Your fleet running reports

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Delphi »

Dropped off the new A/C condenser at the body shop and had a look round the car - sills aside, it's absolutely solid everywhere and is in remarkable shape. Discovered the headlight washers weren't connected but aside from that, no major dramas. Think I'm going to have to stump up for a new windscreen as it's starting to delaminate in the bottom left corner and it also has a chip in it. New paint will only highlight this and ruin the look. Debating whether to try and claim on the windscreen cover (£150 excess, assuming I can claim when the car is in a bodyshop) or just buy a new one from Rose Passion (£468)
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Delphi wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:16 pm Dropped off the new A/C condenser at the body shop and had a look round the car - sills aside, it's absolutely solid everywhere and is in remarkable shape. Discovered the headlight washers weren't connected but aside from that, no major dramas. Think I'm going to have to stump up for a new windscreen as it's starting to delaminate in the bottom left corner and it also has a chip in it. New paint will only highlight this and ruin the look. Debating whether to try and claim on the windscreen cover (£150 excess, assuming I can claim when the car is in a bodyshop) or just buy a new one from Rose Passion (£468)
They won't cover delamination unless it has got to the point it fails an MOT. I've got delamination on the TVR too. Windscreen chap who fitted the screen in the Berlingo said to tell them it was cracked and not delaminated.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:20 pm I can already see those rear side windows wobbling at speeds above 21mph :lol:
DeskJockey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:51 am It's a 1.1, can it go that fast?
Oh, yeah, easily...
IIrc that ones's a cvt, if the windows wobbled with the roof down you probably wouldn't hear it (fwiw the XR2 ones didn't).
Looking for those pics got me looking at Fiestas again :roll: :(
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:20 pm
Delphi wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:16 pm Dropped off the new A/C condenser at the body shop and had a look round the car - sills aside, it's absolutely solid everywhere and is in remarkable shape. Discovered the headlight washers weren't connected but aside from that, no major dramas. Think I'm going to have to stump up for a new windscreen as it's starting to delaminate in the bottom left corner and it also has a chip in it. New paint will only highlight this and ruin the look. Debating whether to try and claim on the windscreen cover (£150 excess, assuming I can claim when the car is in a bodyshop) or just buy a new one from Rose Passion (£468)
They won't cover delamination unless it has got to the point it fails an MOT. I've got delamination on the TVR too. Windscreen chap who fitted the screen in the Berlingo said to tell them it was cracked and not delaminated.
Would be terrible if it was both delaminated and also had an impact from a hard object which created a non-repairable chip / crack in the screen.
Cheers, Harry
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:05 pm
drcarlos wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:20 pm
Would be terrible if it was both delaminated and also had an impact from a hard object which created a non-repairable chip / crack in the screen.
;)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Do you want the Autoglass trainee putting a new screen in your restored 928...?
tim

Post by tim »

My first car was a new D reg Fiesta 1.1L and I had an indicated 106 out of it once, but it took a looooooooong bit of the M25 and a slightly downhill :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

tim wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:22 pm
My first car was a new D reg Fiesta 1.1L and I had an indicated 106 out of it once, but it took a looooooooong bit of the M25 and a slightly downhill :D
That sounds scary.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
tim

Post by tim »

Not really, just noisy!
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 pm Do you want the Autoglass trainee putting a new screen in your restored 928...?
Precisely the reason I'm leaning towards spending the cash in buying a new windscreen.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Can't claim such excitement, but I am doing a round trip to Edinburgh from Leeds in a couple of weeks time, in a car that hasn't done more than 70 miles at most in one shot since I've owned it due to a mix of covid, money and laziness.

What do we think will break? :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:05 pm
The motorway speed limit
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:13 pm
Beany wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:05 pm
The motorway speed limit
Hmm, what satnavs/apps give decent warnings of speed cameras and cameravan hotspots these days? It's been a while since I did a proper cannonball run :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Waze. Whenever I drive my shonky old BMW I take 10 litres of water with me :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I did 250 miles this evening in my 25 year old one and it was fine.

I guess the only thing a longer journey might show up that lots of smaller ones wouldn’t is something like a sticky caliper 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cheers, Harry
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

TTs front right tyre was needing air every few days, into garage, one new valve. Happy days, the last puncture on the Merc was £160 ish for a new trye for one with minimal wear!

Also got MOTd and serviced a few weeks ago, £230 ish seems pretty reasonable.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I think the Dooper is sold. A really nice chap came to view it yesterday and - Sod's Law - the car randomly cut out while sitting idling on the drive and triggered the EML :roll: There's a persistent error code pointing to the throttle body. It still drives fine though. He likes the car and wants it, we just need to work out a deal, either I fix it or we knock the price down. I'm erring on giving him the discount and letting it go with a clear conscience, rather than worrying whether I've really fixed or not.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Looks like it’s actually the front diff that’s crapped itself on the x5.

Was swapping to the winter wheels and noticed I could spin the lifted wheel freely without it trying to turn the input shaft or the other wheel. Seems it’s more open than even a normal open diff.

Doesn’t look too bad to change, hoping that’s the cause of the 4x4 error and it doesn’t need a transfer box as well 😬
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Is that a common failure on X5s ? Diffs are generally pretty tough. Unless they've lost their oil somehow.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Washer jets diagnosed as a faulty one way valve. Pushed the two pieces of pipe together for now until the new one arrives. £2.29 posted for the new one.