Your fleet running reports

integrale_evo

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by integrale_evo »

I may have had a similar issue once which turned out to be the cigar lighter which I’d removed to plug something else in and was sat in the gear gaitor stopping the lever moving forward :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I managed to crack a corner of the screen on my old work phone in the area in front of the gearstick in the M2 when I first got it. I put the phone in the gap, but longwise instead of sideways and put the car in reverse. it crushed the phone into the centre console with enough force to break the screen. Doh!
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm done similar, when I went to change gear there was an odd rattling sound....

....of my phone, hanging off the USB lead which was wrapped around the gear lever, which I hadn't noticed when I plugged it in.

Whoops :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

I changed the gearbox on my Mk3 Mondeo many moons ago. Whilst it was off I naturally changed the clutch, release bearing and slave cylinder too.

After I put it back together the clutch pedal was all unusually light (I was easily moving it with my hand in the footwell). so I spent a long time diagnosing what was wrong, only to discover that that's exactly how the clutch is supposed to be when everything to do with it is new.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Matty wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:36 pm Driving home in the Up late on Friday, as I got upto speed I wasn't able to select 5th or 6th gear, with lots of resitance...thining "oh fuck" I slowed a bit, went into 3rd, then tried to get 4th and that felt difficult too.

Panicking, I pulled over, looked down....and it turns out as I'd thrown my laptop into the footwell in a rush, I'd got the shoulder strap caught around the gear lever stopping me moving across into the higher gears :oops: :oops: :lol:
Wife used to do that very regularly with her handbag. I got used to getting in the car and unhooking it for her before the inevitable.

Not been so much of an issue since having autos mind
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

John wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:01 am
Broccers wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 am
@John Adria Coral Plus 670 DC Fiat Ducato. Wow they look amazing. Going anywhere good?
We had a night at Chatsworth over the weekend just to test everything out. Future trips will no doubt include Cornwall :D
France? I would love to have a decent motorhome, live and work out of it. Unforts my o h has to go to a work place.

Boxster has been doing van duties today, only to Leicester instead of all the way to London. I had forgotten how much I hate driving in rush hour. 10 min journey is 40. M1 was ok tho, glad its no longer 50 as they've finished the death trap smart motorway. One broken down van was a sitting duck. Horrifying really. No lights, warning, nothing. :shock:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Having a whale of a time today. Booked the 6 series in for MOT this morning and as I turn it on the engine light turns on. This isn’t unexpected as it usually does it once every few months - I just plug my code reader in and erase the trouble code and it’s good again. Except this time the fucker turns back on each time after I turn the car on. No bueno.

The most stupid thing about the code is that it’s on about some exhaust flap which is something only the 7 series had - so really it needs coding out.

So then I go for an Italian tune up and put some fresh fuel in because desperate. Pull into the MOT carpark and reset again. Cross my fingers and toes and I’m now at the praying to baby Jesus point.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm
I had forgotten how much I hate driving in rush hour. 10 min journey is 40.
Discovered a few months back that with the E-tron - set the adaptive cruise to 50mph (or any random high speed), and set the distance you want. The car will then stop in traffic, trundle along whenever the car in front moves, come to a stop again when they stop. No issues if the car in front slows gently or brakes hard ~ you can just let the car do its thing. Removes a surprising amount of stress/pain.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Passed with flying colours :lol:
Told the MOT chap about the check engine light which just came on. He plugs in his fancy iPad style code reader and says “it’s on about some exhaust flap”. He then also notes that this car doesn’t have one, clears it and runs the test. Passed. Now I have a year to code this out.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 am
Discovered a few months back that with the E-tron - set the adaptive cruise to 50mph (or any random high speed), and set the distance you want. The car will then stop in traffic, trundle along whenever the car in front moves, come to a stop again when they stop. No issues if the car in front slows gently or brakes hard ~ you can just let the car do its thing. Removes a surprising amount of stress/pain.
Brilliant system. The golf did this very well. My antique does have basic cruise which after having the better version is total rubbish.

Speaking of old bangers Porsche Sheffield has included 997 / 987s in its classic offering where;

We would like to invite you to our exclusive event here at Porsche Centre Sheffield on 29 January 2023 to join the Porsche Classic Register.

