EV Thread

nuttinnew

Re: EV Thread

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:05 pm We’re still years away from it but I reckon there will be a pretty damning report in the next 10/20 years which shows the massive push to green energy in the West made bugger all difference to global emissions, caused greater global environmental contamination from mining and significantly increased wealth inequality. It’s already obvious where it’s all heading.
Surely, it's all to get rid of the petrodollar.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:33 pm Just some late night pub chat and a viewpoint from someone more intelligent than me (granted that's not a high bar) on the Tesla price drop, however they've made a small fortune from Tesla stock so may be biased. Tesla make roughly $10,000 profit per car. Other manufacturers only a few thousand. If the others get involved in a price war and slash prices which they may have to they will hurt much more, possibly selling at a loss. Tesla have $21 billion cash on hand so are sitting comfortably for a few years. Could make life very difficult for many of these new EV manufacturers who don't have healthy cashflow especially as we may be going into a recession.
Well this happened exactly as my acquaintance predicted and they must be sitting on a rather larger fortune now. Tesla up over 100% now from it's January lows, with an EV price war gathering pace over in the US https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 023-02-09/
Not really sure what's happening in the UK if anything with EV prices?
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:53 pm
KevH18 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:53 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:18 pm Some of the NHS e-car leasing deals are *astonishing*. There is a salary sacrifice thing we can tap into and a mate of mine is eyeing up a deal for £430/month over 3 years on an i-Pace.

This has got me thinking about chopping in the golf for a cayman at last and take out a lease deal on something small that will get me easily to work and back like an ID3.
Ours is through that scheme (I work for the local authority) and some what you think would be expensive cars are good value. Especially taking it into account that everything other than out of the ordinary maintenance is included - servicing, insurance, tyres.
EVs are obviously the best value due to the 1% BIK of these, that you still need to pay for any lease through the scheme
Agree it’s amazing. A Taycan is available too.
How have you found this scheme? My company is offering me something similar from mid-April and was wondering if there are any pitfalls to be aware of. I’ve currently spec’d a Taycan ST GTS and a FFRR hybrid, but there’s so many options, I will be playing with the system until it comes “live” and I can order.
Cheers,

Ian
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:10 pm

Ours is through that scheme (I work for the local authority) and some what you think would be expensive cars are good value. Especially taking it into account that everything other than out of the ordinary maintenance is included - servicing, insurance, tyres.
EVs are obviously the best value due to the 1% BIK of these, that you still need to pay for any lease through the scheme
How have you found this scheme? My company is offering me something similar from mid-April and was wondering if there are any pitfalls to be aware of. I’ve currently spec’d a Taycan ST GTS and a FFRR hybrid, but there’s so many options, I will be playing with the system until it comes “live” and I can order.
One thing I've found is that it's very difficult to hand back/change a car on the scheme as HMRC determine whether you can or no. The reasons aren't frivolous either, so can only be things like divorce, partner's death, long-term sickness...
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

KevH18 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:07 pm

One thing I've found is that it's very difficult to hand back/change a car on the scheme as HMRC determine whether you can or no. The reasons aren't frivolous either, so can only be things like divorce, partner's death, long-term sickness...
✔️
🤞
💪

Interesting, thanks.
Cheers,

Ian
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

That's no different to any other lease or company car scheme!

You can't just say fuck it I fancy a change!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

IanF wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:10 pm Taycan ST GTS
O/t but it's a good candidate for silliest model name;
"What Taycan have you got?
"The Sport Turismo Gran Turismo Sport."
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:39 pm
IanF wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:10 pm Taycan ST GTS
O/t but it's a good candidate for silliest model name;
"What Taycan have you got?
"The Sport Turismo Gran Turismo Sport."
STGTS actually appeals more onomatopoeically to me..
Cheers,

Ian
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Unfortunately I shifted to being employed by the university and, bafflingly, they don't have any sort of e-car scheme.

So I don't have much experience of it. One colleague has an e-tron and is paying some paltry sum and really enjoying it. Although another colleage ordered a Tesla model 3 a year ago via the scheme and is still waiting. There are comments about tax free allowances and pensions that I don't understand...
mik

Post by mik »

Oh dear. :(

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I quite like the sound of that. I'm very over the futuristic noise from a Taycan though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

McDonald’s chav meets in the future will be all about who can’t fit the loudest aftermarket “exhaust” on their EVs :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sounded like it was mooing to me. Surely one of the good things about EVs is the reduction in noise. What's the point of that?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:43 pm Sounded like it was mooing to me. Surely one of the good things about EVs is the reduction in noise. What's the point of that?
Word !

Trying to make them sound nice is as tragic as when a vegetarian says how great a sausage is, pah.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Saw a very interesting video on EV cars this morning.

A ICE car takes 6Tonnes of CO2 to be manufactured whereas a similar EV car takes between 12 and 15 Tonnes of Co2, due to the materials needed.

Taking into account the CO2 required to produce the electricity to power it (on an average Renewable vs Non Renewable Split), it takes about 80,000 miles before the Carbon Produced by the ICE car is more than the EV Car.

Can't find the clip anymore and taken with a pinch of salt but I found it very interesting - going to do some digging to see if there's any truth in it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:19 pm Saw a very interesting video on EV cars this morning.

A ICE car takes 6Tonnes of CO2 to be manufactured whereas a similar EV car takes between 12 and 15 Tonnes of Co2, due to the materials needed.

Taking into account the CO2 required to produce the electricity to power it (on an average Renewable vs Non Renewable Split), it takes about 80,000 miles before the Carbon Produced by the ICE car is more than the EV Car.

Can't find the clip anymore and taken with a pinch of salt but I found it very interesting - going to do some digging to see if there's any truth in it.
It's based on research undertkaen by Volvo, in which they analysed the carbon footprint of the produciton of EV and ICE versions of the same model. And they're very open about it, which is a good thing I suppose.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Thanks Mervin - I’ll hunt that report out 👍🏻
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Wonder what the average lifespan of a normal car is? Probably not a huge amount more than that, and I guess also assumes the ev battery won’t need replacement before that point.
Cheers, Harry