Twitter

Wibblewobblebeepgaggawacka

1. Its time to leave teh Twitter
No votes
2. I’ll stick it out and see what changes
38%
3. It’s blusterpish as usual. It’s not going to change noticeably.
10%
4. I don’t care, I don’t use Twitter.
21%
5. I don’t care.
26%
6. I just like to wash my hair, and go.
No votes
7. I’ve seen a horse fly
No votes
8. I’ve seen a dragon fly
No votes
9. I’ve seen an elephant fly
No votes
10. My old man’s a dustman
5%

Total votes: 39

drcarlos

Re: Twitter

Post by drcarlos »

Boring and I should be off.work enjoying Xmas
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Borimg
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Boring
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Bored
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Bored
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Bored and should be off work and not talking it
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Should be enjoying being off and not talking work
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

God I wrote a lot when I should be off work and not talking it
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Wow I wrote a lot when I should be enjoying being off work
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Oh wow another
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Oh wow I wrote a lot when. I should be enjoying a break from work.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Nothing wrong with your work ethic then...!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Has to be said, rather than being flippant, I've had a think about places I've worked in the past, and whether or not they've been progressive, and whether or not they've been a shitshow in terms of architecture/documentation/general knowledge of their own platforms.

I can't find a direct link between progressivism being good or bad; there are definitely more confounding issues at hand. The less progressive the org, in my experience however, the less the tech staff get listened to, and so the less resource there is to properly document systems and process, and to implement good policies that support that (because they don't make money, etc)

That said I've worked in some fairly progressive places that have had their issues, but that comes down to there being no-one of an engineering/tech bent being given a voice at a management level. Sure, you'll get good WFH priveliges, loose working hours, free pizza fridays etc, but management don't want to hear about replacing the backup systems because that's boring tech stuff, and your problem, not their problem.

You know, right up till the backups have been silently failing for six months because you don't have the resources to do a DR test, because management can't see the value in it, and you catastrophically lose all the years pupil records, exam results, etc....

....no, I wasn't that tech - I was the contractor brought into help recover from it....while that tech was suspended on full pay for nearly a year before being let go.

That said, much larger orgs with hundreds or thousands of staff are a different beast - I'd imagine you need respected techs (or at least tech sympathetic people) at the board level to implement decent policies in that instance, as even senior middle management can get overruled by a bad board when it comes to resource allocation.

So what have I learned from this?

Also @drcarlos yeah, same here; why am I overthinking this when I should be arranging going out for dinner with a mate :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

How many tech jobs have you had Beany, from which you're drawing this constant stream of expert opinion? Just wondering like :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:16 pm Oh wow I wrote a lot when. I should be enjoying a break from work.
you've clearly finished for the year, why don't you just go home/stop working?
Beany

Post by Beany »

tim wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:34 pm How many tech jobs have you had Beany, from which you're drawing this constant stream of expert opinion? Just wondering like :)
Excluding non 'professional' jobs (call centre/basic helldesk shite) cos they don't really count, seven proper platform management-esque jobs over some twenty years across multiple industries. Feels like more than that. So much more than that.

And besides, we all know I don't need this thing you mere mortals call 'experience', I just know these things as this place constantly re-affirms ;)
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Has Carlos been been hacked or something?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I think it’s his broccers moment
Cheers, Harry
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Beany wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:07 am Watching him tank everything he's touched in his life, in real time, through nothing more than his own grating personality is fucking hilarious.
I don’t get why anyone gives this level of fuck. I don’t use Twitter but even if I did I don’t think I’d really care about any of this. Or get even close to finding it HILARIOUS.
Beany

Post by Beany »

What can I say, seeing cock-sure billionaires get taken down a peg or three is my kink.

Completely unrelated: