Replacement suggestions

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Replacement suggestions

Post by Gavin »

The Merc is borked, or will be very soon so I need to get something to replace it.

So will need to trade the Merc in against something, I thought maybe a petrol VRS Octavia, wagon or even hb but they seem scarce or almost £20k.

I would also like an S4 Avant but again seem to jump from nice 2011 ish for £13kish to high teens early twenties.

I am hoping to trade the Merc in for £4k (no idea if that is realistic mind you) and worst case I can bung another £8k in cash and a small finance if absolutely necessary.

Anyone think of anything? Golf estate sized or bigger I guess, would need to be able to fit a tow bar for bike rack and possibly tow the caravan.

Is a 320D estate any use? 330D and 335D are apparently unreliable
KevH18

Re: Replacement suggestions

Post by KevH18 »

Jag XF estate? There's some diesel S models for around 12 grand if you're after something with decent power.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

KevH18 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:53 pm Jag XF estate? There's some diesel S models for around 12 grand if you're after something with decent power.
Jags get a pasting on here for reliability? or I would be seriously tempted as they are lovely. As long as they have the 6 cylinder
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

My XF hasn't been bad at all. In fact, it's broken less than the S60 I had before.

Saloon boot is massive, and have a roof box and roof bars for when the dog comes with us.

Engine itself has been faultless, it had a replacement intercooler and exhaust manifold crossover pipe which are the only real common issues on the 3.0D (both under warranty), had some suspension bits which anything could need (77k miles now).

I'd have another, only getting rid of mine because of company car incoming.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ooo, that is interesting. I thought I had read they were horrendous. I do like the XF estate a lot, cracking looking car.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Do you need it to be ULEZ compliant? Could be some good deals on cars that aren't.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:13 pm
KevH18 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:53 pm Jag XF estate? There's some diesel S models for around 12 grand if you're after something with decent power.
Jags get a pasting on here for reliability? or I would be seriously tempted as they are lovely. As long as they have the 6 cylinder
I can let you have an XJ6 for a very reasonable sum. Some of it even works!
Banal Vapid Platitudes
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:13 pm
I was going to buy one of these as our next car until I got my EV through work last year.

Just make sure it's got the slimmer steering wheel as from 2017 onwards they brought in a load of changes to the driving experience and refinement, and the steering wheel and heated wheel were the only give aways.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Those 2.2d Mazdas are about as reliable as JLR Ingenium engines :lol:

I wouldn't have one given!

Get a petrol if you get a Mazda.

I've been looking at 2018 ish Octavia VRS 4x4 or Octavia Scout Estates to replace our V60, they seem like decent cars.

Only real issues seem to be EGR Coolers failing, which is a ballache of a job, and water ingress into the boot from various sources, so pretty good by modern standards.

EDIT: Also our V60 has been outstanding, thrown loads of miles on it, mainly driven by my wife though the week, who has no mechanical sympathy whatsoever. Might be a bit small size wise though.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:22 pm ooo, that is interesting. I thought I had read they were horrendous. I do like the XF estate a lot, cracking looking car.
Purely based on my experience with the XE I’d never have another Jag.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:22 pm Do you need it to be ULEZ compliant? Could be some good deals on cars that aren't.
It would probably be handy as we are regular visitors to Hull, Edinburgh and Aberdeen all who have zones coming in at some point soon, certainly within what I expect to be the lifespan of the car.

Probably not worth gong diesel, I work from home 4 days a week and my office is only 6 miles away and my wife works in the same town so not doing big miles annually and I believe petrols are largely ULEZ compliant
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I can't imagine that the 6cyl diesel BMW engines are less reliable than the 4ctl. Typically goes the other way around.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

In related news - My missus is currently waiting for the AA in Reading - her F31 320d wont start... hopefully it'll be an easy fix (and/or that I'll be able to get it to the garage tomorrow! 😬)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 pm I can't imagine that the 6cyl diesel BMW engines are less reliable than the 4ctl. Typically goes the other way around.
This might be related to the takes of police forces having BMW td's lunching themselves - but given their use case is start from cold, 30 mins of idling, then full launch with blues and twos several times a day, I think it's fair to say they might not be the best examples.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Don’t buy a diesel, they’re shit with all the additional emissions problems, filters, are worse than their petrol equivalents and you have to pay more to fill them.
How about not having a sig at all?
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Yeah, am pretty sure it will be petrol this time. Gently explaining why a Golf R wagon or Octavia VRS or S$ Avant is a "good thing"
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:25 pm Don’t buy a diesel, they’re shit with all the additional emissions problems, filters, are worse than their petrol equivalents and you have to pay more to fill them.
Ignore Mito - he lives in London so ULEZ is all he cares about. For those of us who drive more than 2 miles a day and use faster roads, they're still the sensible choice. Might cost more to fill up but the better economy still makes them cheaper to run. Joe Achilles did a direct comparison between an M340d and M340i on Youtube last week; economy was 30% better in the diesel and performance wasn't vastly different. The 15% price difference between petrol and diesel is more than offset.

Anyway, my suggestion is either a non-sunroof E350 CDI estate (or E350 petrol if you want but they're rare) - or a CLS 350 CDI shooting brake. CLS shooting brakes don't have the panoramic roof as an option; there was an optional normal sunroof but they're relatively rarely specced. So they should be pretty safe from the same issue.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

16vCento wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:19 pm Saloon boot is massive, and have a roof box and roof bars for when the dog comes with us.
You cruel bastard!!! ;) :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:50 am
16vCento wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:19 pm Saloon boot is massive, and have a roof box and roof bars for when the dog comes with us.
You cruel bastard!!! ;) :lol:
The dog's waterproof, she goes on top of the box :lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavin wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:38 pm Anyone think of anything? Golf estate sized or bigger I guess, would need to be able to fit a tow bar for bike rack and possibly tow the caravan.
ML or GL 350 ? Same engine I assume, and even better for pulling the caravan.

And yes, some permutation of "big 4x4" and "towing" is my answer to everything :D