The amount of crap dumped on roads

Mito Man

The amount of crap dumped on roads

Post by Mito Man »

What the feck is wrong with people? You’d think it would get better but whenever you drive a bit slower at this time of year, and notice the massive amount of shit piled up beside the motorway verges and in the hedges. Fucking disgusting and definitely seems to be a domestic issue when you drive around the rest of Europe and barely notice it. Come back here and it’s like those YouTube videos of Ghana with those kids burning plastic to pull the metal from it. There’s less debris around an aircraft crash scene than some of the slip rounds here…
Not sure the solution is the ban of single use plastics, I’d put shotguns up on the motorway gantries and well you know the rest.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Re: The amount of crap dumped on roads

Post by jamcg »

Try living in a Victorian terrace with old school back alleys. More rubbish than the local landfill
mik

Post by mik »

I go out every couple of weeks with a litter picker to clear a few hundred metres of verges near us. Nothing official (but I did get the council to give me some branded bags that I can drop at an agreed location without filling up my own bins).

Astonishes me that people just toss cans, McDonald’s, glass bottles, part-filled plastic bottles, fags (although when I smoked I am ashamed to say I tossed my fag ends out of the window too). Just animals.

Also regularly find screws or bits of metal that would easily cause punctures.

My uncle was over from Germany recently and we were discussing litter, and how Germans just don’t - he said (with some frustration) that it is getting worse as many of the immigrants don’t have this behaviour ingrained (and he says this as an immigrant himself).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The most surprising thing is the sheer number of beer cans/bottles, and somehow I doubt it’s all from passengers or pedestrians. Well it can’t be pedestrians on motorways…
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

My road is one of the local fly-tipping hotspots, people dump rubbish, matresses, fridges, all kinds of junk on the corner at the end of the street. Despite it being an economic/cultural/educational issue, the council are good, they have an app to report it and always clear it within 24 hours.

When I had a bunch of junk to clear out, I was discussing getting a van to go to the tip. My lodger innocently said “why don’t you put it out on the corner for collection?”.
He genuinely thought it was part of the standard council waste collection service 🙃
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

I find it’s very regional -
Where my parents are in South Leicestershire there’s very little, but NE Leics is pretty bad.
In Cornwall where our holiday let is you only notice it during the summer season (along with graffiti which has now occurred in the village two summers in a row, having never happened before according to the older residents).

On the graffiti side are other towns like London since the first lockdown? It’s poor quality and everywhere now, including on the front of our building, which hasn’t happened in the 22 years I’ve lived here, and SE1 was a far poorer area back then.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

On the subject of graffiti, local press is kicking off because a graffiti artist has painted this

On this

Yes it’s grade 2 listed, maybe you shouldn’t spray on it. But I find it hilarious that people are offended by something that can be classed as art, yet this has caused more offence than the graffiti of chavy chav woz ere and stuff calling people nonces
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We've got worse I reckon. The country permanently looks like a tip, most places you go.

If we ever move abroad it will be one of the reasons we do so
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

I’m just down the road from Hackney Wick where there literally is no more space for graffiti 😂 (although this place has now been refurbed)

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s this low level crime the police should concentrate on.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Easier to stand at the side of a road with a laser though.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

When even the bin men can't collect people's shit without leaving half of it strewn down the road then there not much hope for everyone else.

It got worse when councils started charging for tipping of business waste, which has just resulted in scammers tipping wherever they can get away with it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The councils have started charging for tipping many types of domestic waste too. And why do we still have to book an appointment weeks in advance? Covid finished a long time ago… The bins get emptied half as frequently.
I don’t know where the council tax which they keep raising goes… homelessness is worse, more potholes, more rubbish.
Corruption or what?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:07 pm The councils have started charging for tipping many types of domestic waste too. And why do we still have to book an appointment weeks in advance? Covid finished a long time ago… The bins get emptied half as frequently.
I don’t know where the council tax which they keep raising goes… homelessness is worse, more potholes, more rubbish.
Corruption or what?
IIRC a fair chunk of funding came from central govt, that's been pinned waaay back thanks to austerity, which means council tax bills rising to cover the lack of central funding but services not improving.

Correct me if I'm wrong etc.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Scarily, Peterborough tip and South Kesteven council seem to be doing a great job.

A recently refurbished undercover tip and put bin collections are always good and done properly, no rubbish left etc.

Dave!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Our council (Stockton on Tees) don’t charge for anything other than large collections for sofas etc.

The tip is great, the appointment system is the best thing to ever happen to ours, you can generally get same day ones too, bank holidays are probably the only exception

We still have a single bin as all out rubbish goes to the energy from waste plant- as a result recycling is seen as voluntary but most still do it

Others in our surrounding area do have the multiple bin thing and forced recycling but their waste goes to landfill (despite our waste plant taking rubbish from Northumberland and another local one takes from Liverpool)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah I don't mind the Appointments system - it's quick and easy and, as you say, same day is now normally available. It used to be carnage at the main MK tip - sometimes with queueing times of 30 to 40 mins backing out out onto a main road but all that's gone.

As I live on the outskirts of Milton Keynes, we're 1/4 mile from open countryside so Fly tipping is a significant issue - same spots, same shit
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:36 pm My uncle was over from Germany recently and we were discussing litter, and how Germans just don’t - he said (with some frustration) that it is getting worse as many of the immigrants don’t have this behaviour ingrained (and he says this as an immigrant himself).
:cry: :evil: It's a mentality exhibited by scum over here also, and something I'll never understand; why go somewhere because it's nice just to fvck it up? <seethe, pent-up rant, itchy stabbing hand>
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

jamcg wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:02 am Our council (Stockton on Tees) don’t charge for anything other than large collections for sofas etc.

The tip is great, the appointment system is the best thing to ever happen to ours, you can generally get same day ones too, bank holidays are probably the only exception

We still have a single bin as all out rubbish goes to the energy from waste plant- as a result recycling is seen as voluntary but most still do it

Others in our surrounding area do have the multiple bin thing and forced recycling but their waste goes to landfill (despite our waste plant taking rubbish from Northumberland and another local one takes from Liverpool)
Your waste will be sorted and segregated - it won't all go to EfW at all.

And minimal waste will be going to landfill. Hardly any waste goes to landfill these days as the cost is too high and there's virtually no capacity.