The Movie Thread

RobYob

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by RobYob »

Puss in boots, last wish well, an absolute suprise and a wonderful one at that. Best animation and art direction since Into the Spiderverse.

The baddy is so well done quite a few of the littlelies in the cinema were in tears.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:12 am Watched Jordan Peele's Nope which has also had some really mixed reviews and I loved it. I enjoyed it even more the second time round as you pick up on all the little hints along the way of what's going on and what things mean.
Watched Nope last night. (Rented via YouTube - first time I have done that).

It certainly wasn’t a bad film, but I had set my expected levels of “tension” pretty high following Get Out (which I think is a fabulous film) and it failed to live up to that.

7 what the fuck is that out of 10’for me.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Banshees of inisherin

Firstly, I'm a massive fan of in Bruges, so I went in wanting to like it. And overall I did. It's pretty far from a mainstream movie, but it is beautifully acted and filmed. The pace was slow, but not slow like a shit superhero film that doesn't have a good enough plot, slow like the lifestyle it's portraying. It is massively awkward and even a little depressing to watch.

Not for everyone, and I can't see myself rewatching it like in bruge, but I liked it.
tim

Post by tim »

I went to see this at the cinema, I really enjoyed it.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Everything Everywhere all at once batshit crazy but really good. Astoundingly the Mrs absolutely loved it and laughed more than I did.

Dune 1984 it is legendarily bad but curiousity got the better of me. It really is a new benchmark of terrible in so mamy ways and now I'm curious as to just how the hell it happened.

Patrick Stewart has not had hair for a very very long time.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The Menu on Disney+ is a brilliant watch. A small group of people go to dine at a hyper-exclusive restaurant and stuff happens. To say any more would spoil it. I wouldn't even watch the trailer actually, just go in cold and enjoy as it unfolds.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:06 pm The Menu on Disney+ is a brilliant watch. A small group of people go to dine at a hyper-exclusive restaurant and stuff happens. To say any more would spoil it. I wouldn't even watch the trailer actually, just go in cold and enjoy as it unfolds.
Amazing movie and an early front runner for my movie of the year. As above, I went in cold and was blown away by the way it built tension. I also laughed at the Chef's Table style foodie shots for every course.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Aftersun
A coming of age film looking back at an 11 year-old Scottish girl's holiday in Turkey with her estranged father, at the same time as his 31st birthday.

It's one of those slow-paced art-style films that's shot with unusual angles and long silences to unpick the emotions that exist behind the father/daughter relationship, especially her evolution from a child into sexuality, through the medium of film. Surprisingly emotive by the end, although I was a little confused at the same time.

7/10
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:06 pm The Menu on Disney+ is a brilliant watch. A small group of people go to dine at a hyper-exclusive restaurant and stuff happens. To say any more would spoil it. I wouldn't even watch the trailer actually, just go in cold and enjoy as it unfolds.
Sounds good, I'll put it on the list!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

tim wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:32 pm Went to see Elvis on Saturday - really very good indeed. Superb performances from everyone.

9 hip wiggles out of a possible 10.
This… all of this.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
tim

Post by tim »

Gavster wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:29 am
Sounds good, I'll put it on the list!
Well that was a treat! And I'm not just talking about Anya Taylor-Joy <3
mik

Post by mik »

The Father

Has this been mentioned before?

I thoroughly enjoyed that. 8-)

Hopkins was brilliant. Has he ever been otherwise in anything? :?

Olivia Coleman good too.

But the structure and direction was just fabulous. Managing to create the view from the point of the old man - his confusion was palpable. Masterful.

9.5 hang on - has someone mentioned this before? @JLv3.0 nevwr comes to visit any more. :cry: . Has someone moved my watch?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Thanks for the reminder about The Father @mik, I totally forgot all about this one - I'd meant to watch it a while ago. Did it come out around the same time as the Stanley Tucci one which covered the same sort of topic?

We watched Megan/MI3gan and its great fun for all the family. Very timely given where we are with AI and machine learning and it's a fresh take on something which we've kind of seen done before. Dark humour and some funny dialogue, plus a very stylish and unnerving child doll thing. Really good and only 100 minutes, so it fairly zips along.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Utterly batshit. But somehow it all sorts of makes sense by the end and comes together. There were moments in the first half I genuinely wondered wtf was going on but I decided to carry on drinking and just see what happened. The Mrs came home after an all day drinking sesh, at about halfway through and wondered wtf I was watching :lol:

Will definitely watch again. 10 "no way - Data/Short Round still sounds the same as a middle aged man!" out of 10
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Brian and Charles

A toned down Brian Gittins from Derek/ Afterlife builds a shit robot. Funny and charming. Deserves every accolade thrown its way.

9 out of 10 cabbages
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Moonage Daydream

Aboslutely the best documentary film about Bowie as an artist - distinct from Bowie the musician - although there's obviously a lot of music in it. It supports my perspective that Bowie was fundamentally an artist whose success happened to manifest in music, despite all the other media he worked in.

The narrative is cleverly created through audio of his own words from interviews and archive footage, it's a fresh perspective on his life that explores his philosophy and personal motives as an artist. There's a huge amount about his creative process and would be inspirational for anyone pursuing any kind of creative or artistic practice. It's probably the most holistic account of Bowie’s work, also shows his disregard for fame and his intense focus on process and work instead. The whole thing is a bit trippy too, with loads of rare footage.

I'm a massive Bowie fanboy, but it's genuinely a great documentary, which will definitely stand up to multiple watches to unpick some of Bowie's philosophical ramblings that are laced through the music.

10 out of 10 gitanes
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Never managed to see it at the cinema but Jojo Rabbit is on Channel 4 at the weekend.
mik

Post by mik »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 pm Never managed to see it at the cinema but Jojo Rabbit is on Channel 4 at the weekend.
Just watched this on DisneyPlus. I too missed it in the cinema - despite plans - it was even more than I’d hoped for. No you are laughing. And it’s definitely you that’s crying. Fabulous. 8-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Tried to watch Black Panther 2 the other night, got about half way through and I have no urge to finish. They were in a tough position with this movie but it definitely feels like the MCU is losing momentum.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

It will be interesting to see how Antman 3 and GotG3 do. Tbf, after 20yrs of superhero films dominating the big screen, culminating in a big ending, it's to be expected that the genre's heyday may be over for a while.