New iPhones

ShockDiamonds

New iPhones

Post by ShockDiamonds »

6S Plus is now up to be replaced, so been looking around. Google suggesting that the September/October launches will all look like the X does, only progressively bigger. Not convinced by the design though, I like the home button, 8 Plus seems to be best bet given the spec is per the X minus the funky screen. Anybody with an X and can tell me they love it?
dan

Re: New iPhones

Post by dan »

X is ace, phones with buttons now seem prehistoric.

Change is good!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

dan wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:17 pm X is ace, phones with buttons now seem prehistoric.

Change is good!
Does it respond immediately when you pick it up, because I'm told you can unlock it via the button pad on the screen, too?
dan

Post by dan »

Yes, apart from the odd occasion when it doesn’t spot you instantly it’s even quicker to unlock than finger print id, not that it was ever an issue anyway.
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I'm waiting to see what the new ones are like before upgrading my 7. It's so close to the new versions coming out, it's probably worth holding on I'd of thought. I've not experienced the FaceID, so interested if you just adapt to it and then forget about it.

Apparently 3 models are being released, or so the rumour mill has it. A lower end one with LCD screen that sits in the middle of the new "X" and "X Plus" size wise, but a reduced spec to keep the price down. Then an updated version of the X and a bigger X. Assume standard spec bump, improved cameras and iOS12 etc...
scotta

Post by scotta »

I renewed the contract on my 6 last year. Basically as i didnt see the 7 to be much of an upgrade and the 8 and X too expensive.

I have however seen a deal on Skymobule for an 8 at a decent rate so when it ends i might get one of those. Will mean a switch to O2 though - who IIRC are a bit shit?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I sometimes still prefer the Touch ID on my works 6S, but in general I’m a big fan of my X. The 6S screen seems tiny in comparison, yet the overall phone size is about the same size - that’s the biggest improvement (and the camera).
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The iPhone X is my favourite iPhone they've done, by some distance. TouchID seems positively primitive when you go back to it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Fingerprint reading seems a much better thing for Apple Pay than Face ID.

I don't mind Face ID in principle; my Surface Pro does it for logging in. The thing I dislike about the X is the notch at the top of the screen.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:58 am Fingerprint reading seems a much better thing for Apple Pay than Face ID.

I don't mind Face ID in principle; my Surface Pro does it for logging in. The thing I dislike about the X is the notch at the top of the screen.
the Apple Pay set up on the X is way better than the finger print. Just seems to flow better from daily experience of both set ups.

The notch makes absolutely no difference because the clock and the network/battery symbols tuck themselves neatly in the gaps.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

When you are watching a video in landscape mode, does the full screen expand around the notch, cutting a bit off?

As for Apple Pay, you have to have the camera looking at your face I assume? That's fine until the terminal isn't conveniently placed.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:31 am When you are watching a video in landscape mode, does the full screen expand around the notch, cutting a bit off?

As for Apple Pay, you have to have the camera looking at your face I assume? That's fine until the terminal isn't conveniently placed.
i watch a lot of stuff on my phone and I’ve never even noticed what it does, so it’s clearly not an issue.

For payment, you double tap the side button, look at the screen, then hold it near the terminal. Not at the same time. The terminal could be anywhere within reach.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Ah, so two steps rather than one to use Apple Pay. That's the future, that is :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Resting my finger on the button as I hold it over the terminal seems a lot more intuitive tbh
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm Ah, so two steps rather than one to use Apple Pay. That's the future, that is :lol:
Try one, you can do it all at the same time if you really want - but it works so nicely that it’s really not worth getting upset over.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:58 am Fingerprint reading seems a much better thing for Apple Pay than Face ID.

I’ve used a X since launch

Face ID is much better and faster now since when it launched, and I’m happy to lose the TouchID button in exchange for a full screen. But Jobbo Is Correct, the fingerprint (TouchID) system works significantly better for payments - just thrust phone blindly at machine with thumb covering the button. With FaceID, you double click the power button, show phone your face, then thrust it at the payment machine

FaceID also denies my face much more than TouchID ever did. Probably 10x-20x more often

The notch isn’t a problem at all tho. I never notice it now. It took 2-3 days at the most for it to disappear. Loads of phones use them now too, so it’s becoming the norm
ste

Post by ste »

How do you get back to Home? I tried one in the Apple store and gave up.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

ste wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:09 pm How do you get back to Home? I tried one in the Apple store and gave up.
Click your heels three times
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Ste, since we're going to have to learn these things in future I googled it.

To get to the home screen, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen - how you currently get to control centre.

To get to control centre, you swipe down from the top right of the screen. Notifications are accessed by swiping down from the top elsewhere.

ETA: googling it has prompted me to turn 'Reachability' off - I've never used it intentionally and it always annoys me when the icons slide down.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Richard wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 pm

I’ve used a X since launch

Face ID is much better and faster now since when it launched, and I’m happy to lose the TouchID button in exchange for a full screen. But Jobbo Is Correct, the fingerprint (TouchID) system works significantly better for payments - just thrust phone blindly at machine with thumb covering the button. With FaceID, you double click the power button, show phone your face, then thrust it at the payment machine

FaceID also denies my face much more than TouchID ever did. Probably 10x-20x more often

The notch isn’t a problem at all tho. I never notice it now. It took 2-3 days at the most for it to disappear. Loads of phones use them now too, so it’s becoming the norm
i find the opposite for payment - horses for courses I guess.