Jag sports coupes. Thoughts?

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Jag sports coupes. Thoughts?

Post by Ascender »

I think the F Type is an absolutely stunning car, still turns the head whenever I see one. I've not drive one, but every time I start to get the urge, I do a quick Google and see people moaning about the interior, reliability and customer service so never really get beyond that. Not sure how accurate that actually is because we all know how much noise a minority can make... Difficult to tell I guess but at the moment I just want an easy life from my cars - I want them to start every time; not break down and know I'll get good customer service.

If I was looking to buy one... I'd probably buy an Aston Martin because in for a penny, in for a pound.
Cheers,

Mike.
tim

Post by tim »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:27 amI just want an easy life from my cars - I want them to start every time; not break down
Me too!

Oh. :|
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

The V8 and V6 are pretty reliable, I'd not have a 4 Cylinder one.

They can have some injector issues but not loads, timing chains can be an issue, but not common, as with all Jags, they're hard on suspension parts when they get to higher mileages.

Maim niggles seem to be infotainment system related, but most should be updated and stable(ish) now.

I'd have an F Type or XK, lovely cars.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

A guy I work with had a new f type coupe. It was nice enough but tiny inside. He used to cram a set of golf clubs in it, with his trolley in a case on the front seat. Looked like ballache really, he now has a x3 M40i.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Isn’t the F type V6 the botched one which is literally a V8 block with 2 pistons missing? I’d avoid it for that bit of lazy engineering.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I think you'll find it's called modular. not botched.

Wasn't aware anyone considered it botched, but then I don't follow such things as closely any more.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It's carrying all the weight of a V8 with the power output of a V6, a last minute solution after they broke ties with Ford and suddenly had no other engine options. Less than ideal solution.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:58 pm Isn’t the F type V6 the botched one which is literally a V8 block with 2 pistons missing? I’d avoid it for that bit of lazy engineering.
It is, and I'm surprised Beany hasn't seen criticism of it since we were pretty negative here (or the old forum anyway) about it.

You wouldn't make a V6 with a 90-degree vee if you were doing it properly, let alone having 5 crank bearings :lol:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1534 ... redundant/
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

F-Types are beautifully proportioned, but too large in every direction. I'm currently in a Cayman GTS and very happy. At 69 it will be many years before I could consider a Jaaaag. ;)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:16 pm
Mito Man wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:58 pm Isn’t the F type V6 the botched one which is literally a V8 block with 2 pistons missing? I’d avoid it for that bit of lazy engineering.
It is, and I'm surprised Beany hasn't seen criticism of it since we were pretty negative here (or the old forum anyway) about it.

<snip>

You wouldn't make a V6 with a 90-degree vee if you were doing it properly, let alone having 5 crank bearings :lol:

Ha, no I don't recall it specifically (but then I was hardly in the market for an F-type....these days though....?* ) but fuck me that's amazing. :lol:

*(Nah, £20-30k is still a bit much for me :D )
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

To be honest, the coupe d type doesn't really appeal to me - it needs to be a convertible to me. And I don't really like convertibles.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:14 pm To be honest, the coupe d type doesn't really appeal to me - it needs to be a convertible to me. And I don't really like convertibles.
I'm sure that you meant E type ☺️
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:22 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:14 pm To be honest, the coupe d type doesn't really appeal to me - it needs to be a convertible to me. And I don't really like convertibles.
I'm sure that you meant E type ☺️
I expect that's where it comes from. I really like the look of the rear deck in the f type conv.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

There's a lot to like about the look of them. A chap I used to work with had a lovely metallic blue one when they 1st came out.

Like many others have mentioned, the thought of putting any money into a JLR vehicle would fill me with dread so I'd avoid.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:16 pm

You might not do it that way starting with a fresh sheet but they weren't. You can probably trace similar things back to the start of the company...
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'm surprised they haven't dropped the Ingenium i6 into the F Type yet. I imagine the nose is long enough to accommodate it. Instead they've dropped the v6 and now it's only i4 or v8.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I had a 4.2 XKR for 6 years in Mallorca from new.. minimal mileage (think 18k kms) over the whole period, but it always worked. Stupid size internally, boot was decent.

My mum wanted one, I test drove F-type S conv and preferred it to the SLC she eventually bought, but again it was a massive, heavy car with minimal internal space.
Cheers,

Ian
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Simon wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:00 pm I'm surprised they haven't dropped the Ingenium i6 into the F Type yet. I imagine the nose is long enough to accommodate it. Instead they've dropped the v6 and now it's only i4 or v8.
Having that solid front/top of the cam cover way out the front is a PITA for pedestrian impact.

I6 hasn't turned up in any sedans yet either?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Fun fact about ingenium- it’s just fiat multiair made under license
Simon

Post by Simon »

The valvetrain is at any rate? link
The artist formerly known as _Who_