Tax return time

nuttinnew

Re: Tax return time

Post by nuttinnew »

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Tax needn't be taxing. Bugger off. It quite often is!

I got pumped for child benefit in 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19 as like many, I was unaware of the threshold. I then have to do 3 or 4 years of self assessment (backdated). Wife cancelled child benefit in Feb 2019.

This week I got a letter stating that I owed them just over £1k for CB in the tax year 19/20. Spent ages on hold then talking to a fuckwit who eventually understood that I didn't owe it but still need to get a letter of proof of cancellation from the CB office even though he could see when it was cancelled.

While in my online tax portal I noticed that I had been requested to do a self assessment and that it was due on the 31st Jan. Another hour on hold and I luckily ended up with someone who was both knowledgeable and helpful. They could see that I didn't need to do one and cancelled it thankfully.

It really is shit dealing with anything to do with tax and it's a bloody lottery with the quality of staff and info when you call too. Hate it!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've been looking at the online application thing for business mileage tax relief. It's got a limitation of £2.5k before you have to self assess. Mine is coming in at around £3k for 21/22 tax year. Question is, can you under claim to bring you under the threshold?

If I want to do a self assessment it seems like you get a load of penalties for assessing a previous TY, which presumably would wipe out any benefit to bothering.

Maybe it's too much hassle for the small amount I'd be due. :?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I doubt anyone's going to check that you've claimed slightly less mileage than you might have done...
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Since quitting contracting, filling in HMRC forms is certainly not something I miss.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Today has been a good day for taxes, I had to pay just short of £2k when I did my self assessment, but I realised that I might have some tax relief due from a previous years pension payments. I spoke to HMRC and they basically dictated a letter that I needed to write and send (it couldn't be done over the phone because the overall figure was £80 over the threshold :roll: ). Anyway, long story short, I got an email about a £2,250 refund today.

Which was nice.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:00 am Today has been a good day for taxes, I had to pay just short of £2k when I did my self assessment, but I realised that I might have some tax relief due from a previous years pension payments. I spoke to HMRC and they basically dictated a letter that I needed to write and send (it couldn't be done over the phone because the overall figure was £80 over the threshold :roll: ). Anyway, long story short, I got an email about a £2,250 refund today.

Which was nice.
Result!

So how are you going to sensibly invest/frivolously waste that?
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Knowing HMRC, they'll want 3/4 of it back next year Rich
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:17 am Knowing HMRC, they'll want 3/4 of it back next year Rich
This!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:00 am Today has been a good day for taxes, I had to pay just short of £2k when I did my self assessment, but I realised that I might have some tax relief due from a previous years pension payments. I spoke to HMRC and they basically dictated a letter that I needed to write and send (it couldn't be done over the phone because the overall figure was £80 over the threshold :roll: ). Anyway, long story short, I got an email about a £2,250 refund today.

Which was nice.
Result!

Straight into ethereum. We all know Rich loves crypto
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:02 am

Which was nice.
Result!

I'll be a millionaire by the end of the week!!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

:twisted:
Rich B wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:10 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:02 am

Result!

I'll be a millionaire by the end of the week!!
Do it!
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I do not miss this shit. Glad I'm out.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Ah, it's my quarterly letter from HMRC about the VAT I don't owe them and they haven't been able to allocate to my account. Guess it's time for my quarterly hour long telephone call back to them to let them know what they've not done.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:58 pm Image

Pretty damning.
Where did all the Chinese go? I appreciate that there's data missing but the graphic makes it seem like they're all just vanishing. Or in the case of Russia, falling out of windows.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 am Ah, it's my quarterly letter from HMRC about the VAT I don't owe them and they haven't been able to allocate to my account. Guess it's time for my quarterly hour long telephone call back to them to let them know what they've not done.
And here's the inevitable "we're passing this to a debt recovery agency" letter. Sigh....
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:20 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 am Ah, it's my quarterly letter from HMRC about the VAT I don't owe them and they haven't been able to allocate to my account. Guess it's time for my quarterly hour long telephone call back to them to let them know what they've not done.
And here's the inevitable "we're passing this to a debt recovery agency" letter. Sigh....
I'm pretty sure you can bill them for your wasted time and anguish.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:20 pm
Oh Jesus :shock: