Ear infections

DaveE

Ear infections

Post by DaveE »

Something that's plagued me since I was a kid...

Came down with one during the last few days of our recent trip

Had to take two flights with it on the way home, which was "uncomfortable"

And it's now spread into the other ear, which has also closed up, meaning I'm now basically deaf (pardon?)

It's such a miserable pain (like toothache), makes me feel like a child again in that it stops me from doing anything, concentrating etc

Really makes me feel for my (or any) parents - children must be inconsolable when they have an ear infection, it's so painful and you can't get to it
mik

Re: Ear infections

Post by mik »

Horrible. Good luck.

I’ve had one eardrum burst from the inside out due to this, and the other eardrum detach itself from the wall of the ear canal to similarly release the internal pressure. Separate ocaisions. Each of them - as you might imagine - “quite painful”. Thankfully both fully healed - I was lucky. Get antibiotics.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I've had an eardrum go because of infection too @mik - that's really nasty

Dr gave me some spray thing, I've had it before and it's never really had much effect, but I'm playing willing

May need something stronger though

It's my wife's 50th on Friday, and I feel crap (about feeling crap) - can't see this clearing up much by tomorrow!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I had this for the first time in my life last trip with work.

Amoxcyllin (spell) then an ear spray and then drops. 18 hour flight back from Australia wondering if I should wait for the side of my skull to break off or maybe I’ll smack it against the bulkhead to relieve the pressure.

I’d rather break an arm.

Dave!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:12 am I had this for the first time in my life last trip with work.

Amoxcyllin (spell) then an ear spray and then drops. 18 hour flight back from Australia wondering if I should wait for the side of my skull to break off or maybe I’ll smack it against the bulkhead to relieve the pressure.

I’d rather break an arm.

Dave!
Oh man, I feel for you!

I "only" had a 3hr then a 9 hour flight (although that obvs involved 2 lots of ascent/descent)

I think it's quite dangerous to fly with ear infections as the pressure changes can easily rupture the ear drum - but whatchagonnado?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

You think ahh, I’ll just pop my ears by holding my nose, then it stings a bit and you can feel it closing up. All you can think is stay composed, smile and hopefully the left eye doesn’t start watering 😂

The idea of them being a regular occurrence is absolutely awful so for all those afflicted, may the light shine on you and shed great wealth in exchange.

Dave!