All eligible owners of a Porsche Classic are invited to join the Porsche Classic Register, which now also includes three additional models for 2023: the 911 (997), 987 Boxster and 987 Cayman.

Designed specifically to help owners of classic Porsche models care for their cars, this exclusive two-year membership package brings with it a range of benefits including:
15% discount on Porsche Classic Genuine Parts when fitted at the Centre
One issue of Porsche Originale per membership year
A set of complimentary Porsche Classic number plate surrounds
A complimentary one-litre top-up bottle of Porsche Classic motor oil with a service
Four complimentary wash and vacuums for your Porsche
Complimentary nitrogen filling of your tyres.

Come and register for free between 10:00 and 12:00 and find out about our Classic community and drives.

If you would like to attend, please bring your V5C. There is no need to RSVP.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 am
I think the Superb does this also. I've never been brave enough to try it though in terms of a full/hard stop. :lol:

It has emergency braking as well though so I'd imagine it would try and stop anyway. It tends to do that when someone slows to turn and then fannies about. Usually when there's ample time to get round and when I've factored in the slowed rate of turn. Cue loud beeping and an emergency stop, usually only when we have a car full of people :evil:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t like that feature because in the South East everyone has a Senna go for the gap mentality. So if your car is trundling along leaving a sensible gap every car around you is going to go for it. Just get annoyed after a few minutes of that.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:02 pm I don’t like that feature because in the South East everyone has a Senna go for the gap mentality. So if your car is trundling along leaving a sensible gap every car around you is going to go for it. Just get annoyed after a few minutes of that.
Make the gap too small on the variable distance for anyone to enter it. :shock: :D
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:41 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:02 pm I don’t like that feature because in the South East everyone has a Senna go for the gap mentality. So if your car is trundling along leaving a sensible gap every car around you is going to go for it. Just get annoyed after a few minutes of that.
Make the gap too small on the variable distance for anyone to enter it. :shock: :D
even the closest setting isn't that close unfortunately....
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yup, my Merc does the stop/start thing too. As part of 'following the lane' it'll also 'latch' on to the car in front and follow them, even if out of lane (like passing parked cars for example. Very clever.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:51 pm
Broccers wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:41 pm
even the closest setting isn't that close unfortunately....
Yeah this. I don't use dynamic cruise for most of my journeys in the UK precisely because of the gapping issue. I tend to use it more in roadworks so I can set it at 56mph and sail past everyone ('til you get one of those dicks that insists on sitting in Lane 3 doing 49mph/matching the adjacent car in Lane 2).
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:15 pm
Speaking of old bangers Porsche Sheffield has included 997 / 987s in its classic offering where;

We would like to invite you to our exclusive event here at Porsche Centre Sheffield on 29 January 2023 to join the Porsche Classic Register.

All eligible owners of a Porsche Classic are invited to join the Porsche Classic Register, which now also includes three additional models for 2023: the 911 (997), 987 Boxster and 987 Cayman.

Designed specifically to help owners of classic Porsche models care for their cars, this exclusive two-year membership package brings with it a range of benefits including:
15% discount on Porsche Classic Genuine Parts when fitted at the Centre
One issue of Porsche Originale per membership year
A set of complimentary Porsche Classic number plate surrounds
A complimentary one-litre top-up bottle of Porsche Classic motor oil with a service
Four complimentary wash and vacuums for your Porsche
Complimentary nitrogen filling of your tyres.

Come and register for free between 10:00 and 12:00 and find out about our Classic community and drives.

If you would like to attend, please bring your V5C. There is no need to RSVP.
I used Porsche Cardiff for servicing my 996 as the fixed price work they did was really good value and they would often price match for additional work if needed. They were great to deal with.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

How long is too long to leave a car without starting it before you should pop the plugs etc and turn it over before starting? I can't remember exactly when I last used the A2 petrol but it was before Christmas.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

A couple of years probably.

A few months won’t be a problem.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Merc got a clean mot today, only the stepdaughters polo fail blotting the copy book recently. I think the x5 is the next one due near the end of March.

Would like to get the ‘sud done at some point if the weather improves as I never got around to it last year.
Cheers, Harry