The Watches Thread

PreacherCain

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by PreacherCain »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:28 pm Properly nice, especially on that strap. You can throw the other alarm clock in the bin now ;)
Do Yu want to buy it? :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Turtle comes on a Seiko Z22 silicon rubber strap; it's much nicer than I expected, but I wore it for one day and it still got a bit sweaty so I had to change it. While I love that strap, Rob, I suspect I'd suffer the same way. Don't want my sweat corroding the spring bars, eh?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I couldn’t be doing with those weird little details/gaps where the strap and watch meet - rubber straps need to be specific to the model or just like a leather one imo.

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I think we discuss watch straps too much.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I think Rich is obsessed. Fortunately, there's a website for that: https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:59 pm I think Rich is obsessed. Fortunately, there's a website for that: https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/
Owatch bsession?
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:57 pm I think we discuss watch straps too much.
I agree.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:59 pm I think Rich is obsessed. Fortunately, there's a website for that: https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/
Owatch bsession?
:lol: Never noticed that before!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:54 pm I couldn’t be doing with those weird little details/gaps where the strap and watch meet - rubber straps need to be specific to the model or just like a leather one imo.

Similar to mine, except mines the original strap which came with the watch
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I finally dug out my SUN019 (the Seiko which makes the Big Freaking Kinetic look small) over the weekend. It needs a good thorough charge because I probably hadn't worn it in 18 months so the cell had totally discharged. The size of it is part of the joy of it; it's heavy and you feel that on your wrist when you put it on, and it looks great with a T-shirt.

Not sure how often I will wear it in future but I'll aim to do so enough to keep the cell charged at least :lol:

ETA: I said when Rob posted a picture of his that I must put mine on a NATO. I had forgotten it has 24mm lug spacing so I don't have any NATOs suitable, but actually I really like the bracelet on it. The end links fill the gap between the lugs nicely and continue the shape of the case/shroud, and the links look like the segments of some sort of armoured creature.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:49 pm I finally dug out my SUN019 (the Seiko which makes the Big Freaking Kinetic look small) over the weekend. It needs a good thorough charge because I probably hadn't worn it in 18 months so the cell had totally discharged. The size of it is part of the joy of it; it's heavy and you feel that on your wrist when you put it on, and it looks great with a T-shirt.

Not sure how often I will wear it in future but I'll aim to do so enough to keep the cell charged at least :lol:

ETA: I said when Rob posted a picture of his that I must put mine on a NATO. I had forgotten it has 24mm lug spacing so I don't have any NATOs suitable, but actually I really like the bracelet on it. The end links fill the gap between the lugs nicely and continue the shape of the case/shroud, and the links look like the segments of some sort of armoured creature.
I like that quite a bit.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Quite fancy one of these - kickstarter uk brand. Swiss auto movement on this one for about £300.

Hamtun Neon. Various colour options available.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I've just sent three watches off for servicing and battery replacements.

The Invicta 4903 needs the start/stop button fixing. It was bent when I dropped the watch.

The other Invicta needs the second hand realigning (tried all the normal ways), it is a quarter second off the dial mark.

The Citizen dive watch just needs a battery. 17 years old and still rock solid. I'll also order a battery and o ring kit for my Suunto Vyper as that needs a bit of love too.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Panic! The Casio I've been using again since sending the others off for repairs ran out of battery, so I've had a naked wrist for almost a week. Luckily they called to say that the dive watch was back and ready for collection yesterday. It looks and feels a small compared to what I normally wear, but it'll do for now.

They also told me that the 4903 had broken part of the movement when it fell and bent the start/stop pusher (what they call a button apparently), so they'll have to replace it. As it is my favourite watch I've accepted the £145 charge to fix it.

No news about the other Invicta.
---
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Stumbled across this at the weekend:

Quite like it (apart from the rather weedy looking date window - think it would be nicer without).

The hour markers make me think of battery symbols :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I have two Orients and one Orient Star. They're all nice watches, and they all make a slight noise when the rotor goes round. Which may or may not bother you; it bothers me a bit on the Orient Star since that's supposed to be higher end.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I’ve had my Speedmaster for 3 years now

I think I can’t be bothered to get it serviced. Am I making a colossal mistake?

Please leave your opinions here, for me to almost certainly ignore, as per forum tradition
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Richard wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm I’ve had my Speedmaster for 3 years now

I think I can’t be bothered to get it serviced. Am I making a colossal mistake?

Please leave your opinions here, for me to almost certainly ignore, as per forum tradition
Won't you think of the children, you monster!
---
mik

Post by mik »

I thought it was 5yrs service intervals?
Richard

Post by Richard »

mik wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm I thought it was 5yrs service intervals?
Some places say 3 years. Some 4 to 8 years