Cyclists - turbo trainer advice

mik

Cyclists - turbo trainer advice

Post by mik »

I fancy a compact-ish turbo trainer for winter to put in place of our old treadmill that died tonight. I am the only one that uses that and i dont enjoy running at all.

I have a £500 road bike so nothing £stoopid.

Why should i not buy something like this :?:
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Cyclists - turbo trainer advice

Post by IanF »

I have a Tacx one, and would recommend one where you can adjust the resistance. Tbh, I haven’t used mine for ages, just get different tyres or a MTB for winter...
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

Hmm. Or should i be getting some rollerz ?
ste

Post by ste »

Nope, turbo is better.

I’m about to upgrade mine and if you want a solid Tacx I’ll flog you mine if you’re interested. It’s a Satori, but a dumb trainer (ie pre-smart).

I’m going to invest in something smart for the winter and swallow my distaste for Zwift.
mik

Post by mik »

I could be intesrestificated. Unless you have created a mod thread with twentington millionty pictures and want to charge me £ouch
John

Post by John »

ste wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:19 am

I’m going to invest in something smart for the winter and swallow my distaste for Zwift.
I've got the Elite Direto direct drive and it's very good, although it is my first trainer so nothing to compare it with. Halfords quite often have offers on cycling gear and with a discount they were offering at the time plus 10% British Cycling discount and Quidco cashback I paid around £450.
ste

Post by ste »

mik wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:27 am I could be intesrestificated. Unless you have created a mod thread with twentington millionty pictures and want to charge me £ouch
I shall send you the link to my buildthread on trainerweenies.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

John wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:29 am
ste wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:19 am

I've got the Elite Direto direct drive and it's very good, although it is my first trainer so nothing to compare it with. Halfords quite often have offers on cycling gear and with a discount they were offering at the time plus 10% British Cycling discount and Quidco cashback I paid around £450.
That’s the same one I bought after doing way too much research in to them. The general verdict seemed to be it was a gamechanger (along with a couple of other models which came out at the same time) as it was packing features previously seen in trainers costing £1000+.

Anyway, I really like it - I’m not a cyclist so use it for cross training and rest days when I’m not running so have it setup with Zwift and it’s amazing how good a workout you can get on it. I can also see how addictive it could become and there’s loads of smart apps available with training programs to choose from.
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I also have one that has been out the box five times. It was used by the Italian Cycle team I think it said on the box and has variable resistance. Just don't use your brakes!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

They've just added the Innsbruck courses in to Zwift - as someone who isn't a cyclist, I made the mistake of picking one of those course to do on a rest day yesterday - by the time I finished I'd have been more dry if I'd sat in a bath for an hour.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

I think i am going to get a smart Satori - coming in at under £200 delivered.