2022 review / 2023 plans

zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Re: 2022 review / 2023 plans

Post by zx6rkiller »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:03 pm That’s 5 of us so far; any other half centuries this year?
Make that 6, 50 in May.
Really looking forward to it....grrrr
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

My entire family wear glasses, I don't.

It's only a matter of time before I join the club 😂

PS - I'm 45 with no kids, so get to pretend I'm a bit younger than I really am
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

My vision deteriorated suddenly last month, I can't read a thing now! I've got some variofocals but I can't get away with them so I'm going to have to get some reading glasses.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I had considered laser eye surgery, but it scares me shitless and I wouldn't want to have to spend all that money, only to end up needing reading glasses in a few years time.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:23 am My eyes are still in good working order amazingly after a lifetime looking at computer screens.
I got to 47 with hawk-like eyesight, and then had to throw in the towel and get some (very weak but necessary) reading glasses. My distance vision is still good without any correction.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Delphi wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:42 pm I had considered laser eye surgery, but it scares me shitless and I wouldn't want to have to spend all that money, only to end up needing reading glasses in a few years time.
I'd have surgery tomorrow but my prescription is so complex it'd be £8k.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I wear glasses with a reasonably weak prescription- my issue is I’m long sighted but longer in one eye than the other so the specs are just to balance my sight out more than anything. I have an astigmatism in one eye which has a lot to do with this I believe.

As for age I’m 37 this year, but I think my knees and back are due to turn much older

As for laser surgery my sister had it done. Wears glasses again now
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

You won't find many eye surgeons that have had the laser treatment. The guy that did my mum's cataracts wore glasses and she asked him about it as my dad's considered it. His response was that he wouldn't have it done...
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:18 pm
Delphi wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:42 pm I had considered laser eye surgery, but it scares me shitless and I wouldn't want to have to spend all that money, only to end up needing reading glasses in a few years time.
I'd have surgery tomorrow but my prescription is so complex it'd be £8k.
My eyes are -6.75 and -6.00 and I reckon surgery would be £5-6K
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 am
Work has been a bit shite, after the change in ownership in 2020 and a rough year I'm questioning whether I still want to be there. I'd mentioned this briefly in another thread earlier in the year and if anything it's gotten worse. I applied for a couple of things but I'm not really sure what I want to do. Going to update my cv and maybe start using linkedin?
Update on this, last week the company folded my dept, made everyone but me redundant and gave me a new job title with a 14% raise. This means that my salary has practically doubled since I started with the company 8 years ago. Whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth though so I'm still thinking about what else I want to do.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:34 pm
Work has been a bit shite, after the change in ownership in 2020 and a rough year I'm questioning whether I still want to be there. I'd mentioned this briefly in another thread earlier in the year and if anything it's gotten worse. I applied for a couple of things but I'm not really sure what I want to do. Going to update my cv and maybe start using linkedin?
Update on this, last week the company folded my dept, made everyone but me redundant and gave me a new job title with a 14% raise. This means that my salary has practically doubled since I started with the company 8 years ago. Whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth though so I'm still thinking about what else I want to do.
Well at least you can enjoy the extra cash while you're deciding what you want to do! :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, 7it's just the rest of the raise I asked for last year but it'll come in handy :lol:
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I've got to be the other side of that one, on Monday I'm heading up to our northern office to make 2 people redundant. They're both really good guys too, but the office as a whole up there just isn't profitable, so we've got to close it.

I'm ok with it, they're not stupid and can see there's no work coming into that office so I expect they've been looking elsewhere, but it's still not going to be particularly nice as I like them both.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:34 pm
You're one of us now, bought and paid for :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:01 pm I've got to be the other side of that one, on Monday I'm heading up to our northern office to make 2 people redundant. They're both really good guys too, but the office as a whole up there just isn't profitable, so we've got to close it.

I'm ok with it, they're not stupid and can see there's no work coming into that office so I expect they've been looking elsewhere, but it's still not going to be particularly nice as I like them both.
That doesnt sound like a nice task tbf
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:42 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:01 pm I've got to be the other side of that one, on Monday I'm heading up to our northern office to make 2 people redundant. They're both really good guys too, but the office as a whole up there just isn't profitable, so we've got to close it.

That doesnt sound like a nice task tbf
my task has lightened a fair bit, I got a call from one of them on Friday basically asking if he should hand in his notice or hang on. I told him to hold on til Monday and it was pretty much understood.

They'll both get PILON, so a months (tax free?) pay, then my boss has approved all their future commission on their projects (we pay out comms at the end of the project), so they'll be walking away with significant sums (and hopefully the goodwill and reassurance that it was a necessary business decision rather than a reflection on their ability or a money grabbing exercise).
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

2022 - health issues
2023 - Keep on top of health issues
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

An old work colleague of my other half had a minor stroke at Christmas aged 46 due mainly to genetic predisposition to hypertension (both parents and one grand parent died young of heart issues)

It was a real wake up call that I’m kidding myself if I think I can get mine under control myself through health and exercise. I eat well and am relatively active for a 48 year old but it’s just not working or working quickly enough.

So started Ramipril and Statins (Lipitor) about 6 weeks ago. Thankfully no side effects but remembering to take them is a problem. My other half said I’d have constantly pregnant if so was female…😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

After a good 5 years of pain and general “Broken” feeling I went all out on trying to fix it these past 18 months.

Diet changes made things worse till the meat thing.

Vitamin D injection, B12 injection and the NHS basically being pretty crap for mens health issues mean that I’ve gone elsewhere.

So 5 weeks of physio have doubled my neck and shoulder mobility which fell off a cliff once I stopped training. Then I start TRT when I get back from this next job as apparently my testosterone is that of a 95 year old. 3 blood tests to confirm.

So if you are hairy, have the sex drive of an 18 year old and can hang a wet duffel coat off your morning wood, it doesn’t mean your body is full of vital testosterone.

Dave!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I can't remember what my 2022 plans were, but this year's plans have changed as I've been offered redundancy and taken it. Taking a month or two off, then find a job.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away