Gavster's Mince Pie Ranking 2021 (now inc NEW 2022 updates)

mik

Re: Gavster's Mince Pie Ranking 2021

Post by mik »

*Thread Needs Title Amendment*
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:52 am *Thread Needs Title Amendment*
mik

Post by mik »

Gavster wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 am
I may have momentarily FORGOTTEN that I STARTED this (feckin) THREAD..... :oops:
dinny_g

Re: Gavster's Mince Pie Ranking 2021 (now inc NEW 2022 updates)

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

mik wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:16 am
Gavster wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 am
I may have momentarily FORGOTTEN that I STARTED this (feckin) THREAD..... :oops:
TBH it took me a moment to work out why I couldn't find a way to edit the title :lol:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

This reminds me that I need to make mincemeat up for this year's mince pies. The key is the whole boiled lemon (sans pips obvs).
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It. Isn't. Even. Halfway. Through. October. Yet!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:54 pm It. Isn't. Even. Halfway. Through. October. Yet!
OOoooooohhhhh it gets earlier every year :lol:

If that was true then we'd be eating them in March
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

On a work call and one of the others already has a Santa avatar and is listening to Christmas radio. It is wrong!
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:45 am I have 8-)

Mince pies in stock at our local Co-op. I’ll make a start on them for elevenses.
So what were they like?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:44 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:45 am I have 8-)

Mince pies in stock at our local Co-op. I’ll make a start on them for elevenses.
So what were they like?
Shamefully I've only eaten one so far. Pastry & filling both good. No shortage of filling either; they could get away with less imo but I can understand this is a personal preference. I'm a big fan of carbs.

I can't give it five stars without trying out the competition but it's a solid 4+ and I'll reserve the right to boost it to the gold league later on.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Funnily enough, I caved in yesterday as well, and bought some Mr.Kiplings as last night's dessert.

Obviously nothing to write home about because they're Mr. Kiplings, but a good reminder that even a mediocre mince pie is pretty damn tasty.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Conundrum for forum members of the slightly more scientific/geekier/maths/excel persuasion :)

I want to develop a way of rating mince pies in the context of the cost-of-living crisis, by adding a weighting to the score that modifies the taste test result in relation to value for money.

The process would be to do a blind taste test and rate the pie between 1 to 10. Then take that score at modify it based on a measure of financial cost. For the financial cost units I'm torn between £/100g or £/pie. The size of the pie could be quite an important factor, so I'm leaning towards £/100g to create a level playing field.

Should it simply be a scale based on the relative prices of the different pies? E.g. if the price per 100g ranges from £0.50 to £4.33, then convert that to a scale and apply it to each pie's rating, from the cheapest pie getting a boost and most expensive getting a penalty?

Or does this need to be a human feedback point, e.g. we need to manually rate them for VFM after tasting, to get two scores, and then add them together.

Or is there another way to approach this?

🤔

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

There are many ways to skin a cat ! You'll probably need to try out a few to see what gives you a sensible answer. You might want to add/remove <x> points, or you might want to scale the taste score by some % factor. Depending on the spread of data those might give very different outcomes.

For starters I think I'd try a scale based on min & max costs where the cheapest gets a boost representing VFM. If your price/100g is <x>:

(max - <x>)/(max - min)

gives you a spread based from 1 (aka 100%) for the cheapest to 0 for the most expensive. Multiply that by a factor and add that to the taste score ? Or the factor could be the spread between min & max taste scores.

Trial and error. Have a play around.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Tried the Aldi specially selected almond topped mince pie tarts an interesting twist on the seasonal fave. Even the wife enjoyed them and she usually dislikes any shop bought mince pie.
It's only in recent years I've started to like them (probably along with when I started to like real ales) as my tastes have changed. It's now nice to partake in the yearly consumption of something I really never liked before.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

On the wider topic of mince pies:

1) I have already tried the Co-op "luxury" mince pies (£2.25 for 6) which were very nice, last weekend we also tried the Co-op "standard" mince pies (£1 for 6) and they were surprisingly decent, really not that far behind and for less than half the price. Good VFM.

2) Can someone go and get Costco mince pies ? I don't have a Costco card any more. They used to do really good mince pies that were *huge*, they were about twice the diameter of normal ones, which must make them 4x the weight pro-rata. It'll be interesting to see how that plays into the VFM.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I loathe mince pies but my Dad loved them, it will be very strange not to see him enjoying them this year. :(
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:08 pm There are many ways to skin a cat ! You'll probably need to try out a few to see what gives you a sensible answer. You might want to add/remove <x> points, or you might want to scale the taste score by some % factor. Depending on the spread of data those might give very different outcomes.

For starters I think I'd try a scale based on min & max costs where the cheapest gets a boost representing VFM. If your price/100g is <x>:

(max - <x>)/(max - min)

gives you a spread based from 1 (aka 100%) for the cheapest to 0 for the most expensive. Multiply that by a factor and add that to the taste score ? Or the factor could be the spread between min & max taste scores.

Trial and error. Have a play around.
Shouldn't the VFM boost be based on taste? So, if a low cost pie tastes really good it gets a boost compared to a more expensive one that tastes about the same. However if the low cost option is awful then it doesn't get a boost as it represents poor value even if the cost is low.
---
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I hate to interrupt but

AMAZING MINCE PIE ALERT

M&S Cookie Cup Mince Pie

Uses cookie dough pastry and it is out of this world. The mince is on point as well.
I have only seen them sold individually, presumably owing to risk of addiction.
mik

Post by mik »

8-)

@Gavster I wish to reciprocate with wonderful news for you too.