Your fleet running reports

John

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by John »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:40 am
It's not as comfortable as the Jag but significantly faster and I have to be careful coming out of junctions as it wants to break traction on even medium throttle openings. This needs to be explored in a safe environment. A Maccys car park it probably the best place.
Be sure to put trays under the front tyres.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:10 pm I've been over tonight to have a look and its on a stretch just after a mile of massive speedbumps with a snapped engine mount and a drive shaft no longer connected to the gearbox !

I'll get it recovered to a friends garage in the morning and hope there's no further damage to gearbox :(
Verticle pin snapped in half !

Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

John wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:19 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:40 am
It's not as comfortable as the Jag but significantly faster and I have to be careful coming out of junctions as it wants to break traction on even medium throttle openings. This needs to be explored in a safe environment. A Maccys car park it probably the best place.
Be sure to put trays under the front tyres.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Carlos wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:48 pm
Carlos wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:10 pm I've been over tonight to have a look and its on a stretch just after a mile of massive speedbumps with a snapped engine mount and a drive shaft no longer connected to the gearbox !

I'll get it recovered to a friends garage in the morning and hope there's no further damage to gearbox :(
Verticle pin snapped in half !

Was she Ken Blocking it over the speedbumps?

Doesn’t look like there’s and corrosion or fretting wear. Odd one.
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

On the wife’s TT they are single use stretch bolts, I wouldn’t be surprised if the mount has been removed for a cambelt, service item of some sort and not replaced.

Or a hill Billy Ugg dugged torque wrench was used.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I have had a word with her about the enthusiastic driving !

No corrosion on any of the thread or visible weak point. Its snapped clean like a carrot :D

I've made it clear I'm not responsible for the car after this one :lol:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’d put money on it being a use only once bolt.

Dave!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255462540291 ... media=COPY

Maybe but it's not recent as there's corrosion above the nut line.

It's stiffly sprung and she drives like a maniac so not pointing fingers at anyone else !
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

From memory they’re not bolts they’re studs in the mount and not removable. At least the ones on the cam belt side are.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I reckon it's just an under specced part, it looks tiny for a bolt which is meant to hold so much weight. Looks like a twinair specific part too.
The i3 had a similar problem, BMW first started fitting stronger bolts but then the actual mounts which were made of plastic started to crack so then they made the whole thing out of aluminium and used physically bigger bolts...
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

So much weight? Twinair engine and gearbox combined probably weigh about 100kg :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Probably weights a bit more dynamically if you hit a pothole at 80 mph :lol:
It looks barely thicker than the threaded rod that connects the windscreen wiper to the motor!
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito sensor changed, very easy despite the bolts looking a bit crusty. Headlights now self level at a sensible angle instead of chugging their way down to the lowest position. Need to wait until it’s dark and see if it needs calibrating at all.

Annoyingly because mitos with xenons are so rare ( I’ve only seen a couple of others in about 10 years of paying attention to such trivial things including cars for sale, on forums and at shows ) there doesn’t seem to be an aftermarket source and I can’t find any part number cross references despite being a valeo sensor which looks identical to several others on the market.

I know I probably won’t need another for at least 10 years, but someone else might find it handy if there’s an alternative supplier.

Alfa only use the rear sensor on the mito, the front sensor is also used on the rear of the 166. I find it hard to believe that either are Alfa specific designs. It would be about a millionty times easier to just use an off the shelf sensor with a bracket to hold it in a position which worked.
Cheers, Harry
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

jamcg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:59 pm @Gwaredd are your twingo front wings metal? Mine are plastic, just intrigued if that’s a unique renaultsport thing for weight saving or not
Yes, plastic on hers too. Good luck if you need to change the clutch BTW. :x
Cheers.

Gwaredd
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Clutch handily done before I got the car, alloy with the belts and pulleys so had the big stuff
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Interesting, thanks.
Cheers,

Ian
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

IanF wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:13 pm
Interesting, thanks.
So when are you collecting the LC500 and when can I visit?
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Kona off side wiper is finished after only 11 months. No visible damage but I've tried to clean them twice and made no difference.

They're hybrid wipers so have the older hook fixing. Valeo seem to do the best ones of that type, and I hate the universal fixings as they stick up above the blade and they're always in your eye line. But Jesus Christ is it hard to find the size I needed! Off side was relatively easy but they don't do them in sets so you need to buy two separate blades. To find the near side one took me about half an hour online if I wanted to buy them both from the same place.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

For some reason, despite her being 23 and moved out, we’re still responsible for getting my step daughters polo mot’d.

On Monday It failed on a rear brake imbalance so I picked up a kit from euros on the way home and fitted a new cylinder to the affected side and a new shoe kit. What a horrible job, every spring wants to fight you the whole way through. The kit came pre-assembled but unless you take the hub off there’s no easy way to slip it on. Unfortunately the hub wouldn’t just slide off and I didn’t want to risk pulling it and ruining the bearing.

Passed on Tuesday, then as it was being driven back the rear exhaust box decided to make a bid for freedom making it sound like a banger racer.

I removed it, sleeved it, welded it and reinforced the join so it’s now good to go.

Onto the mito. It didn’t like being sat in the cold / damp over Christmas and had a rear brake bind. I freed it off and it was ok going forward but would still bind up while reversing.

The cheap shite Pagid pads had delaminated with the pad material loose from the baking plate.

I had preempted this and had some ready, with my cheap Chinese caliper wind back tool set from Amazon it took approx 10 mins a side to fit them.
Cheers, Harry