Car Insurance Renewal Roulette

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Re: Car Insurance Renewal Roulette

Post by 16vCento »

Just had the renewal through for the XF, 443 quid, 170 more than last year!

Managed to get it for £303 in the end, not sure what the price increase was based on, but it seems other insurers disagree with Avivas risk assessment.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Citroen is insured with Esure. Had my renewal through which had small print saying that all prices matched new customer prices. Searched on a comparison site anyway of course and my renewal quote was beaten by £76 by... Esure Flex. Are they trolling me?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Just had an odd thing, took my plate off the car as it’s hopefully being sold, told the insurance and they refunded £3. Now I know £3 isn’t much but the policy only has 2 month to run, multiply that over the year and it’s a significant proportion of the premium as I only pay £280 a year. I didn’t even know they took private plates into account and charged extra.
Last edited by Zonda_ on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I had the reverse, when I put my plate on I got refunded £11.

Very odd.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'm waiting on an NIP at the moment and my insurance is due in the 18th. I've done a load of "banker" quotes for each and If I get a speed awareness course, it's £550 insurance. If I get 3 points, it's £780!

I did a SAC last year though, so I've basically got no chance... boo!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I did 2 in 2 years with Thames Valley Police so you never know Rich...

Mind you, one was 35 in a 30 and the other was 82 on the Motorway so two different "offences" as such.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

@Rich B Is it worth just taking a policy now and notifying them later? It’s a while since I had any points, so things might have changed, but I have never had to pay any extra in the past when notifying my insurer whilst the policy was running?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:39 am I did 2 in 2 years with Thames Valley Police so you never know Rich...

Mind you, one was 35 in a 30 and the other was 82 on the Motorway so two different "offences" as such.
It used to be the case that a motorway offence speed awareness course was different to a non-motorway one and they were treated individually. Not sure if that is still the case.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:45 am @Rich B Is it worth just taking a policy now and notifying them later? It’s a while since I had any points, so things might have changed, but I have never had to pay any extra in the past when notifying my insurer whilst the policy was running?
not really, the NIP was from the 1st November, so I'll definitely know either way by the 18th December.

I can't actually remember what the one last year was for, there's a chance it was for the exact same offence in the exact same location through... not learnt my lesson there.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Just had my renewal notice, down from £250 to £222. I’m not even going to bother looking for a cheaper price for fully comp protected!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The MX5 renewal has come through at £106 fully comp. Happy days.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ours are up middle of next month. Renewal nearly £100 more than last year, but so far the savings by looking elsewhere have been meagre and would involve two different providers. Not sure I can be bothered for £40ish. But, still have a few options to investigate.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mine has gone up £80, which means I'm going to have to move providers, it was a smidge over last year but I couldn't be bothered to change. The gap is too big now to ignore.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I saw that Tesla premiums have gone up a lot.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Mercedes renewal came through, up from £270 to £330. Quick meerkat search shows plenty for around the £270 so Aviva can gtfo.

Edit to add New policy £263 and also noticed that the model of the two ton diesel estate includes the word "sport" in it. :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm giving up.

Thought I'd try Aviva and Directline again just to check. Aviva wanted nearly £1,100 which is a bit steep. But DL asked £1,200 just for the Zoe :shock:

So, I can save about £40 if I want to have the cars with different providers or just stick with LV.

Pants.
---
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Swapped the reg from the mito to the x5 and zenith upped the premium a bit which I thought was weird, but wasn’t much so didn’t pay a lot of attention.

They emailed today to say they realised I’d only wanted to change the reg number not the car so are refunding me £4 a month or something. Very strange, as all the forms / pages on the site made it clear I was only changing the reg number not any of the other details.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

While not car insurance, the home policy is up shortly too, but no worry our current provider has sent through the automatic renewal and they're only charging us 50% more than last year! So, add that to the list of things to spend an evening on.
---
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Any particular recommendations for insurers at the moment?

I tried Adrian Flux for the Touring and they only want £50 more than VL currently do for the M2 despite it being double the value, although it does have a tracker. At least its not a Range Rover I guess...
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I just do the comparison sites. All the direct ones - AF, DL, etc just come out ridiculous money And take ages to do.