EV Thread

Brannen

Re: EV Thread

Post by Brannen »

Yeah, that does seem like an issue. I wonder if these bigger SUV type EVs are even longer to break even on their carbon footprint?

The Volvo XC40 in a previous study suggested 68,000 miles for breaking even on a normal petrol version (lower if from renewables). The XC40 apparently weighs up to 2188kg. Another 600kg has to be even more before offsetting their carbon footprint?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I guess it is the same old cycle: customers want aspirational vehicles and with big SUVs manufacturers can charge a premium, compared to the electric equivalent of a base spec Focus/Astra/C-segment car.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

BMW iX is 2.6t I think. Even an ICE XC90 is 2.3t. New Range Rover can exceed 2.8t depending on spec.

Anyway, refreshingly on the other end of the scale - I saw Elliot, the guy that does the China-based stuff for Fully Charged has ordered a Xiaopaiche SC-01, I'd not heard of them and it looks ace. Concept Stratos-esque design, sub 1.5t weight, 400+bhp, 200+ mile range.

https://www.arenaev.com/another_ev_star ... ws-767.php

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

$1200 unlock per year :?: :shock:
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Yeah, there’s a lot of talk about this sort of thing. Basically, car manufacturers will create more standardised cars with a lot of items fitted and will then activate the ones you pay for. Simplifies the manufacturing process plus is a sub format going forward so more cash. Should make car purchases simpler as well as you’ll be able to get your perfect spec, even on a second hand car. I’ve heard there’ll be 1 yr, 3 yr and always on options
Cheers,

Ian
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I had suggested ages ago that it would be Tesla who would start tiered subs for cars.

I still see a point where you’ll just pay a sub for the whole car and use add ons for what you want. Wouldn’t be surprised to see ads on the infotainment in the base sub.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Everyone said Tesla would be the first to go for the sub model but they ended up doing all the power, track, security and range updates for free. To put that into perspective, the biggest cvnt in the world is more generous than the big German manufacturers so far. And that's a pretty scary thought.
How about not having a sig at all?
tim

Post by tim »

You can already "subscribe" to an entire Volvo.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

tim wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:02 pm You can already "subscribe" to an entire Volvo.
Onto is more than Volvos.. it’s an interesting idea. No deposit, pay a monthly and change when you want
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

Possibly of some use in Middle East, but….

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Finally, a compelling reason to get an EV!!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Met up with a load of work people last week and at some point, someone turned the conversation to EVs and the consensus from a bunch of non-petrolheads was pretty much what you could guess, but interesting nonetheless.

Charging network is rubbish. I've heard lots of the chargers are often broken. All the EVs seem really expensive and the ones with the really good ranges are even more expensive. Want one that charges fast on a journey? They're even more expensive. Why would I want to plan journeys around charging, let alone with all of the above factors to complicate things further.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

We have one car at the moment and so, with our typical use, EV's are not a suitable solution. In the next few years, we'll buy a second car (as my son can't drive mine until he's 25) and at that point, I will look into the EV options around my car scheme but the second car will still be IC. We'll try to use the EV day to day where possible and have the IC for longer journeys or those journeys where charging at the destination is not an option (Wasdale Head anyone ??)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t see the point of EVs much now until we’re forced into them. Cost £30 to fill the Model 3 from 40% to 90% which is about just over 100 miles real world - that’s like 30 mpg equivalent.
So as it stands they’re overpriced, inconvenient to charge, no longer cost peanuts to run, no longer free to park in London, will soon be subject to road tax and no doubt all the other shite like congestion charges once enough people have adopted them.
And then the next new thing will come along which the government will want to force us into, because environment and think of all the little kids dying mining cobalt and lithium.
How about not having a sig at all?
Barry

Post by Barry »

The way current lease deals are going I'm not convinced I'll get another EV straight away, when the current lease is up. The cost benefits are running out fast, and the network just isn't improving at a rate that makes me comfortable just assuming I can charge everywhere.

Current one (Niro) is great tbh, lovely daily wafter, enough range for general use so I don't need public charging. Shame that even leasing the same car again is currently about £100/mnth above my current deal.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Only one of our use cases fits with an EV, the wifes van and I'm sure as shit not putting 30k+ into a dog van.

Would have another Berlingo if we were forced to change but would prefer something with a little petrol lump rather than derv.
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

IanF wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:56 pm https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... s-revealed

1.86seconds! Madness!
0-124mph in 4.49s is even more mind bending for me. Veyron does the same in 6.1secs :shock:
Simon

Post by Simon »

It was obvious that all the benefits of an EV, including no road tax, would disappear eventually. They're only used as a sweetener to get early adopters to move over - they're not sustainable for everyone or forever.

Now imaging the fuel tax equivalent is put onto leccy or other road charging to make up for that shortfall and EV's will be even more expensive than petrol/diesel cars to run. The government can't wave goodbye to £40 billion a year in fuel duty.
The artist formerly known as _Who_