Holidaying with Kids

duncs500

Holidaying with Kids

Post by duncs500 »

I'm going to go all mumsnet sadly, but we haven't been abroad as a family since the little one was born. I was ok with a staycation in year 1, and thought it would be fine last year, but I've definitely missed it so I'm keen to get a something decent sorted this year.

Anyone got any recommendations on a budget?

At first I was thinking just a little apartment somewhere warm and near a beach, simple enough. But talking to other parents kids clubs would give us a bit of a break, but then obviously £££ more.

All pearls of wisdom welcome. I don't trust all the websites coming up on google.
Broccers

Re: Holidaying with Kids

Post by Broccers »

Congratulations on the family addition. As for holidays no clue.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Watching this one too. We did an all inclusive in Spain last year with our then 4 year old - it was good but the kids club was a bit shit and he didn't really enjoy it.
mik

Post by mik »

We had both of ours away abroad when they were 6 months old. Just booked a family room. Sorted. We used kids club maybe twice evah, so we could go back to the room, and... erm... get some rest,.,, yeah that was it. Kids evening entertainment is invariably awful and was best avoided.

I still have traumatic memories of hunting for diecast Thomas The Tank (not Tomas himself, but his friends - I think it was Percy and Diesel10) engines in the sand on a foreignland beach as eldest miklet decided to bury them and wandered off. Could not be found, and he could not be consoled for hours.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

We went to Majorca when my eldest was about 1 and my wife was carrying my son. It was a disaster from start to finish, everything upset my daughter starting with the airport, then the flight, filling her nappy on the transfer, change of food, change of routine and so on. We went during term time as it was half the cost but there was no kids there and when eating in the Hotel the Maitre d would seat us in the furthest corner away from everyone else like lepers :D

I wanted to come home after week but it would have resulted in divorce. We didn't fly for another 5 years at least :lol:

Center Parcs, Bluestone and Key Camp type places in France are fond memories though. We probably went to Longleat 5 times over the years.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Can you take them to an equivalent of a cattery?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

To be fair, my little boy loved the early evening entertainment in Spain they put on (kid-centric up to about 8pm - then awful crap after).

Centre parcs has been pretty good each year, but we go with all our family so there's other kids to play with.
tim

Post by tim »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:26 pm Can you take them to an equivalent of a cattery?
:lol: :lol: that's a great idea.

We've almost always holidayed as a family at my parents house so cheap n easy, but we have been to a static caravan before now and that was cheap n n fun.

Make the most until until they start school and then you have to pay eleven million pounds for 10 mins in a shit centre parcs during school holiday times.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:19 pm Just booked a family room. Sorted.
This is the key - a family room with a kitchen. You can then control their breakfasts (Cereal, Eggs, etc) and Lunch and can always make their dinner there first and just worry about you and the missus eating out if they're fussy.

Our family often go to Maspalomas on Grand Canaria and stay here at the Palm Oasis. A family room for 2 weeks is about £1300 and there's plenty to do around the hotel, taxi's are easy to get and cheap and there's loads to do in the area and beyond.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:26 pm Can you take them to an equivalent of a cattery?
:lol: Maybe just a cattery, she likes cats and surely there's enough nutrition in cat food for her to survive.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

We go on holiday to get away from cooking!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:19 pm We had both of ours away abroad when they were 6 months old. Just booked a family room. Sorted. We used kids club maybe twice evah, so we could go back to the room, and... erm... get some rest,.,, yeah that was it. Kids evening entertainment is invariably awful and was best avoided.
She's pretty social, loves nursery, other people / kids etc, but I guess there's no guarantee that she won't randomly decide to hate kids club and be miserable there. In which case might not be worth the premium.

That puts me back to plan A of just getting an apartment with two rooms, little kitchen / balcony so the wife and I can sit out drinking wine after we put her to bed. Hotel with a family room could be ok I guess, but I feel like it would be more cramped seeing how much time we'd have to spend in the room. Normally we don't care much about the room as we'd never be in there.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

What we have done a couple of times is rent a house/villa and go away with parents and in-laws. They get priceless family time and you also get a little freedom. Only works if you like your family though 😂
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Bluestone got a mention already. Seconded.
We're off to The Manor House Hotel again this year - probably one for when the kids are a bit older and want to try out loads of stuff (sports, crafts, archery, etc)
All inclusive (or at least, half board) in Portugal and Ibiza have both been good with the kids as no stress finding them food and great weather. Never used kids' clubs - they've just not been interested.

We took them camping for the first time last summer and they loved it, but that's a whole other level of organisation/commitment to get the gear together! The cost of getting all the gear and going away last year wasn't much more than an all-inclusive holiday, so next time it'll be overall cheaper (a bit).

I've found getting somewhere with a second room for the kids to sleep in greatly helps with getting them to go to bed before you do so yourself.

I think an apartment with a beach is gonna be your best bet on a budget. Or a city holiday? (or, e.g. Barcelona, for beach plus city?)
Left over crest; tightens.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

McSwede wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:40 pm What we have done a couple of times is rent a house/villa and go away with parents and in-laws. They get priceless family time and you also get a little freedom. Only works if you like your family though 😂
:D I can add it to the list, but I think it'd be more hassle than it's worth TBH.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

If you're not Florida ready yet, I can highly recommend Duinrell in the Netherlands, especially if your kids are water babies like mine were. Fantastic place, and you can rent some great accommodation and have a lovely Belgian beer watching the sun go down. Go direct rather than eurocamp etc. We still go back years later.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Interesting, will add to the list of potential for next time. Little one is probably too small right now though.

Spent the afternoon looking at stuff and have settled on one of those apartment hotel things in Portugal. Simple reasons really, 30mins to the airport both sides, own pool but close to the beach, but a bit of town around as well, two rooms and balcony. Let's see how it goes!
GG.

Post by GG. »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:10 pm Interesting, will add to the list of potential for next time. Little one is probably too small right now though.

Spent the afternoon looking at stuff and have settled on one of those apartment hotel things in Portugal. Simple reasons really, 30mins to the airport both sides, own pool but close to the beach, but a bit of town around as well, two rooms and balcony. Let's see how it goes!
Was a bit slow to this and looks like the deal is done but was going to suggest Martinhal (there are a few in Portugal).

We went a bit the other way with our son and decided that we weren't going to let having a kid get in our way so at 11 months he went to see my wife's extended family in Hong Kong and then on for a trip to Vietnam. Seeing us pushing our pram around rather spoilt the various gap yar backpackers' illusion that they were in an 'edgy' far flung clime :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Brave man @GG.! I know a few people have done that sort of thing, we had bold dreams of not letting a child stop us doing our thing.. but two years later it's still not working out like that! :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes its very kid dependent. We just happened to have one that didn't mind travelling too much but that's just the luck of the draw.

Probably easier when they're very young to be honest as you have to carry kiddy food with you and no hassle trying to find something they'll eat and they're still napping at odd times anyway so jet lag is less of a thing. Once they're 2+ and eating adult food / sleeping through the night it gets trickier!