from Eastenders and Plant Director Bryukhanov)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

John Wick 4

All kinds of awesome. They've really taken the extended fight scenes and elevated them to incredible bits of choreography. Obviously you have to accept from the outset that its going to be monumentally silly and just sit back to enjoy the thrill ride. They also love dogs, so would get an extra mark for that. That and John Wick's signature move where he will just throw a gun to take someone down if he's out of ammo.
Cheers,

Mike.
John

Post by John »

Finally watched Top Gun Maverick. It was ok although I suspect it would have been more impressive in the cinema. Preferred the original, seemed less polished.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

A Man Called Otto

A lovely film staying true to the book. Tom Hanks was great, and it was cast well. They'd managed the transition from a Swedish to American context very well, and with mostly less known/unknown actors it came across more authentic. Definitely worth two hours of your time.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:13 pm A Man Called Otto

A lovely film staying true to the book. Tom Hanks was great, and it was cast well. They'd managed the transition from a Swedish to American context very well, and with mostly less known/unknown actors it came across more authentic. Definitely worth two hours of your time.
Agreed - it is really really good.

I thought Mariana Treviño as Marisol stole the show. It’s funny and poignant, hilarious and gut wrenching.

I’m a soppy old sod at the best of times but this one got me good and I had things in my eye several times.

I’ll give 9 out of 10…
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:08 am

I thought Mariana Treviño as Marisol stole the show. It’s funny and poignant, hilarious and gut wrenching.

I’m a soppy old sod at the best of times but this one got me good and I had things in my eye several times.

I’ll give 9 out of 10…
There were definitely a few tears when I watched it too.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Living.

Slow and plodding, but - that’s exactly as the director intended. Rather moving.

Bill Nighy is just fabulous. 8-)

Thoroughly enjoyed it. 8 paper shufflers out of 10.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

RobYob wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:30 pm Dungeons & Dragons silly, but in a very entertaining way.

Good cast, clearly had a lot of fun upending a few Fantasy tropes. Mostly excellent CGI (although a couple of bits so clunky I'm not sure they weren't a deliberate homage I just didn't recognise)

Great family adventure movie.
It was far better than expected...chubby dragon was a great scene. Well worth a watch.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Matty wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:42 am
RobYob wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:30 pm Dungeons & Dragons silly, but in a very entertaining way.

Good cast, clearly had a lot of fun upending a few Fantasy tropes. Mostly excellent CGI (although a couple of bits so clunky I'm not sure they weren't a deliberate homage I just didn't recognise)

Great family adventure movie.
It was far better than expected...chubby dragon was a great scene. Well worth a watch.
Saw that a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, I know nothing about the game so no hang ups about getting anything wrong. Silly but fun.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

If you enjoyed the first 2, you will enjoy it. It was a good way of tying up the GOTG films although a little like the end of Civil War.

Some of it was quite slow but overall a thumbs up.

Won't put spoilers.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:08 am

I’ll give 9 out of 10…
Thanks guys, I popped in here to get film inspiration for this evening and you have delivered. I'm going to watch this one and will report back in a few hours :)
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Totally agree that Marisol was brilliantly acted, the machine-gun Mexican chatter was brilliant. Also really enjoyed Hanks' performance, his slightly glum sincerity fitted this role perfectly.

It's one of those films that's hard to fault, so I'll also go with 9 Chevvies out of 10
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I think the only thing that was out of keeping with the character was the truck he bought, can't see him going for something bling. But that's a minor thing.
---
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Spoiler
I just thought he bought a truck he thought she would want
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:37 pm
Spoiler
I just thought he bought a truck he thought she would want
Good point.
---
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Gavin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:54 am Guardians of the Galaxy 3

If you enjoyed the first 2, you will enjoy it. It was a good way of tying up the GOTG films although a little like the end of Civil War.

Some of it was quite slow but overall a thumbs up.

Won't put spoilers.
It was a good enough wrap up. But some severe mood whiplash particular on the animal cruelty side. Rocket Racoon's backstory is, as expected, pretty tragic.

I like Nathan Fillion but I wouldn't have noticed if that entire section of the film was cut and it was closer to 2 hours.