Replacement suggestions

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Replacement suggestions

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I guess I should provide the obligatory answer of a Skoda Superb. Although if you can get an F31 330/335/340i in budget I'd be looking at one of those.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

16vCento wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:03 am
dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:50 am
16vCento wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:19 pm Saloon boot is massive, and have a roof box and roof bars for when the dog comes with us.
You cruel bastard!!! ;) :lol:
The dog's waterproof, she goes on top of the box :lol:
Under a tarp…😂
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Superb is a good shout. Amount of legroom in the back is amazing for the size of it.

And the boot is huge even on the hatchback.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:32 am
Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:25 pm Don’t buy a diesel, they’re shit with all the additional emissions problems, filters, are worse than their petrol equivalents and you have to pay more to fill them.
Ignore Mito - he lives in London so ULEZ is all he cares about. For those of us who drive more than 2 miles a day and use faster roads, they're still the sensible choice. Might cost more to fill up but the better economy still makes them cheaper to run. Joe Achilles did a direct comparison between an M340d and M340i on Youtube last week; economy was 30% better in the diesel and performance wasn't vastly different. The 15% price difference between petrol and diesel is more than offset.

Anyway, my suggestion is either a non-sunroof E350 CDI estate (or E350 petrol if you want but they're rare) - or a CLS 350 CDI shooting brake. CLS shooting brakes don't have the panoramic roof as an option; there was an optional normal sunroof but they're relatively rarely specced. So they should be pretty safe from the same issue.
he's already said he works from home and his wife works locally. Diesel would be crap for that.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:57 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:25 pm Don’t buy a diesel, they’re shit with all the additional emissions problems, filters, are worse than their petrol equivalents and you have to pay more to fill them.
Ignore Mito - he lives in London so ULEZ is all he cares about. For those of us who drive more than 2 miles a day and use faster roads, they're still the sensible choice. Might cost more to fill up but the better economy still makes them cheaper to run. Joe Achilles did a direct comparison between an M340d and M340i on Youtube last week; economy was 30% better in the diesel and performance wasn't vastly different. The 15% price difference between petrol and diesel is more than offset.

Anyway, my suggestion is either a non-sunroof E350 CDI estate (or E350 petrol if you want but they're rare) - or a CLS 350 CDI shooting brake. CLS shooting brakes don't have the panoramic roof as an option; there was an optional normal sunroof but they're relatively rarely specced. So they should be pretty safe from the same issue.
he's already said he works from home and his wife works locally. Diesel would be crap for that.
And yet you were the one suggesting non-ULEZ compliant cars which are... mostly diesels :lol:

Working from home is a pretty good use case for a diesel. You don't then use it for short commutes every day. Longer journeys towing a caravan, seems sensible.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:13 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:57 pm

And yet you were the one suggesting non-ULEZ compliant cars which are... mostly diesels :lol:

Working from home is a pretty good use case for a diesel. You don't then use it for short commutes every day. Longer journeys towing a caravan, seems sensible.
Read the thread, he said about the WFH/low miles in response to me enquiring about ULEZ and diesels.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:19 pm Read the thread, he said about the WFH/low miles in response to me enquiring about ULEZ and diesels.
Are you new here? :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:19 pm Read the thread, he said about the WFH/low miles in response to me enquiring about ULEZ and diesels.
i thought you were a law monger!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Jobbo wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm
i thought you were a law monger!
Yes, I'm Sheriff John Bunnell. And so is my wife.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Golf R owners. Am I correct in thinking the manuel was a big no no due to power? Were they really able to average mid 30s?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:57 am Golf R owners. Am I correct in thinking the manuel was a big no no due to power? Were they really able to average mid 30s?
why would a manual be a no for power?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:16 am
Gavin wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:57 am Golf R owners. Am I correct in thinking the manuel was a big no no due to power? Were they really able to average mid 30s?
why would a manual be a no for power?
I thought it had a crappy clutch?
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

A Caterham perhaps? (An Atom would be too impractical). ;)