EOTR: Alfa 4C

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

EOTR: Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Deserves it's own post.

So long, Alfa 4C - a beautiful rolling savings account.

Owned- 22 months
Miles - ~2500
Cost to own/run - £0 8-)

In short, loved it despite all it's flaws of which there are many....it was just such a positively eventful drive everytime I took it out. It's as close as I'll get to owning something the feels properly special/exotic without spending 6 figures - although lots of people thought it cost close to that. Hugely positive attention from everyone.

Downsides were the width of it, huge doors and poor visability meaning I was pretty paranoid about parking it anywhere. Gearbox was "ok". Seats needed more bolsters. I was too tall for the car, clearly designed for 5ft Italians so I couldn't see the dash. Switchgear felt cheap, although optional leather dash lifted it. Servicing was quite expensive due to things like bolt tightening for the carbon tub. Steering was still iffy despite Alfaworks mods, both in terms of bumpsteer and overall feel.

I can't recommend one - unless you're a massive Alfa fan, or just are sold totally on the looks/mini-Exotic ethos......everyone else should just buy an Elise/Exige/A110.

On the true upside, taking into account all costs - Mods, Servicing, insurance, repairs, it cost me nothing to own. Actually calculated that I'm about ~£200 better off :lol: But I was still sad to see it go :cry:
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: EOTR: Alfa 4C

Post by Gavin »

They really are a great looking car but I suspect that in the market for something of that ilk I would go 110 or Cayman.

What are you replacing it with or are you about to start a "what next?" thread?
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I love seeing them on the rare occasion I do, but yeah, Exige for me.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The buyers must be there as they are certainly on the up. They look exotic and the carbon tub etc obviously makes them desirable.

The cab is tight and I'd be too big anyway but I'm still terrified of the flakey electrics and box. My IAM instructor has one and it's been with Fiat for months for the second time in 4 years with a faulty gearbox pump/actuator thingy!

Well done Matty for taking a gamble and coming out on top 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sad to see this one go, would have liked to have seen it in person, very rare sight on the road.

Cool purchase though, and winning in terms of cost! 8-)

As above, what's next?
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I still love them (or at least the idea of them!), but think I'd be buying a A110 over one if I was looking to buy that sort of car now. Sad to see it go from the Forum. :(
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Incredibly cool car, please drive them more 😂

Dave!
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:37 amIt's as close as I'll get to owning something the feels properly special/exotic without spending 6 figures - although lots of people thought it cost close to that. Hugely positive attention from everyone.
I know exactly where you are coming from here, I see a red one daily as the owner lives in the next road to me (I think his weekend car is a Ferrari 599) and it catches the eye almost every time.
Matty

Post by Matty »

Another Evora - 400/410 is top of the list by far, but I think they'll be taking a hit over the next 12 months as the Emira starts to roll out, especially with the i4 coming soon so I'm going to hold off on that.

Otherwise not much appeals. LC500's are still a stretch, and 964's are still absurd.
mik

Post by mik »

Great that you had the ownership experience - particularly for £0 8-)

Glad to hear you are still thinking of 400/410 next,
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Not surprising they’re a rare sight if owners do Matty mileage. I can entirely understand wanting one and also being happy to sell; they’re something lovely as an object.

I really wanted an Alpine A110 and still do if I ever see one, but I think I’d actually buy a Boxster again. Sadly. I don’t trust the Renault mechanicals any more than Alfa’s.
John

Post by John »

I think I've only seen two on the road and that includes one in Henley on Thames last weekend, a great looking car.
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:50 pm Sad to see this one go, would have liked to have seen it in person, very rare sight on the road.
This. Think I've only seen fleeting glimpses of the 4C, not been lucky enough to sit in the drivers or passenger seat of one!
Oui, je suis un motard.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:37 am Downsides were the width of it
It's been said, and the couple I've seen (one was a Spider) certainly looked it, so I thought I'd see how wide is wide with that handy 'site I posted t'other day;

Elise3 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

Evora v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

While there I looked at the Alpine - which always looks plenty wide enough - and Boxsters 987 & 718;

A110 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

987 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

718 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

As good as it is to see one, I'm glad owning one worked out well for you 8-) An excellent, pretty perfect experience 8-)
Matty

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:28 pm Not surprising they’re a rare sight if owners do Matty mileage. I can entirely understand wanting one and also being happy to sell; they’re something lovely as an object.

I really wanted an Alpine A110 and still do if I ever see one, but I think I’d actually buy a Boxster again. Sadly. I don’t trust the Renault mechanicals any more than Alfa’s.
I thought you always said you thought your Boxster was a bit too refined for a second car?

And I'd have no issue with recommending the 4C as a reliabile car - across the forum/FB groups they've proven to be incredibly reliable, pretty much the only issue that's consistent across the board is alternators due to water ingress (cheap) and the gearbox module (cheap and DIY).
Marv wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:24 pm
duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:50 pm Sad to see this one go, would have liked to have seen it in person, very rare sight on the road.
This. Think I've only seen fleeting glimpses of the 4C, not been lucky enough to sit in the drivers or passenger seat of one!
Not mentioned above, but I really regret not doing more with it. I've had an incredibly busy few years with work, and I've not had the time nor inclination to do anything else. Alas, the opportunity for an easy sale, plus house stuff, job changes and other personal circumstances meant it was worth selling....getting older gives the financial freedom to buy cars like these, but loads of boring practical bollocks gets in the way of actually using them :lol:
Last edited by Matty on Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matty

Post by Matty »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:37 pm
Matty wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:37 am Downsides were the width of it
It's been said, and the couple I've seen (one was a Spider) certainly looked it, so I thought I'd see how wide is wide with that handy 'site I posted t'other day;

Elise3 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

Evora v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

While there I looked at the Alpine - which always looks plenty wide enough - and Boxsters 987 & 718;

A110 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

987 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

718 v 4C; https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compar ... its=metric

As good as it is to see one, I'm glad owning one worked out well for you 8-) An excellent, pretty perfect experience 8-)
Those measurement's don't include the 4C's "big ears" mirrors, which push it over 2m wide. It also *feels* wide.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:23 pm Those measurement's don't include the 4C's "big ears" mirrors, which push it over 2m wide. It also *feels* wide.
Oops, I meant to put "yep, it's wide". I was surprised how close the Evora is. Wikipedia has the 4C at 2.09m with mirrors - you don't need that feeling any wider than it is :shock:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

1cm wider than the M2 - I thought it was lambo wide by the way people talk about it! 😀
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:21 pm I thought you always said you thought your Boxster was a bit too refined for a second car?
I did, but that was when I wasn’t yet 40 and with a E46 330i as my everyday car. I think at 50 with a bigger, heavier diesel everyday car it would fit better. I also think the refinement would mean I’d actually use it to drive to work and take the scenic route home; I’m not sure these days I’ll be getting up early on a Sunday to drive to Wales on a whim even in an Elise or an A110.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:05 am 1cm wider than the M2 - I thought it was lambo wide by the way people talk about it! 😀
It’s the same width as a Murcielago. Your car is also giant :lol:.

Must be a satisfying car to tick off the list Matty, good luck with the next thing.
An absolute unit