Saga of the Aston Martin Valkyrie

Mito Man

Re: Saga of the Aston Martin Valkyrie

Post by Mito Man »

NVH won't be too much of a problem if you're only doing 20 miles a year (if that) to keep it as an investment :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The noise difference interior to exterior was striking to me.

Might have been the microphone setup or any number of signal processing/compression steps in the the recording but it sounded to me like the exterior was getting expected V12 howl of six pulses per rev and the interior some weird sub harmonic thereof.

Possibly due to the rigid engine-tub connection the engine was "broadcasting" a sub-harmonic vibration (whatever the remaining imbalance of a V12 is, my Bosch handbook isn't within reach) moaning straight into the cabin.

I know the AML guys benchmarked an F50 (rigid engine-tub connection) for noise but maybe they couldn't do anything to fix the issue, especially with the mass target blown to pieces.

Would have been awesome to see at Leman but not to be sadly.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

It's a properly bonkers, one-of-a-kind hypercar which can only be a good thing?

I guess if you're able to afford one of these in the first place, you'll have the luxury of using it as little or as much as you want and will have lots of other options to use on track or on the road too. Top Gear have done a podcast about it this week so I'll have a listen and watch some of the YouTube stuff later.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Ascender wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:45 am It's a properly bonkers, one-of-a-kind hypercar which can only be a good thing?
Hypercar in the P1, LaFa, 918 sense? Or the shambolic new Lemans regs, or something in between?

Were those old road going modified Dauer 962s Hypercars?

Performance wise undoubtedly, but at some point you've inflicted so many compromises on the driver and passenger is there any point left?

I sure as hell want to see the Valkyrie smash the Nurburgring road car record to pieces though. 8-)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

RobYob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:53 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:45 am It's a properly bonkers, one-of-a-kind hypercar which can only be a good thing?
Hypercar in the P1, LaFa, 918 sense? Or the shambolic new Lemans regs, or something in between?

Were those old road going modified Dauer 962s Hypercars?

Performance wise undoubtedly, but at some point you've inflicted so many compromises on the driver and passenger is there any point left?

I sure as hell want to see the Valkyrie smash the Nurburgring road car record to pieces though. 8-)
I did have that same thought when listening and watching Harris' review & podcast....
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

RobYob wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:53 am Were those old road going modified Dauer 962s Hypercars?

I agree with Rob. Sure it's *technically* a road car but in any practical sense it isn't. It may as well be one of those Dauers for the amount of actual road use they'll get.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany

Post by Beany »

Sounds like it's ludicrously compromised on the road, but it's not good enough on track to forgive it for/justify that?
SSO

Post by SSO »

mik wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:51 pm Just finished watching the Harris video. Enjoyed it, but my questions remain.

Who TF really wants a "road car" with the engine bolted directly to the tub? :? Surely you'll want out of the car for a break within even an hour of driving? @SSO - what am I missing? Even the XJR-15 wasn't directly mounted (was it?). (And come to think of it - the XJR15 probably completely debunks the point I made above - wasn't it £700k odds around 1990-ish? :oops: )

And yeah the contrast between the multi-layered external music, and the internal... well it's probably unfair to call it "noise", but it isn't exactly a melody is stark. And not in a good way. :geek:
XJR-15 wasn't bolted directly but after about an hour, you definitely wanted a break. F50 was a direct bolt and 2 hours was about the max you could do without serious brain damage.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Beany wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:57 pm Sounds like it's ludicrously compromised on the road, but it's not good enough on track to forgive it for/justify that?
That about sums it up