Your fleet running reports

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:31 pm Sensible choice getting rid of the M4 - did you not bother with the sensible mile muncher in the end then?
No.. on.to and hiring cars look far more effective whilst I wait for our salary sacrifice scheme to restart. Plus I get to try cars eg Tesla M3 for 3-7 days (or a month with on.to) without tying myself down. Also, can change car monthly depending on needs if I’m organised enough.. just need to improve my organisational skills! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

IanF wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:27 pm 2+2 probably all I need.. so M8, 992 or Roma all considered. Test drives booked for the new year.. any other suggestions welcome.
Some sort of Aston, Continental got?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

@Gwaredd are your twingo front wings metal? Mine are plastic, just intrigued if that’s a unique renaultsport thing for weight saving or not
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I thought the French had been using plastic wings on a lot of things for a while.
Cheers, Harry
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

That’s why I’m curious if the standard twingo has them or not. The flared wheel arch body kit on mine is mostly just stuck on apart from the front wings where they’re part of the panel
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

IanF wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:27 pm 2+2 probably all I need.. so M8,
This is the correct* answer. I'm far from a BMW fan but the 8-series looks fantastic.

*Not as correct as an LC500, but it'll do.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

A while back I did manage to successful fit the 4C into the garage. A problem occurred.

I couldn't get out. My plan to drive far enough forward to open the door through the opening into the house failed; leading to a less-than-dignified exit as I posted myself through the window. I've decided it's now too much hassle to get it out again, so I'm just going to leave it there. Residual should be good, so in a few years time I'll throw some dust on it and proclaim a "barn find" and make a YT vid about it.

V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It seems that someone has incorrectly put white goods in your garage. If you fix this issue the car will be in the correct position to open the doors.

Cars don’t belong in kitchens, so white goods don’t belong in garages.

For more Feng Shui, visit my website, GaragesForCarsOrBikes.com

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

You'll make a fortune @Matty
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

After finding a piece of spring on the drive early November I finally had time to sort it out fully- fortunately the spring broke at the end and was sitting nicely on the mounts still so car was still useable. If the piece wasn’t on the drive I’d have been none the wiser, but has still being slightly worrying using it for so long

The top mount nut was completely seized up, nothing could persuade it to come free so had to drill it out and write off the damper. All back together now, will get the other side sorted soon before it decides to snap
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My daughters Mito Twinair is now the most expensive car I've ever had to maintain spending a whopping £2,250 on tyres, big service, rad and twin air unit in 10 months.

Today I've ended a camper trip early as she abandoned it after it starting making horrible noises :shock: I've been over tonight to have a look and its on a stretch just after a mile of massive speedbumps with a snapped engine mount and a drive shaft no longer connected to the gearbox !

I'll get it recovered to a friends garage in the morning and hope there's no further damage to gearbox :(
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Reminds me of the driveshaft coming out on my Scirocco. My tuner had just done the clutch; he said it couldn’t have been connected but recovered it and fixed it anyway without charge.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Fingers crossed it's just the engine mount and the long driveshaft can be reused. The front mount has sheared and the motor has dropped 3"+ at the front and nearly hit the new rad !

I'm optimistic and my daughter loves the car so don't want another 4 figure bill :D

On the plus side Direct Line have insured her on my i3s until the renewal in August for £57 fully comp.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Finally got round to looking at my mito which decided to point the headlights at the ground.

I had to replace the front level sensor when my mum had it as the connector had corroded so badly it pulled a very corroded pin out of the sensor when I unplugged it. I had to put a new contact in the connector and a new sensor for £120ish

This time it’s the rear, unplugged it and cleaned up the connections but still not playing. New sensor is £100. A bit annoying, and kicking myself for not cleaning and sealing the connector when I fixed the front one a few years ago.

If I could get to it I’d probably have disconnected the adjustment motors inside the lights and just set them to a decent fixed position, the suspension is so firm, and it’s rarely got more than two people in it that having them self level seems a bit of an unnecessary complication.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:20 am
If I could get to it I’d probably have disconnected the adjustment motors inside the lights and just set them to a decent fixed position, the suspension is so firm, and it’s rarely got more than two people in it that having them self level seems a bit of an unnecessary complication.
Whilst I agree with you, they are a legal rev for cars with HIDs / LEDs non? (In recognition of the fact that probably 10% of drivers with conventional lighting realise what their adjustment does and why it is there, and probably only 10% of that group actually uses it properly).

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:20 am Finally got round to looking at my mito which decided to point the headlights at the ground.
A few years back I was using a specific taxi company pretty regularly. They obviously talked as approx 1/3 of the drivers had their headlights running full beam all the time with the lights adjusted significantly downwards - their logic being that this provided better lighting for the vast majority of their driving which was on urban and/or street-lit roads. Shit on faster unlit roads however.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s an “if fitted should be working” thing. There are cars with hids without self levelling and a comment about sports cars with firm suspension.

As far as I know testers don’t load the car up to check it’s working, so as long as everything is attached, there are no error messages and the lights are correctly aligned when tested you will get a pass.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:15 pm I thought the French had been using plastic wings on a lot of things for a while.
And the Germans - Touareg & Vito both had/have plastic front wings.
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:47 am
integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:15 pm I thought the French had been using plastic wings on a lot of things for a while.
And the Germans - Touareg & Vito both had/have plastic front wings.
I think Lotus are doing this now too. ;)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m sure loads of people do it now, but I seem to remember one of the clios being one of the first mass produced cars with them back in the 90s maybe?
Cheers, Harry
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

First jobs completed on the BMW is new wipers and a shot of redex in the tank. This weekend I'm wiring in a Bluetooth music adaptor, coding the Aux in port and changing the remote locking receiver ariel.

Slightly longer term, the swirl flaps in my M57 engine are the old screw in type so they're going to get deleted. As the entire thing is probably all gunked up anyway, I might just swap the intake with a pre swirl flap one rather than blanking the ports off and powerwashing crap all over the drive.

I also want to rebadge it. I think changing the badge to 516d would be quite amusing.

Beyond that, i've just checked and the car has had two owners prior to me. It was a repmobile for 30k miles and then one other owner. All the stamps are main dealer, which is nice. in the last year before I bought it, it had done less than £1000 miles. I suspect it's deceased spec.

All the tyres are premium brands with a good amount of tread left. They're 3 different premium brands and includes the obligatory pirelli P6000 or similar.

It's not as comfortable as the Jag but significantly faster and I have to be careful coming out of junctions as it wants to break traction on even medium throttle openings. This needs to be explored in a safe environment. A Maccys car park it probably the best place.
Banal Vapid Platitudes